Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM

14 posts, read 26,178 times

Advertisements

I'm so sick of these rules style self help books in regards to getting a man. Don't give him "the cookie" for 90 days, test him by pretending something is wrong and see if he rescues you, never ever contact him first and act like a total **tch. Men love this.

Give me a break. There is no single formula that works on every man, as all men are different, and there are no guarantees in any relationship whether you sleep with them in 7 days or 90. And what if you wait 90 days, build an emotional connection and then he sucks in the sack? Then you just wasted 90 days and how do you explain dumping him? I really like you, but you have the bedroom skills of an 18 year old virgin. That will go over real well. And yes, I have had this happen to me

Or what if the guy waits because he loves a challenge, but then you never hear from them after they sleep with you? And who needs 90 days to figure someone out? I know within a few dates if there is any future potential.

I find these tactics to be manipulative and feel that most women with a lick of common sense and people reading skills should be able to determine if a man is right for her without resorting to these tactics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 08:46 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
The only time I ever heard 90 days was in a book by a man.

He was also black, and I live somewhere with few black people, so I thought maybe it was a black thing.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
I blame those crazy ******* who wrote "The Rules" back when I was in high school. They started this trend. And I think both of their marriages tanked.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
I hate when people use stupid euphemisms for sex. SEX SEX SEX. "The Cookies"? Really?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaysss View Post
I'm so sick of these rules style self help books in regards to getting a man. Don't give him "the cookie" for 90 days, test him by pretending something is wrong and see if he rescues you, never ever contact him first and act like a total **tch. Men love this.

Give me a break. There is no single formula that works on every man, as all men are different, and there are no guarantees in any relationship whether you sleep with them in 7 days or 90. And what if you wait 90 days, build an emotional connection and then he sucks in the sack? Then you just wasted 90 days and how do you explain dumping him? I really like you, but you have the bedroom skills of an 18 year old virgin. That will go over real well. And yes, I have had this happen to me

Or what if the guy waits because he loves a challenge, but then you never hear from them after they sleep with you? And who needs 90 days to figure someone out? I know within a few dates if there is any future potential.

I find these tactics to be manipulative and feel that most women with a lick of common sense and people reading skills should be able to determine if a man is right for her without resorting to these tactics.
Perhaps many people lack common sense and people reading skills?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
At least one of the Rules authors got divorced. Another one that drives me nuts is "He's Just Not That Into You". That book doesn't take in consideration that maybe the guy is busy or shy or whatever. Besides was it written by an expert? nope a comedian with an alcohol addiction. The only one that has a lot of sense is "Why Men Like". That one has some great advice like the woman should have her own life besides dating.

Btw one of the biggest lies I saw in these books was play hard to get. Many men I have known got the idea the woman wasn't interested when she played hard to get.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
At least one of the Rules authors got divorced. Another one that drives me nuts is "He's Just Not That Into You". That book doesn't take in consideration that maybe the guy is busy or shy or whatever. Besides was it written by an expert? nope a comedian with an alcohol addiction. The only one that has a lot of sense is "Why Men Like". That one has some great advice like the woman should have her own life besides dating.

Btw one of the biggest lies I saw in these books was play hard to get. Many men I have known got the idea the woman wasn't interested when she played hard to get.
I like self-help books...but dating rules books are the worst! Stopped reading them a long time ago.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:34 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I like self-help books...but dating rules books are the worst! Stopped reading them a long time ago.
FTW!

I feel the same way, these dating books tend to be for people who are looking for some magic formula that will guarantee them success. But dating just isn't like that 98% of the time. It's mostly a trial and error process.

However, a person could increase their chances they do more introspection and get know themselves. By knowing themselves they will know exactly what they want.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:24 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
I agree, they're all pretty dumb.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:10 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
The best self help books I ever read weren't really self help books at all, they were a series of books written by Robert Fulgham who first wrote, "Everything I Needed To Know I Learned In Kindergarten." I think I've read 10 of his books.

They really shed light on reality in a well written and often humorous way teaching that a good sense of humor about things and all these different scenerios in life teach us something about ourselves and mankind in general without being preachy and rigid.

If you want to read a self help book read one of his books. His first one is good and I really liked "It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It." The title story of that book was funny and he wrote, "Out of the frying pan and into the fire. I knew it wasn't good for me - but I did it anyway. How many of us could say that about our own lives?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships