Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,623 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals:

I (27M) have known her (24F) for 2 years. Things got serious six months ago, but we were forced to do long distance for much of the time until now; I have relocated to her city in another country to be with her. We are both aware that the other has been in one serious (for me, 4.5 years) relationship and had a few but not many other partners besides, but have generally spared each other specific details of what's gone on in each other's bedrooms.

Toward the beginning of the two years that I've spent time with her, things were getting hot and heavy when she dutifully told me she had been casually seeing someone. Understandably, this is not a big deal for some people but for me it kind of kills the vibe; firstly, I have a somewhat narcissistic personality and don't care to share, and secondly, I value using considerable discretion in selecting sexual partners because the risk/reward of hooking up seems unfavorable.

Yesterday I was at a get-together for many of her friends, whom I was meeting for the first time. Conversation turned to a couple of funny sex-related mishap anecdotes when she made a comment that inspired one of her friends to reference such a story involving my partner. Eventually she said that the story wasn't that bad and permitted her friend to tell it in my company.

To my surprise, the story involved some of the not-quite-vanilla details of performing fellatio and having intercourse with a previous boyfriend. It is not as though I ever thought of myself as her first, or take issue with anything that may have occurred in her past. For me, the details of long since completed sexual relationships are taboo unless requested and I think it's just physically healthier to not share them. It was a bit of a shock that her friends thought it was reasonable to spew this info shortly after meeting me, and that she, who I thought knew me better, wouldn't mind them doing so.

How can I make her understand how this makes me feel without coming off as immature? Or am I just being too illogical and petty and need to work on my mental fortitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
Her age makes her think it's no big deal. Once she gets older she'll realize it's kind of an unwritten rule to not bring up or ask about sexual history. As for me, I don't really have an answer because I'd have a "WTF" face going on myself.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forhayley View Post
Hey guys and gals:

I (27M) have known her (24F) for 2 years. Things got serious six months ago, but we were forced to do long distance for much of the time until now; I have relocated to her city in another country to be with her. We are both aware that the other has been in one serious (for me, 4.5 years) relationship and had a few but not many other partners besides, but have generally spared each other specific details of what's gone on in each other's bedrooms.

Toward the beginning of the two years that I've spent time with her, things were getting hot and heavy when she dutifully told me she had been casually seeing someone. Understandably, this is not a big deal for some people but for me it kind of kills the vibe; firstly, I have a somewhat narcissistic personality and don't care to share, and secondly, I value using considerable discretion in selecting sexual partners because the risk/reward of hooking up seems unfavorable.

Yesterday I was at a get-together for many of her friends, whom I was meeting for the first time. Conversation turned to a couple of funny sex-related mishap anecdotes when she made a comment that inspired one of her friends to reference such a story involving my partner. Eventually she said that the story wasn't that bad and permitted her friend to tell it in my company.

To my surprise, the story involved some of the not-quite-vanilla details of performing fellatio and having intercourse with a previous boyfriend. It is not as though I ever thought of myself as her first, or take issue with anything that may have occurred in her past. For me, the details of long since completed sexual relationships are taboo unless requested and I think it's just physically healthier to not share them. It was a bit of a shock that her friends thought it was reasonable to spew this info shortly after meeting me, and that she, who I thought knew me better, wouldn't mind them doing so.

How can I make her understand how this makes me feel without coming off as immature? Or am I just being too illogical and petty and need to work on my mental fortitude?
You can't.

The best you can do is talk to her about your preference for discretion and how you would rather not have to hear details of her former sex life in mixed company.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
And you might want to add that you would not appreciate her sharing details of your sex life with her friends, which she apparently has a habit of doing,

To me that is the red flag--not what she has done but her disregard for other people's privacy.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:54 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,050 times
I'm with the OP. That would be very awkward/uncomfortable.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
And you might want to add that you would not appreciate her sharing details of your sex life with her friends, which she apparently has a habit of doing,

To me that is the red flag--not what she has done but her disregard for other people's privacy.
I thought EVERY girl did that with her friends? I've come to expect it.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:02 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Her age makes her think it's no big deal. Once she gets older she'll realize it's kind of an unwritten rule to not bring up or ask about sexual history. As for me, I don't really have an answer because I'd have a "WTF" face going on myself.
I know, right? I mean, WTF!?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Different people have different boundaries. For me, my private life is private, and I'd consider it a violation of my partner's privacy to be discussing our sex life casually with other people.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Hell no.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

^^^^ This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships