Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 PM

170 posts, read 373,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If I could choose one, it would be a pretty obvious one to choose.
Fortunately you don't have to choose between those two and only those two options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_everything View Post
I just recently realized and admitted that I'm an alcoholic. It runs in my family, unfortunately, and I got the curse. I have been sober for 3 days--3 of the most miserable, wretched, eternal days of my life.

I was caught fooling around with the babysitter last Friday after drinking a good amount of tequila and losing control of my judgement. I'm not making an excuse for my behavior, but I know that my judgement is often impaired when I drink. I have been known to conduct risky behavior--whether driving 90-100 on a highway after 7 drinks or allowing a 20 year old female to come on to and seduce me.

Some might say that I wanted her to seduce me, but I'll tell you that there is NO WAY I would have entertained the thought (much less the action) had I been sober.

My question goes out to anyone who has a problem with alcohol, has been the victim of cheating by an alcoholic spouse, or someone who has been the "other person" with someone who was drunk. What were/are your experiences in this type of situation?

Thanks.

PS -- I'm going to a meeting tonight and tomorrow evening (the only times I can go this week).
I call BS on the bolded.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:33 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,335 times
Dedicated to the OP.

Have a drink on me - AC/DC (Lyrics) - YouTube

Old 12-06-2013, 01:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I'm glad you are seeking help and haven't had a drink in 3 days.

Once you quit justifying, rationalizing and making excuses for your actions and blaming the alcohol and not yourself you might actually start the healing process and continue recovering.

Alcoholics are never "cured", they are still alcoholics they just don't drink any longer, I know this for a fact.
I started recovering when I was 15 years old and I am now 53 and still recovering moment after moment.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:42 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In vino veritas.

That's why I'm always skeptical of those people who avow, "Why I'd never cheat on my spouse." Sure you would if the right conditions came into play. I've never cheated, but I've also known when a situation was going to be trouble and avoided it. I mean, when having a few drinks with a colleague on a business trips and she suddenly mentions how attractive you are, it's really easy to let things slide out of control. But no matter what, that will still be your fault, not the booze's. Until you realize that you are fallible, you will set yourself up to do the same things over and over again.
Perhaps the most true and accurate post on cheating on this site to date. I think those that say 'never' are the ones that are at risk, as they never see it coming thus are not prepared to walk away.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:57 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_everything View Post
I just recently realized and admitted that I'm an alcoholic. It runs in my family, unfortunately, and I got the curse. I have been sober for 3 days--3 of the most miserable, wretched, eternal days of my life.

I was caught fooling around with the babysitter last Friday after drinking a good amount of tequila and losing control of my judgement. I'm not making an excuse for my behavior, but I know that my judgement is often impaired when I drink. I have been known to conduct risky behavior--whether driving 90-100 on a highway after 7 drinks or allowing a 20 year old female to come on to and seduce me.

Some might say that I wanted her to seduce me, but I'll tell you that there is NO WAY I would have entertained the thought (much less the action) had I been sober.

My question goes out to anyone who has a problem with alcohol, has been the victim of cheating by an alcoholic spouse, or someone who has been the "other person" with someone who was drunk. What were/are your experiences in this type of situation?

Thanks.

PS -- I'm going to a meeting tonight and tomorrow evening (the only times I can go this week).
Time is your enemy. Find some productive things to do to keep your mind occupied otherwise you will start drinking again. The old saying "idle time". That is why there rehabs because people can't handle the time by themselves. Stay off the booze and quit making excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships