Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Pa
42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Reputation: 25362

Advertisements

A new show on TLC is called 90 days fiancee. I'm wondering if you would ever do this? Some of the people travel across the world to meet each other then after 90 days marry. Many say it's not enough time to know each other. But say they talked on the phone, online, text and met a little. Perhaps then?
Then age can factor in it or an overly busy person?

What are your opinions of it?


I will say mine later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 PM
 
12,585 posts, read 16,946,475 times
Reputation: 15256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
A new show on TLC is called 90 days fiancee. I'm wondering if you would ever do this? Some of the people travel across the world to meet each other then after 90 days marry. Many say it's not enough time to know each other. But say they talked on the phone, online, text and met a little. Perhaps then?
Then age can factor in it or an overly busy person?

What are your opinions of it?


I will say mine later.
You'll be sorry if you do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Pa
42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Reputation: 25362
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
You'll be sorry if you do that.
Haha I'm not, but why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 PM
 
Location: The point of no return, er, NorCal
7,400 posts, read 6,367,166 times
Reputation: 9636
Good for them. I'm not privy to others' relationships, so I can not judge what is the right time to get married. Only the people involved know what's up.

I've known many couples that got married weeks or months after meeting. Many are still together 10+ years later. I also know couples who did the "traditional" (by modern standards) route of dating for 2+ years, engaged for 2+ years before marrying and their marriage ends. And everything in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 PM
 
6,732 posts, read 9,992,608 times
Reputation: 6849
My experience is that it takes a year of being in an emotionally intimate relationship before I have any idea who a person is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
678 posts, read 1,064,751 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
A new show on TLC is called 90 days fiancee. I'm wondering if you would ever do this? Some of the people travel across the world to meet each other then after 90 days marry. Many say it's not enough time to know each other. But say they talked on the phone, online, text and met a little. Perhaps then?
Then age can factor in it or an overly busy person?

What are your opinions of it?


I will say mine later.

This is kind of what my wife and I did, we physically saw each other for a total of about six weeks over the span of seven months, we lived half a world a way from one another and spoke on the phone everyday and exchanged e-mails. We had 90 days to get married as she had a fiancee visa...we've been together for almost eight years and married for six and a half, we also have a two year old. It worked out fine for us but isn't for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:55 PM
 
Location: The High Seas
7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
Reputation: 11867
I think it takes a couple of years to see how things shake out with all that can occur over the longer period of time. You need to see how they handle what life throws at them and how they treat you and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Pa
42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Reputation: 25362
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
This is kind of what my wife and I did, we physically saw each other for a total of about six weeks over the span of seven months, we lived half a world a way from one another and spoke on the phone everyday and exchanged e-mails. We had 90 days to get married as she had a fiancee visa...we've been together for almost eight years and married for six and a half, we also have a two year old. It worked out fine for us but isn't for everyone.
Wow I'm really glad it worked out for you.

I keep telling people you never know what life will throw at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Middle America
37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Reputation: 53073
We for sure knew by 90 days in that we wanted to get married. We didn't have any intention of actually GETTING married (or engaged, for that matter) 90 days in, but by that point, we definitely knew that that was exactly what was in our future. Granted, our relationship was not staged for a "reality" show, though.

We also lived 10 minutes apart, though, when we met, and spent most of our dating/pre-engagement life seeing one another daily or nearly daily.

I also previously lived with someone for five-plus years, in an earlier relationship, and in more than five years of living together, was never remotely as close to him as I was to my fiance, who I didn't live with, by just a few months in. Different personality types, different people. All relationships are different, and there is no rule of thumb when you're dealing with separate and distinct personalities and relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Pa
42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Reputation: 25362
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We for sure knew by 90 days in that we wanted to get married. We didn't have any intention of actually GETTING married (or engaged, for that matter) 90 days in, but by that point, we definitely knew that that was exactly what was in our future. Granted, our relationship was not staged for a "reality" show, though.

We also lived 10 minutes apart, though, when we met, and spent most of our dating/pre-engagement life seeing one another daily or nearly daily.
And what factors were they?
Besides living close and seeing each other a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top