Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What age range do you belong to and are you in a relationship?
Late 20s and not in a relationship 14 34.15%
Early 30s and not in a relationship 4 9.76%
Mid 30s and not in a relationship 5 12.20%
Late 30s and not in a relationship 4 9.76%
Early 40s and not in a relationship 14 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 02:15 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Sex is a basic need, and women are as entitled to it as men. But being a "liberated" woman does NOT mean playing the man's game. It means respecting and valuing yourself enough to be true to what YOU want as a woman. So, I'm not sure why you feel that you have to "live with" or accept the prevailing dating/sexual culture. Why should you? What will happen if you don't?
What will happen? Well, I probably will go long periods in between dates and not have as much of a "selection" to choose from. Which is NOT A BAD THING. But sometimes even other women will encourage you to settle! I have one angry feminist friend who told me that I was "lucky" that my ex-S.O. gave me the time of day, even though this is a man with ultimately nothing to offer. Angry feminist friend claimed that men can get laid any time they want and don't want to get married, so I should be happy with whatever type of "arrangement" I can get.

It's so hard not to believe this at times, because she gave voice to the negative thoughts in my head. "What if this is all I ever get?" "What if the next one is just the same, and I have to make do jumping from one man to the next?" "What if there are so few men of character, I never meet even one?"

Yes, I realize that this is powerful thinking, that it's unhealthy thinking, and that I need to quit it. It's just so hard at this particular time, after such a brutal break-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 02:50 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
If you're waiting for everything to be perfect and fully in place until you decide to settle down....well...you'll be waiting a lifetime.

As for this tone from some of the women here about, "You don't have to answer to a man, stay single as long as you like" Good god. With that preset viewpoint, also plan on staying single. You don't have to answer to anyone. Find a life partner, a friend, a lover, someone who enhances you life. Not someone you ANSWER to.

I read these threads and think to myself, no wonder so many women these days bounce from man to man and never settle down. The outlook and expectations you put on yourselves and a potential mate are INSANE and will NEVER happen in the real world.

In life, if you wait on anything until everything is just perfect, you'll die while still waiting.
I think you are right in saying if you waiting for everything to be in order and fully in place then you will end up waiting a lifetime. And no, bouncing around from man to man isn't a good thing either. And I also agree with you on the relationship bit as well.

The only thing that sticks in my craw is this feeling that a young woman needs to get married our of peer and society pressure. Marriage isn't something to rush in to just because "everyone else" is doing it. And from the sounds of it, the Op is miles away from that considering she has only bounced around from man to man. Baby steps. If you are wanting more (love), first "worry" (if you are going to use that word) about having just a regular old long term, exclusive relationship with a man. Then go from there.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:39 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
What will happen? Well, I probably will go long periods in between dates and not have as much of a "selection" to choose from. Which is NOT A BAD THING. But sometimes even other women will encourage you to settle! I have one angry feminist friend who told me that I was "lucky" that my ex-S.O. gave me the time of day, even though this is a man with ultimately nothing to offer. Angry feminist friend claimed that men can get laid any time they want and don't want to get married, so I should be happy with whatever type of "arrangement" I can get.
Weird. She sounds more like Mid-western traditionalist, almost, than a feminist. She's urging you to sell yourself short and sell out.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Some women genuinely don't care I'm sure, but most are terrified of ending up cat ladies, whether they'll cop to it or not.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:48 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Some women genuinely don't care I'm sure, but most are terrified of ending up cat ladies, whether they'll cop to it or not.
My kitty cat is cute.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
That doesn't really sound like the feminist party line, but OK. Generally speaking she sounds pretty delusional about how it works though. A small percentage of the top/best men can get laid (almost) any time they want, and that's who she refers to or cares to comment on. The vast majority of "men" are basically invisible.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
My kitty cat is cute.
Nothing against cats - they're cute. Not a fan of litter boxes or hair on everything, but I digress.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Nothing against cats - they're cute. Not a fan of litter boxes or hair on everything, but I digress.
I don't like litter boxes either. I love dogs too. They are your best friend.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:12 PM

meh whatever

Old 12-28-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
meh whatever
Are you calling her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships