Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 AM

379 posts, read 340,000 times

Advertisements

Where do I go to meet women who aren't concerned about this? I am unhappy doing what I'm doing, although it does pay the bills, and there's a decent chance I will be taking a low-paying job or going back to school to do something else. My last relationship just ended after a year and her concern about my career outlook was a big part of it. Not complaining, I have nothing bad to say about her, but right now I can't provide the stability she wants and deserves.

I'm not destitute, I still go out and do fun things, so that's not a problem, but I do need to find someone who's OK with the idea that I'm not exactly a great provider.

I'm pretty much wrecked right now from the breakup but looking ahead to the time when I'm less so. The ideas I've come up with so far are volunteering at an animal shelter and maybe signing up for some co-ed sports. Can't stomach online dating again, and I generally don't enjoy bars/clubs, but I know there are other possibilities out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 11:09 AM

308 posts, read 267,793 times
I don't think very many women would make a big deal out of a guy in his 30's making a career switch. On the other hand, if he's nonchalant about negative changes in employment (e.g. going from a well-paying job where he's unhappy to a job that most would consider as part-time), it may be taken as a sign that he may be nonchalant regarding other equally important life issues.

If you don't care about your career aspirations, a woman might think that you may have a similar outlook with respect to relationships and other important matters.

In a broad sense, you should certainly find someone who shares the same goals and values as you do. However, if you set the bar too low, you may find yourself disappointed either at the quantity or quality of the the people that meet your requirements.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:24 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,377,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1n View Post
I don't think very many women would make a big deal out of a guy in his 30's making a career switch. On the other hand, if he's nonchalant about negative changes in employment (e.g. going from a well-paying job where he's unhappy to a job that most would consider as part-time), it may be taken as a sign that he may be nonchalant regarding other equally important life issues.
Some would if there's a big change in earning potential, or the road to increased earnings is a long one. My husband had a difficult time when he returned to the dating scene due to his profession. He was part of a business that didn't do so well in the area he was living, and lived on savings for a while in the interim. He started looking for new work in his field, but yeah, a lot of women lost interest when they discovered this. Throw in the fact that he didn't own a car (rode his bike and used the light rail), it was a definite no. He jokes that the light in their eyes was immediately sucked out when they broached the topic of careers and all that jazz. None of this prevented him from supporting himself. He just doesn't have career aspirations they were looking for.

Quote:
If you don't care about your career aspirations, a woman might think that you may have a similar outlook with respect to relationships and other important matters.

In a broad sense, you should certainly find someone who shares the same goals and values as you do. However, if you set the bar too low, you may find yourself disappointed either at the quantity or quality of the the people that meet your requirements.
Pretty much. Maybe find people with similar interests, personalities and career goals/aspirations. My husband and I are very similar, especially when it comes to career or profession goals. (we aren't corporate types and work freelance and I plan to adjunct teach in a few years on top of freelance work) Our goals work for us and our plans, but our position on work/life balance and goals/interests are not looked at favorably by everyone (e.g., MIL still rants about how he shouldn't have dropped out of his engineering program because he'd be in a "better" place, or the place/life she envisioned).

Old 05-03-2016, 11:36 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,158,443 times
If you're wrecked from the breakup as you say, and in somewhat of a transition concerning career/school, it seems like dating should be low on your list of priorities. Why not take some time to get over your breakup and figure out your next step career-wise? I know you said you're "looking ahead" but you're probably not in the best frame of mind to do that now. Once you get settled in your next job, or school, then you can think about dating again. Now is an excellent time to focus on yourself.

For the future, there are plenty of women who would be happy with someone who is able to support himself. You don't need to be able to "provide" to please all women.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:04 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
If you're wrecked from the breakup as you say, and in somewhat of a transition concerning career/school, it seems like dating should be low on your list of priorities. Why not take some time to get over your breakup and figure out your next step career-wise? I know you said you're "looking ahead" but you're probably not in the best frame of mind to do that now. Once you get settled in your next job, or school, then you can think about dating again. Now is an excellent time to focus on yourself.

For the future, there are plenty of women who would be happy with someone who is able to support himself. You don't need to be able to "provide" to please all women.
This is sensible for the short-to-medium term, OP. What's the rush to jump back into a relationship? Take a break to lick your wounds and get back on your feet. Then, if you do go back to school for some career re-training, view it as a plus. You'll be in the perfect place to meet women doing the same. They'll be able to relate to where you're at in life. If you decide to do online dating, you can say in your profile you're in the middle of a career change, taking classes toward a degree or certificate, or whatever. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:08 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,455,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you decide to do online dating, you can say in your profile you're in the middle of a career change, taking classes toward a degree or certificate, or whatever. There's nothing wrong with that.
It's actually something I saw A LOT of when I was on OKC.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post

Very sensible advice- thank you!

Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is sensible for the short-to-medium term, OP. What's the rush to jump back into a relationship? Take a break to lick your wounds and get back on your feet. Then, if you do go back to school for some career re-training, view it as a plus. You'll be in the perfect place to meet women doing the same. They'll be able to relate to where you're at in life. If you decide to do online dating, you can say in your profile you're in the middle of a career change, taking classes toward a degree or certificate, or whatever. There's nothing wrong with that.
That would definitely be a way to go for OLD. In fact it might be one of the better avenues given that you can explain up front what the situation is and people will presumably have read that and know the situation going in. Now if only I hadn't sworn off OLD...

Old 05-03-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
It's actually something I saw A LOT of when I was on OKC.
I have a couple of friends on OKC who have put this in their profiles. No success, but that could be more a function of the numbers game than anything. Of course, one could always build an elaborate web of lies as a friend of mine has done- it always comes unraveled within 3 dates at the most when women find out he's not living in a manner consistent with a "hedge fund executive" salary.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1n View Post

That's a really good point. I'm definitely very concerned about the future, not nonchalant, but my concern is much more in finding something I care about than in making a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships