Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 06:23 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,866 times

Advertisements

Have you seen his other posts?

And how is fishing for attention and compliments NOT a behavior of someone with low self-esteem? If you feel so sorry for yourself and have such low confidence that you have to come on the internet and ask a bunch of strangers to tell you you're beautiful, unique, worthy, and amazing...you have low self-esteem. If you think your entire life is pointless or that you can never be loved because this trait or that trait...you have low self-esteem.

Maybe you have a different understanding of that term than I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 06:51 PM

457 posts, read 604,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the trick is to only go for women who also have low self esteem
A question I've been wondering is would this relationship normally work out? Is it one of those things where because they both have similar issues, they would bond over it and a couple with self-esteem issues is a great match, or does it create double trouble that both members of the couple tire of?

Old 12-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Low self-esteem is obnoxious because it's generally indicative of someone who's incredibly self-centered and unreasonably self-conscious. I argue the exact opposite that you do: posters here with low self-esteem are the shallowest of them all because the only thing they focus on are their looks and status relative to peers and the media.

Sure, some people were bullied or whatever, and that led to their low self-esteem. That's legit, and I genuinely feel sorry for people like that. But the majority of the people here, whose insecurities manifest as "am I ugly?" or "men/women think I'm repulsive!" threads, just need to get over themselves.
I don't think they are necessarily more self-centered, but one thing they probably have in common is they are overanalyzers. They are blessed or cursed with a mind that thinks and weighs decisions and situations all the time.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:59 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngroh View Post
A question I've been wondering is would this relationship normally work out? Is it one of those things where because they both have similar issues, they would bond over it and a couple with self-esteem issues is a great match, or does it create double trouble that both members of the couple tire of?
It depends on the type, but IMO it is a positive.

That's what I am looking for. I want a woman who has been taken down a couple of notches, who has experienced some setbacks and has some humility. I want a woman who doesn't think she's beautiful, but does think she's cute every now and then, even if she really happens to be beautiful.

When you have the OPPOSITE, you have a woman who thinks she is above you, better than you, and will put you down.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
It depends on the type, but IMO it is a positive.

That's what I am looking for. I want a woman who has been taken down a couple of notches, who has experienced some setbacks and has some humility. I want a woman who doesn't think she's beautiful, but does think she's cute every now and then, even if she really happens to be beautiful.

When you have the OPPOSITE, you have a woman who thinks she is above you, better than you, and will put you down.
I agree, but haven't seen it in action, so I'm not sure how it works in practice. The way I see it, two people on the low end of the self-esteem scale would be ok propping each other up because they can relate to each other, and, since they have low self-esteem, they tend to see the positives in others and really appreciate it vs themselves. This is where it might work well, especially as friends. You can support each other, and then move on to more confident men or women once you've improved your own self-esteem from this experience.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
low self esteem is skunk juice to women. however lots of ability health and talent and a rational self opinion of those accomplishments overrides low self esteem. please see film---- water boy.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
low self esteem is skunk juice to women. however lots of ability health and talent and a rational self opinion of those accomplishments overrides low self esteem. please see film---- water boy.
Do you think this is as true for low self-esteem women as it is for confident women? I can see where many women who have low confidence levels themselves wouldn't mind or may not even notice low confidence in men.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Like a two for one sale......

Old 12-14-2013, 08:07 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngroh View Post
I agree, but haven't seen it in action, so I'm not sure how it works in practice. The way I see it, two people on the low end of the self-esteem scale would be ok propping each other up because they can relate to each other, and, since they have low self-esteem, they tend to see the positives in others and really appreciate it vs themselves. This is where it might work well, especially as friends. You can support each other, and then move on to more confident men or women once you've improved your own self-esteem from this experience.
I agree with everything except your last sentence.

I am in general looking for somebody with a 'lower' self esteem, though I have yet to meet too many women who fit this. But there have been a few.

Just from my experience, low self esteem in the way that you see it amongst men in this forum does not play a factor in relationships. Generally, male posters here tend to think they are unattractive and that is the reason why they cannot get women. When they are in a relationship, how is that going to come out or be negative? It's not like me and ex are walking down the street and I'm telling her how ugly I think I am.

However, inflated egos can come out very negatively.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:48 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transvagtastic VOYAGER View Post
Planting fresh cut flowers in your buttcrack does wonders for your self esteem.

T O P I X worst posters of city data!
Now see, that name just isn't as cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships