Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,043 times

Advertisements

I am 22, have never had a girlfriend or dated. I go to work and currently get paid minimum wage, and I go home and spend time with my family. I did poorly in school and eventually couldn't complete all my credits in high school, because I was homeschooled for a year and somehow the papers were lost.

I never was really great at face to face communication. I had stuttering problems at school, and I took a speech class in elementary school to help me enunciate more clearly. Despite me getting better, I still had severe anxiety problems when I did presentations.

I only had 3 real friends come into my life. I spent most of my days playing games, playing piano, and talking to people on the computer instead of interacting in the real world. I understand now, that I have made some really bad choices...

Since I don't hang out with people much, I don't know what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. My mom taught me manners, but I understand things change, and I don't know if the same rules and manners apply today when you go on a date as yesterday, when things were a lot different.

People in school always thought I was weird and my behavior was odd, and that I didn't talk to anybody. Whenever I tried to talk to people, they always told me to shut up and turn around. Whenever I read a book, they told me to stop reading. They told me that I would never get a girlfriend.

Luckily those days are over, and they didn't really prepare me for the real world. I finally came across the idea of multiple streams of income. So despite me working a minimum wage job, I'm trying to get an investment account set up so I can make money while I sleep. I hope eventually I will be able to move out of my parents house and start my own family.

Few people ever try to initiate a conversation with me. I am somehow perceived as boring and uninteresting. Never was funny, always interested in serious topics.

I was always passionate for hobbies. Was a musician involved with classical music. I turned vegan 2 years ago.

I can't even find anyone like me. I am so different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:10 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Well, you don't sound very boring. And you write better than many posters, so you're probably smart.

It's never too late to fill in the gaps in your social life and education. You are still very young and sound quite independent. Many people your age feel misunderstood, so it's not unusual. It's what makes you interesting.

What if you traveled someplace where there were more people like yourself? Think of cities where being vegan is more common, or communities with other formerly homeschooled people.

Don't give up yet. There's plenty you can do.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Go hang out at Whole Foods, there will be plenty of vegan chicks there, trust me I get hit on all the time there from employees and just randoms. I'm not vegan or anything, but plenty of younger people your age go there. Most Whole Foods will have activities, like open mic nights and random bands playing, or beer festivals, etc. If I were a vegan I'd go there for food and ladies...

Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Ok, I don't mean this in a horrible way or anything, but have you been evaluated? For stuff beyond the anxiety? Your email is well-written, but I feel like there are problems beyond what you are expressing in words.

I would say you need to join some groups. Go on meetup and see what's there. Get your GED if you haven't already. Get a dog if you can manage it and think you would be willing to put in the time for it to thrive - dogs are amazing ice breakers. Plus, they get you outside.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 PM

887 posts, read 1,100,019 times
Tough day huh? Feeling down sucks, and once you find you are down, it takes a lot of hard work to get back up. Go back to school and finish that up. 22 is still young! and I promise you already seem to be ahead of your peers in some ways. You stuttered, I would fist fight, bobby joe smoked crack, pam got pregnant at 14 years old. We all have things we have to work out. Hang in there, and be patient. Do you trust your family to talk honestly with you, and are you confident that they are looking out for your best interests? I hope that since you choose to be at home, it's good there. Talk to them first?

And don't worry about being different. There are a ton of us who are so different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships