Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:25 AM

537 posts, read 1,242,844 times

Advertisements

I think the relationship, in the terms specified in the original post, is working. He knows she's hooked. She can't help herself. This could go on a lifetime. And it seems like he has experience with knowing just when and how to breakup, so she feels she needs to beg him to come back.

My recommendation: don't tell her what to do. I have tried helping a friend in the past get out of a relationship very similar to this, and the friend ended up hating me rather than the boyfriend. It was awful. Be there for her and let her understand the impact of her own decisions. If she doesn't, that's not on you to make her understand. If she does ask for advice, be honest but don't push her. It's awful seeing some people go through this, but that's a part of growing. If you keep on saving someone right at their moment of truth, then they're bound to go through the same thing over and over again. It seems like she's doing that well enough on her own though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 10:54 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
foclampt- Good links, I'll add a few-

https://www.psychopathfree.com/conte...t-Covert-Abuse

What does the sociopath fear? | Dating a Sociopath

Sociopath Signs: Is Your Ex A Sociopath Or A Narcissist?

Last edited by believe007; 12-26-2013 at 11:19 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 12:08 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Of course the "upside" to all this is that the guy sounds like such a loser, even though he keeps thinking he can do better, he can't so he keeps coming back.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,567 times
Relationship and functional are two different words. I have a relationship with the local tax assessor. It will continue to be antagonistic, and there's no getting away from it. A romantic endeavor should be without such conflict. But again, relationship and functional... and for them, it is working. What's it matter?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:04 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
and admitted he shouldn't have broke up with her, etc. But then one day they were talking about the future, and he admitted he didn't know if he could see a future with her. And then like a week later he said that he could. So she was assured. Then a few months later she found a text that he had sent to a woman claiming she had nice "boobs". He confronted her about looking in his phone then dumped her. ?
In my opinion, this kind of toxic relationship will never work out. Obviously, the girl loves the guy a little bit more. Relationship is not equal.

Your girlfriend should wake up and move on.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:16 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
LOL, it would be nice if you could give every sociopath you came across a 3rd eye, courtesy of a light and efficient .22.......

j/k....

sorta....

Old 12-27-2013, 10:11 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In my opinion, this kind of toxic relationship will never work out. Obviously, the girl loves the guy a little bit more. Relationship is not equal.

Your girlfriend should wake up and move on.
Sounds better than some of brutal divorces a lot of people go through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships