Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times

Advertisements

I don't let my gf know how much I make, or anyone for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Just wondering... what is the point of broadcasting your salary or finances anyway? Sympathy? Bragging?

Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,363 times
I have probably known the salaries of about 6 people outside my family my entire life from them directly.

I have probably known unmeasurable numbers of stories of sex from other people.

Although finances and sex if private, friends will discuss sex.
However, typically, once a romantic interest begins, the previous sex life becomes 'private', and only if I really really press will I find out the salary of a romantic partner. Now that I think about it, the most recent woman I dated told me her salary without me asking. May have been first time ever.

I think people that discuss income do so to compare them self to other people. But I bet the less money someone makes, the less they advertise it. You don't hear ANYONE bragging bout the 30K salary their getting. But 120K ? People will disclose that. But then, once people start making serious coin, they stop bragging, cause then it becomes dangerous.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:24 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Another RPG thread to champion women's causes
WTF? How is talking about money a cause for women?

Your misogyny could just as well say the opposite -- people should talk about their finances, so no pitiable guy will be suckered by a golddigger with massive, secret credit card debt that he will have to pay for.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Among folks I know, talking about money is normal and relaxed conversation. I am the lone weirdo because I feel like it is so personal.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:30 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I've met lots of people who are willing to talk very openly about their sex lives, but are extremely guarded about financial matters. I mean, to the extent they refuse to even let their spouses know how much money they make. Anyone wonder why this might be true?
I don't really see that. Not in my own life, at least, as I generally don't discuss my sex life with anyone but my partner, and even then, only about the sex I have WITH my partner.

Discussing financial matters can make one a target for crime in a way that discussing sex can't. You can't exactly hack into someone's crotch like you can hack into their accounts.

However, I think people who will not tell their spouses how much they make are people destined for divorce. I can't see how anyone can build a life together without knowing that kind of thing about one another, especially if children are involved.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Discussing financial matters can make one a target for crime in a way that discussing sex can't. You can't exactly hack into someone's crotch like you can hack into their accounts.
Lol, I was just thinking earlier that people who were raised in the ghetto (like I was) would read the OP and say, "So?"

Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
In real life I'd say there's less than 10 people that know how much I make or how many people ive slept with. On the internet, I'll gladly discuss my income (especially in threads where people think non college grads don't make much)

My sex life is wide open for anyone that cares to discuss, just not the number of people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by houstan-dan; 12-04-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 01:48 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I've met lots of people who are willing to talk very openly about their sex lives, but are extremely guarded about financial matters. I mean, to the extent they refuse to even let their spouses know how much money they make. Anyone wonder why this might be true?
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Can I ask on what would you suggest that people should do, start talking more about their finances or talking less about their sex lives?

By the way - if you work in a bigger company, you can easily know rough or exact estimate of paychecks of people around you, especially if you go through rankings in that company. It is so because most bigger companies often resort to give the same paycheck to workers and they usually have "paycheck hierarchy" and many other (similar) things as well, which is a bad thing if you are pushing to establish yourself in general... but that's why bright teams of well-connected individuals can easily fight their share and push their way to become successful, because big companies can't effectively capitalize their enormous advantage due to somewhat "backwards" ways of reasoning WITHIN such companies.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:58 PM

102,206 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I've never talked about either to anyone outside of my spouse so I definitely do not understand the logic behind it.
Pretty much this. I think it depends on what kind of crowd you run with. I don't know anyone who's open with their sex lives or their finances, other than maybe to complain about the economic crisis affecting their investment portfolio, or to mention their rental property, or something. Only one female friend has ever said anything to me about her sex life, and it was pretty general.

Talking about personal finances has always been taboo in the US, at least, among the kind of people who had much to discuss. Sex has been taboo, too, but that's loosening up a little. Maybe that's why you're noticing a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships