Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:44 AM

40 posts, read 104,640 times

Advertisements

I've been reading some threads here and it seems like most guys get their gf through school, work, friends, etc where they have something in common. For example, attend same classes, work at the same place.

But what if you cold approach them at the mall, grocery store, etc are they likely to reject you? I think the situation is different since they are out shopping and minding their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 04:41 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
For me it has nothing to do with me minding my own business, I don't like cold approaches because I don't know who the person it. I'll be friendly and such, but there really is no attraction or interest on my part (at first) because I have no idea if the person walking up to me is compatible. I always suggest to get acquainted with a woman first, if you can (mainly because that's how I get interested in a man).

Of course, that's not to say cold approach never works. I am just saying it never works with me. All women are different in their openness and their varying degrees of openness to that approach.

I wonder (and this is just speculation on my part) that the women more open to meeting men on a cold approach are more interested in looks. I am not saying I don't care about the appearance of a man, but it's a low priority for me--especially if every thing else lines up. But for some women, it might be higher priority and therefore are open to a cold approach because literally, the only thing they can tell about you is your looks. But then you have to have the type of look that woman finds attractive--so it's still not in your favor.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
It only works if you stop paying attention to PUA crap and act like a real person.

What would you do if a girl walked up to you and started talking to you?

Old 12-17-2013, 05:53 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Odds are against you in a public setting (exclude bars/clubs) for a cold approach. You dont know if that person is single, taken, or even interested, but its worth a try, IMO.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:23 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atben99 View Post
I've been reading some threads here and it seems like most guys get their gf through school, work, friends, etc where they have something in common. For example, attend same classes, work at the same place.

But what if you cold approach them at the mall, grocery store, etc are they likely to reject you? I think the situation is different since they are out shopping and minding their own business.
The only places you want cold approach women is where it is expected and considered appropriate--e.g. bars and nightclubs. Cold approaching women in places like grocery stores will almost always seem harassing or even slightly threatening to most women. It may work sometimes, for some men, but it isn't a good idea overall.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
I'm 40+. Rarely get hit on in public anymore by anyone I'm remotely interested in.

The THOUGHT of it is flattering and it could be really cool. I don't wear a ring and I'm generally friendly.

But the reality is trickier...doesn't take much to turn creepy.

I think the best approach is to just be friendly at first, not express intent to pick someone up. If you get a positive response, keep talking.

Under the right circumstances, I would agree to meet a stranger I chatted with in public--- in another public place for coffee, etc.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:12 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I have had a couple of very successful interactions with strangers who I felt that so-called spark with in public.

But it never was a case of him coming up to me while I was trying to find the perfect tomato at the grocery store. It usually took place as we both were experiencing something together.

For example, one time I was waiting in a very long line for some tickets. The guy in front of me looked cute, but we didn't really interact UNTIL...

this woman started freaking out about someone cutting in front of her, security came, etc. After it died down we all kind of laughed and went back to waiting. But the guy in front of me looked at me and said, "THAT was weird." We laughed, and then he asked me if I had seen this band before. (This was pre-internet, children.)

And we were off! He COULD have asked me for my number, and I would have given it.

Another very attractive man hit on me in the line at a funeral once. We even went to lunch after, but that's a story for another day.

Moral of my story? Find a long line, and go stand next to a cute girl.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atben99 View Post

uh, well..

you basically have to accept beforehand that you're going to get rejected quite a bit.

and you have to be socially aware enough not to go around offending people.

and you have to be good at starting a conversation out of the clear blue sky

but if none of that is an issue, i reckon there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I actually had a date from a cold approach once. I was making a salad at the salad bar at the supermarket, and this man who was also doing the same just asked me if he could take me to dinner instead, I said yes and we walked to a place a couple blocks away (note that I would NOT have gotten in a car with him). It turned out we weren't that compatible, but it was still a nice time. I wouldn't make cold approach an everyday plan, but if an opportunity arises, no harm in going for it. I admired him for having the guts to ask.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Why couldn't it work? There have been times I was out in public where I noticed a guy and we made eye contact and smiled...but nothing. Can people not read body language anymore? If she's got her nose in her phone or avoids making eye contact, don't approach her. If she smiles at you and seems warm and friendly, then sure approach her. Is it really that soul crushing to be told a stranger has a boyfriend or says no to a date? You don't even know her. Take a chance guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships