Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:48 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

I have noticed it also. I look at the thread, run my mouse over it to read the first sentence or so and think to myself, "No thanks," and move along....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 08:55 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a very distinct difference in the titles and subject matter of the threads on C-D. I read the titles and don't want to read any further. They seem so Jerry Springer-ish.

I've been here long enough to know that there will be questionable threads, but lately there has been an over abundance of what seems to be silliness.

The moderators had to put a stop to shortness threads. What will be next because someone doesn't "get" what they are told?

First, you are who you are. Not everyone is going to find you attractive or even LIKE you.

Second, for the most part, your looks can't be changed a lot. Like what you have, because there is always someone who wishes they had what you have.

Third, sex is wonderful. BUT it is not the whole relationship. If sex is all you care about, then pay for a hooker and don't go around hurting people who don't deserve to be hurt. Oh . . . But a hooker won't do your laundry or make dinner or help with rent, right?
I donno, but this thread seems kind of silly to me.

Are you better than the people that have legitimate dating questions ?
Even if a thread is hypothetical situation, at least they put thought into a life situation and are asking guidance.

Some People seem to think this forum is full of weirdos and freaks. I think a lot of people would be shocked on how normal the people in this forum are IRL.

You do realize that Common sense isnt common, right ? And furthermore, your own IRL common sense is very likely to be totally different to anothers common sense ?

Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 AM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
When they split off the Non romantic relationship this forum lost a lot. You can only discuss Romantic issues a few hundred times before it get's a little crazy. Very limited content.
Oh, yeah, I think you're probably right.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:01 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
I don't think it's just the holiday season. It's been like this for months. It's like school let out early and all the kids are posting. This forum has gotten to be rather obnoxious.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:53 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post

Even if a thread is hypothetical situation, at least they put thought into a life situation and are asking guidance.

Some People seem to think this forum is full of weirdos and freaks. I think a lot of people would be shocked on how normal the people in this forum are IRL.

You do realize that Common sense isnt common, right ? And furthermore, your own IRL common sense is very likely to be totally different to anothers common sense ?
Now, now.

No need to be contentious with metamorphosis.

I think she was summing up the answers to the dumb threads that's all.

I totally agree about the 'hurting people' part.

Be honest and if you have no real future plans with them besides sex then leave them alone.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:28 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:

Yeah. THAT'S it . . . I'm better than everyone else. BAHA, HA, HA, HA

There isn't much thought put into a topic that has been asked and answered several times. What I'm saying is that it seems that the topics aren't written for information, but to stir the pot. Or there may be some ego thing attached to how many replies a person can get. I dunno. It has just been different lately.

Never once did I say - or even think - about who is weird, who isn't, etc. I might read something and shake my head or roll my eyes, but then I move on.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:13 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Never once did I say - or even think - about who is weird, who isn't, etc.
I do. ALL the time.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:18 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
When they split off the Non romantic relationship this forum lost a lot. You can only discuss Romantic issues a few hundred times before it get's a little crazy. Very limited content.
I completely agree with you. That move ruined this sub forum.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a very distinct difference in the titles and subject matter of the threads on C-D. I read the titles and don't want to read any further. They seem so Jerry Springer-ish.

I've been here long enough to know that there will be questionable threads, but lately there has been an over abundance of what seems to be silliness.

The moderators had to put a stop to shortness threads. What will be next because someone doesn't "get" what they are told?

First, you are who you are. Not everyone is going to find you attractive or even LIKE you.

Second, for the most part, your looks can't be changed a lot. Like what you have, because there is always someone who wishes they had what you have.

Third, sex is wonderful. BUT it is not the whole relationship. If sex is all you care about, then pay for a hooker and don't go around hurting people who don't deserve to be hurt. Oh . . . But a hooker won't do your laundry or make dinner or help with rent, right?
It has been this way for as long as I have been a member of City-Data (2007) and the main reason why I barely participate in this forum (and Politics, Religion, too).

Quote:

I would bet most of the posters on here are the same as they are in real life. In fact, probably more-so seeing as how it is a human tendency to become more honest when anonymous. So yes, I do think this forum is full of weirdos and freaks, but I would chose other words to describe them.

Some people have legitimate dating questions, sure, but some posters seem to be stuck on stupid no matter how much "real life" and awesome advice they get. They just continue on, and on, and on...but...And why would someone seek guidance over a hypothetical situation considering that the hypothesis comes after the observation and practically all "hypothetically speaking" type of questions are so far out there they are not realistic. Most are designed to test your moral strengths, anyways; far beyond the reach of a typical Relationship thread. You are thinking of general curiosity, not hypothetical scenarios.

I know people in real life who some on here would claim to be doggone ugly. Yet they have no problems with getting a date and/or laid. I also know people in real life who claim they are undatable, there are no "good" men/women left, the dating scene in their town stinks, etc. Oddly, these people do get approached...just not by that one exclusive person they fantasize about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I don't think it's just the holiday season. It's been like this for months. It's like school let out early and all the kids are posting. This forum has gotten to be rather obnoxious.
Naw. It's been like this for at least 6 years.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:10 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You are not crazy. There are a lot of "bottom of the barrel" threads lately.

There also are a couple of posters who repeatedly post every little thing that comes to them during their navel gazing, and use this forum like their own personal therapy session.
LOL! I know EXACTLY what (and who) you're talking about. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who's noticed.

I agree with an earlier post that the holiday season is when a lot of people who don't have close friends or family and/or people who struggle in their interpersonal endeavors feel the worst about themselves. As I've said in another thread, they're substituting forums for friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships