Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:15 AM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Anyone who'd spend $500+ on that is an idiot. Bottom line.
I agree.

This conversation came up in the fashion forum and people were talking about dropping up to a 1000 bucks on designer handbags, I was completely floored.

I make decent cash but I just can't for the life of me get my mind around that. Some people just live in a different world I guess. I had a SIL that made probably a 1/3 of my salary and she went around with the latest this or that, couldn't imagine the debt she must have been in.

The fashion industry is ridiculous in that regard........

50 bucks for a wallet is getting up there, if you can't find something that is functional and tasteful for that range and under, then you have some serious problems... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:18 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
It will be left in his jeans and run through the washing machine the 2nd week he owns it.

It's like buying a high dollar pair of sun glasses.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:30 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Sometimes people buy gifts because it makes THEM feel good. If its nice, you should accept it and be gracious. Itsnot that hard to appreciate. Why make a fuss?

Old 12-22-2013, 11:56 AM

470 posts, read 1,162,586 times
hmm yeah id say it's too much..damn I just googled the price of those things..
I've been dating a chick for about 4 months..I just got her some bath and body works stuff for around 50 bucks.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:20 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree.

This conversation came up in the fashion forum and people were talking about dropping up to a 1000 bucks on designer handbags, I was completely floored.

I make decent cash but I just can't for the life of me get my mind around that. Some people just live in a different world I guess. I had a SIL that made probably a 1/3 of my salary and she went around with the latest this or that, couldn't imagine the debt she must have been in.

The fashion industry is ridiculous in that regard........

50 bucks for a wallet is getting up there, if you can't find something that is functional and tasteful for that range and under, then you have some serious problems... LOL
Hey now. I just spent $85 on a wallet for one of my fella's Christmas gifts. He didn't want me to...but I showed him the high-end wallets, and told him to forget about price...and just look for what he liked. (His wallet is beyond worn out - I mean, it's embarrassingly worn - seriously! ) He found a Boconi that he liked, and I bought it. He thought it was absurd to spend that much...but I have a Bosca wallet that I have had for 20 years (it was $75 way back then!)...and it is STILL in great shape. So I told him we would look everywhere else too, and if he found one he liked better, no matter the cost, I would buy it and take this one back. You know what? He turned up his nose at all of them.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hey now. I just spent $85 on a wallet for one of my fella's Christmas gifts. He didn't want me to...but I showed him the high-end wallets, and told him to forget about price...and just look for what he liked. (His wallet is beyond worn out - I mean, it's embarrassingly worn - seriously! ) He found a Boconi that he liked, and I bought it. He thought it was absurd to spend that much...but I have a Bosca wallet that I have had for 20 years (it was $75 way back then!)...and it is STILL in great shape. So I told him we would look everywhere else too, and if he found one he liked better, no matter the cost, I would buy it and take this one back. You know what? He turned up his nose at all of them.
LOL, I suppose I was being a bit "judgy" when I said someone would have "issues" if they couldn't get a wallet for 50 bucks.

I just meant that generically we spend too much money on things... but its not my money so I guess I should shut up.....

Old 12-22-2013, 07:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Not a tit-for-that person by any means but $500+ gifting would be totally outside my comfortable zone. Anyone who knows me would tell you that. I know for most, hell I'm a millennial, ALL of my friends $500 would be a major hit for them and I would not accept that gift at all.
Yes. To you and your contemporaries, that is a lot of money.
To some people, it is not. That is my point.

Ask yourself WHY you are not comfy with it.
Betcha bc you would feel like you owed them something.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, I suppose I was being a bit "judgy" when I said someone would have "issues" if they couldn't get a wallet for 50 bucks.

I just meant that generically we spend too much money on things... but its not my money so I guess I should shut up.....
I got your point. Yeah - we do spend too much...I agree. I just wanted to splurge a little on my guy as he never does that for himself.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I know people spend hundreds on shoes, bags, wallet, clothes, etc.
I don't get it, but I am sure they might not get the stuff I like.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Why? If they have the money and like it, no biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships