Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:41 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
As long as they weren't romantic or an old boyfriend or FWB, then no big deal other wise I'd be pissed they were even on her freindlist to begin with.
I don't think people should be good friends with exes but I feel this is going a bit far.

One of my exes is a friend on FB. I don't care much for him, but I don't have a reason to unfriend him either. Does that mean I'm not trustworthy in my relationship?

Liking photos hardly means anything, unless the person is half-naked or something. I like stuff on FB for very few conscious reasons.

So yeah, if my bf got mad at me for liking someone's photo, I'd be pretty annoyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 PM

706 posts, read 1,205,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I would say, "Knock that crap off, or we're through."

Whoever would do such a thing is a total domineering control freak. People like that need to be put in their place firmly and immediately, or you will have a nightmare on your hands.
Agreed. Unfortunately it would end there and a huge fight begins.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,546 times
Quote:
Hey, that's your right.

I just think that unless you have some specific reason to suspect someone of cheating, trying to dictate who they can or can't have contact with makes you look jealous and insecure. Heck, if she still wanted that other man, she'd be with him, right? But she's not with him anymore, she's with you. Give yourself some credit.
It's not really her I would worry about, but I also know how sleazy men can be, cause I've been that way in the past. Catching up on old times a few times is one thing, but consistent contact between my SO's ex and her, I dunno, I'd prefer not to deal with the drama.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I don't think people should be good friends with exes but I feel this is going a bit far.

There is no one more important to be friends with!!!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:59 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Let's not pretend that a lot of cheating doesn't start on FB these days.

Anyways, I would try to soothe my bfs fears by explaining to him how I felt about him in relation to this other person.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Ah Facebook. Destroyer of relationships, and drama machine.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post

One of my exes is a friend on FB. I don't care much for him, but I don't have a reason to unfriend him either. Does that mean I'm not trustworthy in my relationship?

Liking photos hardly means anything, unless the person is half-naked or something. I like stuff on FB for very few conscious reasons.

So yeah, if my bf got mad at me for liking someone's photo, I'd be pretty annoyed.
To each his own and it's gone both ways here. Her lover boy pen pal in her teens crawls out of the woodwork and friends her on FB 17 years later, (he recently split with his wife). I didn't like it, she unfriended him. My ex live in g/f of 3 years loses her husband and 2 months into being a widow tries to friend me, I told my SO about it the day it happened and she was still irate.

I guess and old boyfriend who is now married is harmless enough, but in both circumstances it's like these people lose their mates and want to pick up where things left off years ago.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Exactly

Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
I would say, "Knock that crap off, or we're through."

Whoever would do such a thing is a total domineering control freak. People like that need to be put in their place firmly and immediately, or you will have a nightmare on your hands.
What? "Confronts you about it and is upset"? That's not even a specific action for crying out loud!

Is this proof we are too quick to throw the "controlling" label at anything that moves? I think so.

Anyway, let's see if we can approach this rationally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
Say you had a old friend on FB that you have known for years even before you met your SO, now he/she puts on a new profile pic and you hit the "Like" button. Your SO confronts you about it and is upset. What would you do?
This depends on many factors.

How often do you "Like" random photos, or photos in general on Facebook? If you do this often, the SO should consider that as reason to be less upset about this one in particular. And if you're generally happy with the relationship not counting this one predicament, you should tactfully bring this point up in your favor.

Also important of course is what sort of photo it is. Unless you do go around "Like"ing everything you see on Facebook (I know plenty of people who do this), it's probably going to be taken the wrong way when you "Like" a picture of a girl in a bikini or something out of the blue.

How is your SO "confronting" you? If they are respectful about it, you should be too. Ultimately, you should ask yourself what does his/her behavior suggest truthfully. How often do they get upset about somewhat trivial matters in the realm of jealousy, or just trivial matters in general?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Facebook has a really bad rep however Facebook hasn't done anything wrong it's the people on it! Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with it, if you're loyal, trustworthy and committed then really there's no problem. Facebook isn't any worse than sites like this.

I would say C-D is worse than Facebook by a mile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships