Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:14 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Thank you for your simple directions. You're many years too late Captain Obvious. Tell your husband that he should really keep to himself. Just because he lacks the mental fortitude to understand me that doesn't mean I'm liable for that.

My husband would run rings around you. He's more of a man than you could even hope to be. Stop being such a bitter and miserable douchebag. Your negatively permeated every single one of your posts and makes you look like a bitter misogynist. There's little to understand about you, and what there is, isn't worth bothering about. Now off to your warthole, aka as ignored from now on for being not worth my time.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:16 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I feel really good. I got to relax today and my partner has left to see her family for Thanksgiving. Another year where I've won this battle and I get to stay home and sleep in. Another year where I don't have to deal with her overbearing family and another year of just silent bliss.
I can relate. Enjoy your solo time. In-laws can be weird. I'm always embarrassed when I have to inflict my family/relatives on some innocent soul. Enjoy.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:18 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
My husband would run rings around you. He's more of a man than you could even hope to be. Stop being such a bitter and miserable douchebag. Your negatively permeated every single one of your posts and makes you look like a bitter misogynist. There's little to understand about you, and what there is, isn't worth bothering about. Now off to your warthole!
Aww poor you. I didn't mean to strike a nerve about your husband. Run to your husband's defense as I'm sure he needs it. He's more of a man? Where is your evidence? Are you going to find some other study? I'm a bitter misogynist? That's weird. I don't recall insulting women. I'm not negative at all. I guess your perception is your reality. There is little that you can understand about me yes. That doesn't mean there is little to understand because if it was then you would be able to summarize me completely. So while I do appreciate your invitation for me to go away. I must say ladies first.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
I feel really good. I got to relax today and my partner has left to see her family for Thanksgiving. Another year where I've won this battle and I get to stay home and sleep in. Another year where I don't have to deal with her overbearing family and another year of just silent bliss.
Isn't that great? I get to sleep in as well. No need to see my mother's annoying freaking relatives who are loud, obnoxious, and overbearing.
Enjoy your alone time. Hope your girlfriend has some great solo time with her relatives. Looks like both of you get what you wanted. =)

Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Isn't that great? I get to sleep in as well. No need to see my mother's annoying freaking relatives who are loud, obnoxious, and overbearing.
Enjoy your alone time. Hope your girlfriend has some great solo time with her relatives. Looks like both of you get what you wanted. =)
Hopefully she enjoys it as well. Though I know what she really wanted is to drag me with her.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Over the past several decades, America has witnessed a profound change in the way women view men and marriage. It began with the baby boomer adage “never depend on a man.”

This message resulted in a generation of women who turned their attention away from the home and onto the workforce. They did what their mothers told them to do: they became financially independent so they’d never have to rely on a husband.

Why women still need husbands | Fox News

Thank you Fox News (Ms Venker) for stating the obvious as I wade into the murky waters.

Some thoughts after reading the article. It is funny how these thoughts manifest themselves over the years. There's an old George Burns and Gracie Allen routine, where she's being encouraged to pursue her career outside of her 'Burns and Allen' couple i.e. marriage, and I'm paraphrasing as best I can recall it, but when she is encouraged to pursue her career in spite of relationship / marriage she replies, "yes, but you can't warm your feet on your career". Just as Ms. Venker alludes to in the statement, "Financial independence is a great thing but you can't take your paycheck to bed with you".

The feminist movement as it played out (IMO) sold females bunch of lies about being able to 'have it all' by letting the vocal 'anti men minority' get lots more media time, and in turn, color the dialogue into "us versus them" (Competing Against versus Competing With) without trying to foster understanding (yes and I know, the understanding is a two way street).

Basically, what it accomplished was to devalue women's historic role as civilizing, nurturing / nesting force (the basic hardwiring for the female species with some exceptions on personal preference etc..) and turned many into lab rats on the corporate mass media centered madhouse of dissension makes profits. That is, create and amplify conflict and controversy to keep a majority of people of both sexes dissatisfied / unfulfilled in the hopes of $elling them $omething to $omehow make their unfulfilled lives just a little more complete with ___________ (fill in the blank).

The irony is, this put women, in general, in a compressed 'wash cycle' like vortex between having the most important years for getting an education, building a career, and having children (the most oft reason for wanting husband in marriage) coincide with their most desirable mating and marrying years. Its inherently a conflict for 95-98% of women outside of celebrity elites (Jennifer Aniston, Jody Foster et al) who can easily afford the amount of additional care providers. Women who want to be married and have family need to decide early and the corporate driven cultural mindset is anathema to raising healthy children based on early childhood development needs.

Personally, I think a concerted effort to encourage an environment where the best and brightest women are enabled to pursue motherhood without shooting themselves in the foot would be good. Or provide better education into what the decisions to forego 'motherhood' for 'corporate-hood' entail. Don't know exactly what this would look like, but some variance of extended leave, stipends for working mother in two couple households. On the other hand, the US Government - through policy- has encouraged the most irresponsible to procreate freely (whelping for benefits by absentee parents) in the hopes of growing a government dependent voting bloc, all the while destroying the country in the process by creating a negatively leveraged societal model. That is not to say exceptional children can not come from single parent households, just that overwhelming research shows the benefits to children of two parent household (with the obvious exceptions).

This plays up to the growth in 'economic relationship based thinking' in the productive classes that encourages humans to have a 'cost benefit' social relationship outlook toward potential mates. This also portends poorly for women who want husbands, in finding suitable ones. Men who have long had the culturally accepted role as provider, now makes them less inclined to even desire marriage. The old adage "why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free" - comes readily to mind as one outcome from 'the sexual revolution' which has essentially devalued women. (A foray into the fashion and beauty forum here will provide 'ample' samples).

If men haven't been raised in an atmosphere that holds women up in value, (respect) with reasonable expectations, they likely succumb to the mass media programming, which promotes antagonism between the sexes. This causes some of the strange dichotomy of C-D threads that proliferate with Male whining ( I can't find a woman to even talk to me without showing disgust) and Women whining (you men are all alike, you only like centerfolds, etc). There should be a PSA commercial made for TV with these two groups and their 'lament' as a Greek Chorus that then says: "Put down your devices, pursue an interest, meet live real people in everyday life and get to know them on a human level. Not behind a digital façade and in 140 words or 3 minutes or less."

Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
It's not defensive but it literally the absence in common sense in this is astounding. I don't need or want your support. So please continue to tell someone they aren't as happy but then you support them.
Dude, I clearly said that I'm sure there are lots of happy single people. Studies give some guidelines and generalities, but do not apply to individuals.

Is there anything you won't argue or take offense to?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships