Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Rushing is not really knowing the person you are marrying.

The younger the age, the more likely that is. Younger adults tend to not even really know themselves either, as they are still developing their education, career, and self identities. Without knowing themselves, it can be very difficult to really analyze others and decide on who is a good match personality-wise, much less someone with the same life goals and ideals.

That doesn't mean it cannot happen, or that a younger couple cannot make things work either.

However, the statistics bear out that the younger a couple is when they get married, the far greater chance they have at divorce... and all these reasons are components to it.

Of course, it sounds like you and your husband took plenty of time, years, to develop yourselves and your relationship with each other too.
I agree with this. Personally, I think the early to mid 20s are all about discovering yourself and what you want and who you want to be. I bet in 10 years or less those that I know that married at these ages will probably be divorced. Not all but a few. Marriage is a huge step. I think some young people think they will be together forever so they jump into settling down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 11:04 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
Generally speaking, The only guys I see getting married in their early 20's are dudes who are not so attractive and generally undesirable. Many times it's the first or second girl who gave him any type of sexual attention and he's says "I gotta lock her down now because I don't know when the next(if it will ever) come".

You're never gonna see a guy who looks like bradley cooper get married as a Sophmore in college.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:33 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

You're never gonna see a guy who looks like bradley cooper get married as a Sophmore in college.
True. Unless he's a Mormon. Or he's in the South, and he got her pregnant.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I'm in my mid-twenties (a scary thought), and I cannot imagine getting married right now.
I thought I was a grown adult in my mid-20's, and even in my early 20's for that matter, but when I look back at any of the women I dated at that age, I can't imagine how miserable I would be if I had married any of them. I'm a completely different person now than I was then, with different life goals, values, and desires, and attracted to different things. I assume the same is true of them. I would recommend anyone wait until at least 30 to get married these days, unless you think your life path is unusually set at an early age.

Quote:
I am having way too much fun having little responsibility. I don't mean that in a negative way. I go to school, I travel weeks out of the year, I party with friends, etc. This is the part of my life where I am to enjoy freedom.
For what it's worth, I'm 40ish now and still feel the same way about my life. The difference for me, is that "the rest of my life" doesn't seem like such an impossibly long time now as it did when I was 20 or 25, and therefore the idea of being with one person for the rest of my life seems much more doable, and is something I will probably end up doing.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:27 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post

For what it's worth, I'm 40ish now and still feel the same way about my life. The difference for me, is that "the rest of my life" doesn't seem like such an impossibly long time now as it did when I was 20 or 25, and therefore the idea of being with one person for the rest of my life seems much more doable, and is something I will probably end up doing.
Definitely. Each person will settle down at a different time. 40ish is only 15 years down the road for me (scary thought).

Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Definitely. Each person will settle down at a different time. 40ish is only 15 years down the road for me (scary thought).
Trust me dude, you can have a LOT of fun in those 15 years. Enjoy it.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:44 PM

305 posts, read 376,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Generally speaking, The only guys I see getting married in their early 20's are dudes who are not so attractive and generally undesirable. Many times it's the first or second girl who gave him any type of sexual attention and he's says "I gotta lock her down now because I don't know when the next(if it will ever) come".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
True. Unless he's a Mormon. Or he's in the South, and he got her pregnant.
LOL I agree with both comments.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:17 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
My college sweetheart and I married in the late '80s. I was a junior, and he had recently graduated. We were somewhat unusual for the time, but several of our best friends also married that year. Going on 25 years now, we're all still together. None of us were religious, southern, or particularly homely. Nor were any of us pregnant. In fact, we all waited until our thirties to begin having children.

I think people should marry whenever they feel they're ready. By no means should young people feel pressured to marry early, but neither should they delay because they've been told they "need to find themselves first" if the right mate comes along in their early twenties.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-05-2014 at 06:12 AM..

Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Like the above poster, I married my college sweetheart a few weeks after we graduated from college. We wanted to be together and were willing to make compromises to do so. We attended grad school as a married couple, and tackled finding jobs, etc. as a couple. It was a bit unusual, but like the above poster several of our friends (college and high school) were married that same year. All of the people we know that were married that year are still together with the exception of one. The wife in that couple was killed by a drunk driver a few years later.

One can choose to look at us as co-dependent or one can look at us as wanting to be part of a team that was working towards a common goal. We were a couple making our way in the adult world together. Either way, it worked for us although it was far from easy. We are not from the south, uneducated, or unattractive, and I was not pregnant at the time.

Our oldest child is now that age and in a serious relationship. At times I wish she was not so serious, but I also realize that one cannot control when a future mate appears in life.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
One can choose to look at us as co-dependent or one can look at us as wanting to be part of a team that was working towards a common goal. We were a couple making our way in the adult world together. Either way, it worked for us although it was far from easy.
Exactly.

On another note, many divorced couples in my social circle were older when they married, most commonly thirty-something professionals who met at work.

This is all anecdotal, of course, but it does counter the oft-repeated sentiment expressed here at C-D that an early marriage is doomed to failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships