Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 05:33 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accencao View Post
er.. how is this defined exactly? wearing cool clothes? body language/eye contact? being resilient?
When someone says "No" to whatever you are selling or presenting, whether it be work or personal and you walk away without your feelings hurt or dwell on it and pick it apart as to what you did to cause it and proceed on to the next thing in your day with a positive attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 05:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
confidence is the bodies way of knowing its strengths, just as cowardice is the bodies way of recognizing its weakness

Old 12-25-2013, 08:26 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Getting rid of the toxic people around you.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 AM

112 posts, read 118,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Getting rid of the toxic people around you.
What if you ARE the toxic people around you?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:36 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,350,795 times
Knowing you could take her or leave her and not care either way and projecting that mindset (in terms of dating).

Old 12-27-2013, 03:26 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy1316 View Post
Knowing you could take her or leave her and not care either way and projecting that mindset (in terms of dating).
that isn't confidence, that is self preservation....at the cost of someone else's heart
confidence is NOT needing to date someone to feel good about yourself and has nothing to do with dating

Last edited by cremebrulee; 12-27-2013 at 03:40 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 03:32 AM

Confidence has nothing to do with dating....which I might add, very few young people know, much less own

Self-Confident

Doing what you believe to be right, even if others mock or criticize you for it.Governing your behavior based on what other people think. Being willing to take risks and go the extra mile to achieve better things.
Admitting your mistakes, and learning from them. Waiting for others to congratulate you on your accomplishments, not boasting about them. Accepting compliments graciously. “Thanks, I really worked hard on that prospectus. I’m pleased you recognize my efforts.”

Two main things contribute to self-confidence: self-efficacy and self-esteem.
We gain a sense of self-efficacy when we see ourselves (and others similar to ourselves) mastering skills and achieving goals that matter in those skill areas. This is the confidence that, if we learn and work hard in a particular area, we'll succeed; and it's this type of confidence that leads people to accept difficult challenges, and persist in the face of setbacks.

This overlaps with the idea of self-esteem, which is a more general sense that we can cope with what's going on in our lives, and that we have a right to be happy. Partly, this comes from a feeling that the people around us approve of us, which we may or may not be able to control. However, it also comes from the sense that we are behaving virtuously, that we're competent at what we do, and that we can compete successfully when we put our minds to it.

When you're "owning it," it means that you're totally and completely at peace with who you are in every moment, interaction and experience. You make no apologies for being awkward, nervous, excited, loud, soft spoken or other... you're just you.
You radiate charismatic energy whether or not you have an extroverted personality because you are genuinely content with yourself and your present experience.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:34 AM

308 posts, read 398,384 times
Quote:
if your trying to play alpha I will knock you down.
THAT is confidence.
I hate to say it, but that's being mean, not being confident. Plus, it may be an unrealistic approach to social settings if you want to keep your job

On the other hand, people who are completely at peace with themselves and their failings would mostly be described as lazy slobs who won't work to better themselves, at least that's the impression I get outside of this thread :P

I think grumptacular has the best (if somewhat verbose) definition so far...

Old 12-27-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
I hate to say it, but that's being mean, not being confident. Plus, it may be an unrealistic approach to social settings if you want to keep your job

On the other hand, people who are completely at peace with themselves and their failings would mostly be described as lazy slobs who won't work to better themselves, at least that's the impression I get outside of this thread :P

I think grumptacular has the best (if somewhat verbose) definition so far...
I agree, that is being a bully and has nothing to do with confidence...actually in a situation like that, it takes confidence, to simply walk away!

Old 12-27-2013, 12:38 PM

432 posts, read 491,686 times
Confidence is being prepared and/or knowledgeable in your ability to successfully execute a task. It's completely topical. I'm confident about being able to cook a killer jerk chicken, I'm not confident about flying an F-15. Also, you do not need to prove or conduct any task to be confident about it. It's an internalized feeling.

What this has to do with dating, I have no idea. People, and a good number of women specifically, espouse it constantly as one of the, if not THE, most attractive trait. See, I'd say I'm more well-rounded than most people, have a pretty broad spectrum of capabilities and a pretty solid knowledge base... which in turn makes me confident on a good number of fronts. It does not magnet chicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships