Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 01:57 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to post to state that it took me two days to figure out what "OLD" meant. I didn't open the thread, I just saw the title.

I kept asking the air, "What do they mean OLD people who look different in real life? What?!" It finally came to me. I feel so accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 04:30 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,892,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I just wanted to post to state that it took me two days to figure out what "OLD" meant. I didn't open the thread, I just saw the title.

I kept asking the air, "What do they mean OLD people who look different in real life? What?!" It finally came to me. I feel so accomplished.
Lol.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 PM

543 posts, read 534,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
If you lie or show off your body you might get more dates but if you don't lie, a bigger percentage of those dates will go well. I've never had a date pull a no show or abandon in the middle of it--because I'm honest. I don't get as many dates but I don't waste precious time either.
That's the thing. I can't even get a date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Many of the profiles I saw were of similar crap. Shots that stopped at their breast or someone who had 10 profile pictures, but they were all headshots. You can only use so many filters before it's like get over yourself. I'll take a plain picture that shows the true you, then a done up picture that seems forced. If you aren't into dresses and high heels, then don't post a picture of you wearing them and you're not at a wedding, formal event, or graduation.

To me it's not about gaining attention. I had a female friend who read my profile and said it wasn't special and sounded kind of boring. Quite honestly, I am a boring guy when I'm with myself. It doesn't take much for me to be pleased personally. When I'm in a relationship or around my friends, I'm a lot more outgoing. When I'm by myself, I'm content in sweatpants watching television, cooking, or gaming. Everytime, I write my profile when I'm alone. So it comes off just as that, "alone and bored." It just is what it is.

I'll just be waiting around for someone who can see past all the lights and sounds and read my profile for what it is. A stable person, who has hobbies, but isn't much into overselling themselves with their online profile. If I was in my early 20s, I'd jazz up my profile a lot more. Approaching 30, I don't care about impressing the masses, I care about impressing that woman who gets me and I get her. I'll leave the fluff for everyone else to sort through.
I have to really wonder what these women think they're going to find? A Michael Fassbender look alike who jet-sets around the world and raises orphaned chimpanzees out of the kindness of his heart on his spare time? I've said it before on here. Most people are boring as %&ck.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:02 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post

I have to really wonder what these women think they're going to find? A Michael Fassbender look alike who jet-sets around the world and raises orphaned chimpanzees out of the kindness of his heart on his spare time? I've said it before on here. Most people are boring as %&ck.
\

Do you want to be with "most" people? I don't. No one wants to be with a boring person. Don't you have any passions? That's all it takes. A passion or two... a desire to do something / make something, and then do it!

Old 12-31-2013, 07:03 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,247,151 times
after 3 months conversing with a sweet lady online-(around 30)
we finally set it up to meet,,we sounded like two 15 yr olds,,all nerved up....
so i show up at her place with a bouquet of flowers,,,only to be met by her husband with a shotgun pointing at me...
the guy holding it was her husband,,,he was sweating, his eyes were all red,,i thought i was a gonner....and no one knew where i was (out of state)

he starts screaming at me,,,, saying im screwing his wife,,, waving the shotgun barrel in my face...
he sneezed...i kicked him so he fell,,and i bolted out of there,,,got in my car and took off.....

from that point on,,,,,i always met in a public place... never at a house.

you've got to be very very careful meeting anyone

Old 12-31-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
\

Do you want to be with "most" people? I don't. No one wants to be with a boring person. Don't you have any passions? That's all it takes. A passion or two... a desire to do something / make something, and then do it!
Ugh. Here we go. I'm talking about how a lot of women seem to have these unmeetable expectations for men. I can guarantee you whatever "passions" people tend to have on OLD are pretty boring. And they certainly aren't unique. Tag football, knitting, photography, etc. These are all things people do, yet somehow it's not enough.

Last edited by flathead4; 12-31-2013 at 07:30 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 07:30 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,622,739 times
Quote:
That's the thing. I can't even get a date.
To simply get a date from online, you need to:
1. Have decent photos
2. Write a non-offensive self description
3. Be able to carry on a conversation
4. Make sure you aren't only attempting to communicate with those "out of your league"

Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times
Quote:
Ugh. Here we go. I'm talking about how a lot of women seem to have these unmeetable expectations for men. I can guarantee you whatever "passions" people tend to have on OLD are pretty boring. And they certainly aren't unique. Tag football, knitting, photography, etc. These are all things people do, yet somehow it's not enough.

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I produce music, been doing it 20 years... travel internationally to do nature photography, those are my main two. I don't seem to have any problems. Talking to people are about their interests when they're passionate about them is fun. And no, not everyone does photography, not really. Lots of people take pictures, which is different. I'm passionate about my work in environmental conservation.

Maybe you're just someone that finds most things boring. That's on you.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
To simply get a date from online, you need to:
1. Have decent photos
I have multiple photos, with at least two that are recent and multiple that are full body. Big problem is I'm typically alone while doing things. A tripod is bulky. So something of a dearth of photographs.

2. Write a non-offensive self description
Pretty sure it's non offensive. I try to avoid having anything negative in it. And I tend to be a grammer nazi. Grammatik macht frei!

3. Be able to carry on a conversation
I always try and ask something related to something in the profile. Conversation starters and all that. I refuse to shoot out form messages or resort to simplistic oafish behavior that seems to be common amongst my competition.

4. Make sure you aren't only attempting to communicate with those "out of your league"
I'm pretty sure I know who would be out of my league and realize I have a 0% chance there. I also refuse to message those I find unattractive. As the saying goes, that dog won't hunt. Hell, I messaged a woman last night who's pretty average in looks, is near my age (would much prefer that), educated, annnnnd ... nothing.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,622,739 times
Quote:
^I don't respond to men who write to me for the following reasons:
1. I don't find them attractive.
2. They live too far away.
3. Something in their profile is offensive to me.

Out of the men I do respond to, I don't end up meeting them because:
1. They were too stupid to carry on a conversation, e.g. they failed to ask questions in every message to keep things going. I'm not going to do all the work.
2. They kept sending messages but never suggested meeting up or exchanging numbers.
3. They said something that turned me off.
4. I was more interested in someone else I was communicating with.

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships