Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 PM

157 posts, read 253,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac2341 View Post
How does one cope with the fact that they are not successful at meeting the opposite sex and/or building solid relationships? I'm 35 years old and unmarried w/out children. I have always wanted to be a mom, but sadly, I've had to accept the fact that it will never happen for me.

I don't want to have an out of wedlock child, without being married and I just don't see myself getting married anytime soon, because at my age, it's difficult to meet the type of guy that would be well suited to be a husband and a father.

I hate bars and the idea of online dating, also I would never date anyone from my office. I'm just trying to cope with my reality. Any suggestions on how to cope with this sort of thing?

I am there with you I miss being in a relationship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I want something but am not willing to do whatever it takes.

*sigh*
Pretty much this. I'm 37, childless and unmarried, and having the time of my life. I date online and meet people all the time. And I don't even have any goals with regard to reproducing or getting hitched.

Of course you feel hopeless - you've shut off almost every possible avenue of success. Prince Charming is not going to fling himself across your windshield as you're driving to the mall. You've got to put yourself out there.

Life is messy. You're gonna have to get your hands dirty if you're gonna get to the good bits.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:34 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Do you have friends?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times
35 is still young these days.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I would like to add that my roommate had terrible luck with online dating for a long time and a string of pretty awful dates and relationships. But she stuck with it and stayed her same sweet, lovable oddball self, even if sometimes the lack of success got to her. A few months ago, out of the blue, a really cool guy contacted her and they started dating. In addition to being pretty damn brilliant and a total sweetheart, he's totally ripped, comes from a well-off family and has a successful career. He is absolutely smitten with her, and she with him. Even if it doesn't go any further than this, she's finally got the grand romance she's been missing out on.

You can't tell me persistence and patience aren't worth it.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
How am I supposed to find you? Put yourself in my way, in my vicinity, and then we can meet.

Sincerely,

Whatever kind of guy you want to meet

Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times
Quote:
How does one cope with the fact that they are not successful at meeting the opposite sex and/or building solid relationships? I'm 35 years old and unmarried w/out children. I have always wanted to be a mom, but sadly, I've had to accept the fact that it will never happen for me.

I don't want to have an out of wedlock child, without being married and I just don't see myself getting married anytime soon, because at my age, it's difficult to meet the type of guy that would be well suited to be a husband and a father.

I hate bars and the idea of online dating, also I would never date anyone from my office. I'm just trying to cope with my reality. Any suggestions on how to cope with this sort of thing?
I think despite what people are saying, it's totally normal to feel that way at your age.

There comes a point where most of your friends are married and are starting to have kids. Or have slowed down. It comes earlier for some, later for others. But it hits you because it's a crossroads.

I, myself, did not particularly expect to have kids or be married at your age, but I still find myself kind of at the same crossroads at life.

Kind of like, "OK, I lived my 20s and early 30s. I had fun and went to bars and did fun things. Now what? Do I want a family? Or do I just want to find new people to do the same things with?"

You have a clearer plan because you clearly want a family. So, I would go for it. If you are a woman of any decent level of attractiveness, it will be very easy for you to meet men. Start there and take it from there.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
We've come a long way, but I think a lot of people still feel that the way a woman achieves her ultimate happiness in her life is through marriage and children. There are a ton of other ways to be happy and have a fulfilling life even if you are single. Even if you never have children. What about your career? Hobbies? Travel? Family and friends? Pets? 35 is still young. You have plenty of time to meet someone and there's always adoption. Feeling desperate and frantic about it will only make you feel worse and it will come across to guys that you meet and turn them off even if they too want marriage and kids. No one likes a desperate person.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
I'd say give OLD a good college try. I've had good "success" with meeting some great and interesting people that way. I've had a couple relationships that formed from OLD (OKC), and I've briefly dated some others. Either way, I enjoy making connections, though I do desire something meaningful and lasting.

I strongly discourage you from being closed off to the variety of options you have to connect with people.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:37 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:

If I met you...

I really don't know what to say. I feel for you.

I would probably say find something other than men that you feel passionate about.

(To be honest, I thought this was a guy due to the nature of the Title. Then I read the post. )

Try to find away to enjoy yourself without a man in your life.

I almost did that. But before I can get anywhere... I meet someone.

You just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships