Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:33 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You are all correct. The problem is that since you made your choice to stay single then you will never have anything to compare it to. I was single and that was fun. I am married with kids and that is more than fun. Looking back I was not really happy being single. I was just having fun. I am not asking for approval. I am sharing my experience on the subject.
I'm not looking for anything to compare it to, I just know what is right for me and the type of life I want to lead. The life I want to lead does not have room to fit children and parenting in well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 PM

36 posts, read 48,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm not looking for anything to compare it to, I just know what is right for me and the type of life I want to lead. The life I want to lead does not have room to fit children and parenting in well.
All power to you. Pro Choice

Old 12-01-2013, 06:53 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
It is so frustrating that when someone, aged 22, says "I don't want children" and are told: "You don't know yourself yet." And then when someone aged 22 says "we're starting a family!" everyone goes "Congrats! You'll love it."

I've known since I was a young teen I didn't want kids. In the past ... oh, eighteen years, that hasn't changed.
Really? And you know this from experience?
Funny. I had a lot of judgemental glares (and I was 24) and with each subsequent pregnancy more often than not people felt I needed to be educated on birth control, or how much it will cost with another, or how we were stretching ourselves too thin, or assuming we were on gov't assistance and talking down to us like they "owned"us...even making comments about how we were crazy or clueless...etc. I STILL get comments just about every time we all go out. People ask really intrusive questions.

It goes both ways. A lot of people love to butt into the personal lives and decisions of others. However....if someone feels the need to announce their personal business, not sure why they'd be shocked that others will want to discuss it.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive55 View Post
Whats that line women always use..

o yea!

"It's my body," its a man's choice
Old enough to die at war, then I'm old enough to make this decission

So true though OP. I think we've gotten around so much to basing decisisons on what women , want and think but the reality its none of their business.

Personally ive never wanted kids. That hasnt changed at all .
I dont think you have to necessarily go to this extend to prevent getting pulled in to having a kid.

Like women say though,

its your body, your choice. So ill stand behind every feminist/woman on this. Pro choice Pro Choice Pro Choice Pro Choice Pro Choice Pro Choice!!
One thing though......this isn't a man vs woman thing.

Doctors refuse to sterilize young women too.

As you said, and as I said earlier......if you are allowed to make the decision to go to war at 18.....put your life on the line.....you should also be allowed to make the decision to get sterilized without doctor's forcing their opinion on you.

People make all kinds of major decisions that they regret later in life......no one is auditing those decisions......and the decision to get sterilized shouldn't be any different.

If you decide to get sterilized and regret it later......that's life and it's on you.....just like all of the other life decisions you make.

I think doctors should be required to sterilize anyone who is of legal age.

Perhaps require reading an information pamphlet, maybe a short waiting period.....then sign a document resolving the doctor of any responsibility.......then get it done no matter how the doctor personally feels about it.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Really? And you know this from experience?
Funny. I had a lot of judgemental glares (and I was 24) and with each subsequent pregnancy more often than not people felt I needed to be educated on birth control, or how much it will cost with another, or how we were stretching ourselves too thin, or assuming we were on gov't assistance and talking down to us like they "owned"us...even making comments about how we were crazy or clueless...etc. I STILL get comments just about every time we all go out. People ask really intrusive questions.

It goes both ways. A lot of people love to butt into the personal lives and decisions of others. However....if someone feels the need to announce their personal business, not sure why they'd be shocked that others will want to discuss it.
So, moral of story is: Don't say S*@& about your personal business, and go on about your day. I wholeheartedly subscribe to this line of thinking.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:29 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
So, moral of story is: Don't say S*@& about your personal business, and go on about your day. I wholeheartedly subscribe to this line of thinking.
Yup...pretty much!
If someone doesn't want their personal decisions picked apart, don't advertise them.
When people ask, respond with "that question is rather personal, don't you think?"
Usually that works for me and shuts them up, unless they are completely socially inept.
Then I just pretend I'm hard of hearing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships