Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 AM

599 posts, read 953,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I never said people were not stupid. Goes back to why are some men more concerned with looks and disregard economic compatibility in a partner. Then pee and moan when their mate gets a divorce settlement?
The same reason as the women in the post above married half-employed construction workers, I guess. I know several women in bad marriages that came about for stupid reasons. Everything from religion, to color of hair, to size of shlong. The difference is that women can easily bail out of a bad marriage, where a man gets crucified. Why else to you think 70% of divorces are initiated by women?

Your assertion that "the majority of normal average people" blah blah, is pretty funny. There is no such thing "normal average" anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 02:22 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're way behind the times. Men DO get away with it! I know several men who are in construction and are employed only intermittently, except for a little side work as handymen/repairmen, and they're married to engineers, a banker, a high-earning real estate agent, and the like. These days, now that more women than men are getting college degrees and advanced degrees, and men are struggling with unemployment, the trend is for men to "marry up".

Sorry your bitter party/pity party didn't work out. Better luck next time.
Women will be ruling the world in no time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-04-2013, 02:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
I would never turn down a woman because she didn't make a certain amount of money and I've never met one man regardless of race or financial status who would either. Could you imagine this convo?

Guy #1 "Hey Jim I met this girl who is really cute we went on a couple dates and we click so much. Too bad I'm gonna have to break up with her"

Jim "Why?"

Guy #1" I found out she only makes 33,000 a year"

LMAO

Old 12-04-2013, 02:46 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Could you imagine this convo?

Guy #1 "Hey Jim I met this girl who is really cute we went on a couple dates and we click so much. Too bad I'm gonna have to break up with her"

Jim "Why?"

LMAO

Now reverse the genders. Gets a lot less funny then

Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I would never turn down a woman because she didn't make a certain amount of money and I've never met one man regardless of race or financial status who would either. Could you imagine this convo?

Jim "Why?"

LMAO
Then fast-forward to six months later when Guy #1 is complaining to Jim about how he has to pay for most of their dates and how they can't go on vacation together because she never has any money.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Then fast-forward to six months later when Guy #1 is complaining to Jim about how he has to pay for most of their dates and how they can't go on vacation together because she never has any money.
Well then they are not meant to be, either he is too cheap or she is too expensive.

I've brought my situation up time and time again. (and often got flamed)

When my girlfriend last worked she made $12/hr. She's 20 years old and I'm 25. I make in the mid six figures. When we started dating, I made around 70k/year. I switched fields somewhat and my income took off. She travels with me for work, which is why it's not always practical for her to work. If you at a location for 4 months it's not always feasible to start and quit, especially when we don't need the money. She has zero bills and zero debt. Which is a lot better than some college grads with 50k in student loans, a 30k car, and making 30k a year, etc.

Prior to dating her I semi-dated several girls with advanced degrees that made over 100k. I would bet in the last 7 years I have gone on dates with around 250-300 women. I think that's enough to say I've gone on dates and got to know nearly every kind of woman possible.

My girlfriend doesn't make much when she works, but she also requires very very little. We have been together over a year and a half, and I gave her a credit card to my account (in her name) since she does all the grocery shopping, runs errands, etc.

She is probably the most low maintenance girl I have ever met hands down in my life. She buys a lot of clothes at Charlotte Rousse or Wal-Mart for dirt cheap, yet she makes them look very hot. She can sew and make cool gifts. She can cook better than nearly any women I've met short of very very few (such as my mother) She pulls her own weight like no one would imagine.

I would not make sacrifices just for a woman with a higher income, especially since I make a lot..

You know what she loves?

Going to the gym with me and lifting harder than most dudes there, squatting well past her bodyweight with perfect form

Mountain biking

Cooking

The same good movies as I do, action movies, etc.

Playing video games (I'm not into them much but I think we're going to get a system for when we're bored, she really likes them)

Sex, and to note, she's gotten into it enough that it's been some of the hands down best sex I've ever had. She was shy when we met but is very adventurous.

That's so much better than dating a girl that constantly wants to shop or drag you to sh*t movies or craft shows. Won't work out with you, watch the same movies, or enjoy the same hobbies.

She's hands down the most "motherly" girl I've ever met, that doesn't have kids. Her family has a lot of young kids and they love her to death and she takes care of them great. I've never met a woman I've said to myself "wow, she will be a great mother." Not in this same way.

Virtually all of my family is successful and has degrees (I don't have a degree but I do well) and same with my friends. My closest friends are the same way, yet all of them love my girlfriend endlessly.

This is just how our relationship is now. My next project will be a year long and she will work, and when she works (as she has much of our relationship) we'll split dinners, dates, etc. But right now I could care less. When I quit doing contract work in around 5 years she will go back to school and do all that. However even if she didn't, there's no question in my mind I'd be with her.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:55 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug11768 View Post
I often hear men prefer to make more money then the women they are dating. But I also hear men complain that they have to pay for a woman or support her. I am very confused by these conflicting desires. Men want to be wealthier than women but resent having to pay for them??

What do you guys want?
It makes all kind of perfect sense to me.

You don't want someone who makes much more because then you feel like they have all the power.

You don't want someone who makes nothing because then you feel like you are supporting them while they sit around and eat Hot Pockets all day.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
The same reason as the women in the post above married half-employed construction workers, I guess. I know several women in bad marriages that came about for stupid reasons. Everything from religion, to color of hair, to size of shlong. The difference is that women can easily bail out of a bad marriage, where a man gets crucified. Why else to you think 70% of divorces are initiated by women?

Your assertion that "the majority of normal average people" blah blah, is pretty funny. There is no such thing "normal average" anymore.
But the woman in that scenario isn't peeing and moaning about having to pay for stuff.
Anyone can easily bail out of a marriage. Again, the situation where its the guy who has everything to lose financially because......he perused a mate based on looks instead of financial compatibility....and now is yelling foul because he has to divvy up marital assets.

Why do I think the majority of divorces are initiated by women? Because women are more "chit or get off the pot" and men will linger there indefinitely.

Women are more apt to take the initiative to legally end a marriage that has technically been over for a long time, women are more often the receivers of domestic abuse, women are less tolerant of infidelity. less likely to be alcoholics, gamblers and addicts and women are more apt to want a happy marriage with communication and emotional attachment. Men are more apt to be content in a marriage as long as he food, shelter and a little sex.

The person who actually files for the divorce is not always the person who initiated the divorce.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:46 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Women get taken to the cleaners, too. A divorce settlement is only as good as the lawyers hired to negotiate it. Get a better lawyer.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
I've never made a lot of money. It's never been a problem - not when I was dating and not since I've been married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships