Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So which are you? Frustrated that you look like a kid, or upset that despite this, 25 years have passed?
25 years have not passed yet. Don't get me wrong I like to look young, but the problem lies in how other people treat me. I'm certainly not feeling frustrated or anything. It's more a case of wanting to do something with my life before I reach 25 as it is a milestone. 5 more years after that and I'll be 30 and most likely resurrecting this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Well 16 year olds are kids. I would consider someone calling me a kid as patronizing, why wouldn't you? It implies that you're still living at home and not taking any responsibilities. Lots of people my age have responsibilities and even young children while other people stay living at home until their 30s and beyond.

Well, honestly, to me - you are a kid! And it's not an insult. To my 80 year old neighbor, I'm a kid! Right now, you feel like you are 25 years old, an adult, and should be treated as such. Like I said - we've all been there. When you get a bit older - you realize that 25 really is very young, and you learn not to take yourself too seriously! I love it when my neighbors call me a kid! It makes me feel younger than my age - and I'm still young at heart anyway! I hope I never stop feeling like a kid inside! And being a kid doesn't imply what you think it implies - you are the one that is choosing to take it that way.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I turned 30 last week and honestly, I feel pretty much the same as I did being 29. I think it's all in how you look at it. I spent my 20's finishing college, got married and divorced, expanded my resume and job experience, moved away from home to a big city, and then moved back a few years later, dated a lot, went on some trips, and learned SO much from everything I just mentioned. I spent a lot of my 20's learning from my mistakes and sometimes making the same mistakes over and over until I finally learned. I started out my 20's being insecure and caring too much what other people thought. Now at 30, I feel so much wiser! Now I know what I want and what is important to me in life. I would not go back for anything.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, honestly, to me - you are a kid! And it's not an insult. To my 80 year old neighbor, I'm a kid! Right now, you feel like you are 25 years old, an adult, and should be treated as such. Like I said - we've all been there. When you get a bit older - you realize that 25 really is very young, and you learn not to take yourself too seriously! I love it when my neighbors call me a kid! It makes me feel younger than my age - and I'm still young at heart anyway! I hope I never stop feeling like a kid inside! And being a kid doesn't imply what you think it implies - you are the one that is choosing to take it that way.
I'm 23 lol....another 20 months to go before I turn 25. As with anything it depends on the context in which it is meant. If someone says I look young in a complimentary way then I take it as such. If someone treats me lesser because of it or not like an adult who can vote, have sex, smoke and all else then I find that more insulting, especially if I tell them my age. But I get it. You are sailing the older you get the less it becomes demeaning somehow? I'll let you know when I turn 30.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
I'm 23 lol....another 20 months to go before I turn 25. As with anything it depends on the context in which it is meant. If someone says I look young in a complimentary way then I take it as such. If someone treats me lesser because of it or not like an adult who can vote, have sex, smoke and all else then I find that more insulting, especially if I tell them my age. But I get it. You are sailing the older you get the less it becomes demeaning somehow? I'll let you know when I turn 30.
You pretty much get whatever respect you command once you're 21 or over.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I wish more people called me a kid these days too! At 36 some do, but not as many as there used to be!

Maturing into my 30's really has made me realize what the "wisdom" of old age really is.

Wisdom isn't the culmination of what you know, but reaching a point in your maturity as an adult to have learned enough to realize there is far, far, far more you have not learned yet (and a majority of it you never will)!

Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Or whatever respect you earn. Aging alone does not make one automatically worthy of respect.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Or whatever respect you earn. Aging alone does not make one automatically worthy of respect.
That was pretty much what I meant.

If you find people treating you like you don't want to be treated, yet you allow it, whose fault is it but your own?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,430 times
Quote:
Well 16 year olds are kids. I would consider someone calling me a kid as patronizing, why wouldn't you? It implies that you're still living at home and not taking any responsibilities. Lots of people my age have responsibilities and even young children while other people stay living at home until their 30s and beyond.
Honestly I'm 23 and still live at home. I am still in college and can't afford to move out right now.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:32 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm actually a bit more generous than you...expanding the range of "desirable men" out to the top 20% or so. You're admitting right here that only the top 10% of men are worth anything to the female half. Maybe you do get it!

If you want to really get down in the mud, here's the deal: Women are the selective sex but most don't really need men any longer for traditional provider roles. Or if the women can't provide for themselves there's always the government for the more desperate and pathetic ones. That means most men are almost totally useless from the female point of view. They exist to make your life comfortable basically...change your oil, pick up your garbage, that sort of stuff. Only a select few...the top 10%, 20%, whatever the grey area cutoff is between "desirable" and "not desirable", are worthy of sexual attention to women as a group. So it is in the animal kingdom. When it comes to being male, there are lot's of losers and few winners. Now that the fortunes of women have become decoupled from the fortunes of men, women are basically free to chase what appeals most to them, and there aren't enough of those guys to go around (rich, bad-boy, tall and handsome...whatever it means to the individual.)

These modern loathsome guys who you love to mock are basically just reacting to modern women's behavior and trying to get into the club of "desirable" guys so they can get laid. If women rewarded good but boring guys with stable but boring jobs, there wouldn't be much complaining on either sides of the aisle because there are plenty of those guys to go around. But they don't.

I hear what your saying, women can and do take care of themselves, many our the breadwinner of the family's these days, plus educated as well..So it's true a woman no longer has to put up with a man who might be abusive, lazy dead beat or unfaithful .... So it is true, when a women can take care of herself, she doesn't have put up bad behavior or stay in a bad situations any longer, like women years ago! ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships