Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a case officer?
Yes 34 50.75%
No 20 29.85%
Maybe 9 13.43%
I think I have! 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:41 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times

Advertisements

Dating a CIA agent would be about as much fun as reading the newspaper; but less informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Kinda reminds me of that one cheesy Hollywood wannabe semi-chick flick/action pack movie... with Jolie and Pitt? Two CIA agents? That dumb movie? Yes.

Would I date a CIA agent? Why not, but most likely not, because U.S. CIA commits some of the most heinous acts of humanity I can ever think of. If someone likes the idea of utilizing their powers and abilities to harm others, because they have a certain right or authority to do so, I would have a MAJOR problem.
You take those acts out of context. Yea, sure, you bet they do some dirty work! But news flash my friend who lives in a very sheltered reality, the world is an evil, nasty place. Full of varmint. And sometimes, to combat these things, you have to get down and dirty yourself. The CIA, while not perfect, is a big factor why you and yours get to sleep in peace at night and why you and yours can make critical comments like you just did.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Sure, but I probably wouldn't know.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:15 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
If you work for the CIA, or other special government ops, it's your life! You live, eat breath and sleep with it. It's turned on 24/7 and you never really escape it. It's a way of life and you don't get to just set it aside when you want.

For this reason, it would be very difficult to have a relationship with said person. Not to mention these agents live a lie. In a good way that is, but their job is to deceive, infiltrate, gather information at all costs, asses and make you believe whatever they need to make you believe. (within the confines of their work of course) but you know some of this will bleed over into their real life. It's human nature.
Except... that from what wiki says, a large portion of their life is spent scouting new agents-to-be among common citizens. As in, finding people who are inherently suited to the line of work, and prodding them (in subtle or not so subtle ways) toward the physical and mental development needed for the job. Usually, if the "dating" goes well, you end up either an agent or a good informant.

A very, very, small part of CIA is actually James Bond stuff. A good portion of it is boring (somewhat less so than normal) desk work, except for the field mission now and then. That's what it says anyway.

I ummm may have had such a relationship. I can't tell you much about it, but I have a link to it somewhere.

And yes, living a lie is part of the job. But if you're the type of person that is both secretive, and accepting of other people's secrets, the thing is actually alot more pleasant than you'd think. For one, until you are actually on honest terms of being both spies, she'll tell you what you wanna hear to get info. And by the point where you are both spies, you've probably cut through so much crap, that maniulative BS like "does my but look fat?" is out. Plus, part of the job is staying healthy, so no, no your butt never looks fat. Even if you currently have to look fat for the job.

Quote:
Right. If someone tells you they're with the CIA, it's a guarantee that they're not.
Yep. The clue that they might be, is if you ask them what the do for a living, and there's a pause followed by something like that they work in a flower shop or filing papers (the last one may be technically true). Or if their childhood/recent background doesn't add up logically.

I'd like to hear arleigh. He voted "I think I have" in this poll.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,946 times
Maybe. I don't believe I'd have a choice in the matter as I likely wouldn't even know he was an agent anyway. It's not as if they say "hey, I'm CIA, you wanna go out?"

Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Read in this article.

Valerie Plame calls CIA the 'world's largest dating agency' - Dave Ross Blog - MyNorthwest.com

Okay, so aside from all the Hollywood romanticizing, there are a couple of things about this that make it an inherently complicated deal:

• Lots of travel (can be good if you want to explore, but if you've got a home in the area, it's a mess)
  • Trust? What trust? (If you date him/her, you have to be okay with the other person keeping secrets)
  • Are they recruiting me? Spying on me? Marking me for assassination?
  • Change of cover (They could drop out of sight, be resumed dead, change their hair and appearance, and show up at your next job. Unless you know what to look for, you'd never know the difference)
  • Am I really dating him/her, or am I just another client?
  • Oh yea. They could also die. If you don't see them much, their voice on the phone might be recorded by a proxy.
It's never boring though. Anyway, thoughts? If given the chance, would you?

Or do you think you might've anyway (explain why)?
Based on this website

https://www.cia.gov/news-information...on-part-2.html

Fact or Fiction: You Will Never See Your Family and Friends Again

Fiction for the most part

Fact or Fiction: You May Have To Spy on Your Family

The United States is not a police state and the Agency not only does not support such action, it is forbidden for the Agency to target a U.S. citizen

The Agency values diversity in its officers and no matter your background, will never ask any officer to spy on their family, friends, or acquaintances.

My answer is a definite YES>

Those who are so secretive, and claim they keep a big giant secret are probably fake anyway. Just like somebody tells you " My job is top secret." Don't automatically assume they are navy seals. I don't buy it. Seals MOST LIKELY will always tell at least their family they are seals. Not much of a big secret. The active duty ones will probably not reveal what they are doing depends on the nature of the job, but most likely, their family at least know what they are (job title). Not like they are real life 007.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-05-2013 at 10:10 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
Quote:

Fact or Fiction: You Will Never See Your Family and Friends Again

Fiction for the most part

Fact or Fiction: You May Have To Spy on Your Family

The United States is not a police state and the Agency not only does not support such action, it is forbidden for the Agency to target a U.S. citizen

The Agency values diversity in its officers and no matter your background, will never ask any officer to spy on their family, friends, or acquaintances.
Yea, they are a foreign action bureau. Meaning, they can't openly take any action against pretty much anything but maybe domestic plants from foreign countries.

And yea, this girl if she is as I suspect, does her best to visit parents fairly often. What can be true, however, is that the training period is a bit extreme so you might be not seeing them for weeks (the full period is pretty close to six months), and have to explain "Sorry, work is really hectic, I'm getting double shifts/having to get up early and work late.","Sorry, the boss has me doing overtime almost every week now","Sorry I have a doctor's appointment" and so on. They probably let you do actual family outings though, ones that were planned for months.

...If it isn't a family business already. That was the assumption I got for this girl, since the phone seemed to get passed along a fair amount. And her mom introduced her to me. And her mom also put her on the prayer list when I assumed her dead (now I'm sorta Schrodinger's Cat because I haven't really seen her, as herself anyway, for weeks and weeks).

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 12-06-2013 at 06:50 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 06:42 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Read in this article.

Valerie Plame calls CIA the 'world's largest dating agency' - Dave Ross Blog - MyNorthwest.com

Okay, so aside from all the Hollywood romanticizing, there are a couple of things about this that make it an inherently complicated deal:

• Lots of travel (can be good if you want to explore, but if you've got a home in the area, it's a mess)
  • Trust? What trust? (If you date him/her, you have to be okay with the other person keeping secrets)
  • Are they recruiting me? Spying on me? Marking me for assassination?
  • Change of cover (They could drop out of sight, be resumed dead, change their hair and appearance, and show up at your next job. Unless you know what to look for, you'd never know the difference)
  • Am I really dating him/her, or am I just another client?
  • Oh yea. They could also die. If you don't see them much, their voice on the phone might be recorded by a proxy.
It's never boring though. Anyway, thoughts? If given the chance, would you?

Or do you think you might've anyway (explain why)?
I have dated an ex-CIA agent, so sure - I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Well I'm guessing that the vast majority of CIA agents are not in the field and are not handling super important top secret confidential information. In fact, for most of the tech analysts and paper pushers at the Pentagon, it's probably no different than any other white collar job. I'm also guessing most of them have families and relationships as well.
Most "paper pushers" have very high level security clearances (the names of which are classified) because the paper they push, the data they see, and the operations they are working on are highly classified. Yes, many do have families and lead normal lives, but they all know they can face prison terms if they reveal classified information to their spouses (or anyone else) and they get caught. But they live "normal" lives, nevertheless.

Things are a bit different for those in the clandestine services. But since divulging the name of their employer will end their assignment, job, career, or life, you will never know if they live next door to you. The same is true for subcontractors in operational postings.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:20 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Yea, they are a foreign action bureau. Meaning, they can't openly take any action against pretty much anything but maybe domestic plants from foreign countries.

And yea, this girl if she is as I suspect, does her best to visit parents fairly often. What can be true, however, is that the training period is a bit extreme so you might be not seeing them for weeks (the full period is pretty close to six months), and have to explain "Sorry, work is really hectic, I'm getting double shifts/having to get up early and work late.","Sorry, the boss has me doing overtime almost every week now","Sorry I have a doctor's appointment" and so on. They probably let you do actual family outings though, ones that were planned for months.

...If it isn't a family business already. That was the assumption I got for this girl, since the phone seemed to get passed along a fair amount. And her mom introduced her to me. And her mom also put her on the prayer list when I assumed her dead (now I'm sorta Schrodinger's Cat because I haven't really seen her, as herself anyway, for weeks and weeks).
Do you know she is a CIA agent for sure, or you suspect she is an agent. If she refuses to tell you where she works, 99.99% of the chance she is not a CIA agent. Working for FBI, CIA is NOT a big giant secret. What is so secretive about it.

According to the website that I provided earlier (and please do not listen to hear and says)

Fact or Fiction: You Cannot Tell Your Family What You Do
Grant: This is partly true. There are many parts about my job I cannot share. But this relates to national security and protecting sources and methods and not because I am being “secretive” with them. I have told some family members where I work, especially my wife.

Brian: You can't discuss every detail of what you do, but I've always been able to tell my family what general area I was working on and what I did each day.

Jaime: I've always been able to tell my family generally what issues and geographic areas I follow as part of my work.

Rosemary: This depends on the sensitivity of the job at the time. My family knows my job title, but not specific projects that I am working.

https://www.cia.gov/news-information...on-part-2.html

As you can tell, sharing info or not sharing info totally depend on the sensitivity and nature of their assignment. If somebody cannot even tell their family member they are working for CIA, they are not working for CIA LOL Can you tell family members you are working for the CIA? Absolutely. If somebody come up to me and say, "I cannot tell you where I work, it is top secret." I would say, "Yeah, whatever." If somebody come up to me and tell me they are working for CIA, I would want to see a valid work ID, problem solved.

By no means am I implying the girl that you are interested in is Not working for CIA, I am just saying that please don't dramatize their job nature, they can have normal dating and family life.

Best luck to you.

edit: pretending to be government agent or active duty military personnel is federal crime. Only an idiot would lie about that just to get a date. lol

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-06-2013 at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships