Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: See the thread title.
Yes, always or generally 12 20.69%
Sometimes/It depends 26 44.83%
No, always or generally 20 34.48%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:42 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times

Advertisements

I could date a guy from a different religion as long as he's not a fundamental fanatic.

I think religion is interesting and I enjoy learning about others. If that came from a relationship, all the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
I'm nonreligious; I sort of segue between "agnostic" ("who cares?") and "atheist" ("what a load.") depending on a variety of factors.

Like, what the weather is like... how my stomach feels... whether or not I just read an obnoxious bumper sticker... stuff like that.

Because of this, I find that it's generally best for me to see someone who's somewhere between the "lapsed" (i.e. lapsed Catholic, lapsed Jewish, etc) or "nonbeliever" ends of the spectrum. I've dated women who are religious before and it just leads to disagreement and conflict.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,540 times
I'm an agnostic atheist childfree career woman. I grew up quasi-Catholic. I find it highly unlikely that I would find a compatible religious man.

Reasons why I would hesitate to date a religious man:

I really dislike how most religious men have a creepy obsession with virginity/"sexual purity".

I'm not willing to wait until marriage to have sex.

I'm not interested in having any children, at all. Most religious people want to "be fruitful and multiply". No babies will ever come out of my body.

I want an open minded, non-judgemental, passionate sexual man so we can safely explore our sexuality together. I use birth control. I'm planning on getting sterilised in the future. If I ever get pregnant, I will have an abortion no matter what. Any man who can't accept that has no place in my life.

I'm not interested in being a submissive housewife. I like working, it makes me feel valuable and productive and I feel safer being able to financially support myself. I think it's extremely unwise for a grown woman to be financially supported by her boyfriend/husband.

I'm not interested in converting and it makes me extremely angry when anyone tries to push their religion on me.

I can't respect anyone who blames all their problems on "demons" or "Satan" or credits all their achievements to God/Jesus. I can't respect anyone who doesn't believe in dinosaurs or evolution.

I'm not opposed to getting married one day, but if I do and it doesn't work out, I would want a divorce. I don't want to deal with a selfish man who refuses to let me leave him.

Non-religious people tend to be more open minded, liberal and tolerant.

I would never date a Christian, a Muslim or a religious Jew. I would date a Taoist, Buddhist or secular Jew though.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:13 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemosabe666 View Post
To me, Mormons are Christians culturally, but their religion is not Christianity. Mormons get dinged from the list.

I have nothing against other religions, I'm just a believer that you should have God in the home and that children should be raised in a Christian home. Much easier to do that when everybody is from the same religion.
You want your children to be raised in a Christain home, nothing wrong with that. But reading your that paragraph you make it seem like for instance a Jewish home doesn't have god in the home? Christianity is basically spinoff of Judaism.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,511 times
Would you be willing to date someone of a different religion than you are?

When I was a practicing Catholic my answer would be helll no. But since I've been a non practicing one for years, I really don't care like my husband changed his car's logo from saturn to satan. And he has an atheist image in his car, too.

I would have run away from him if I was not as open minded as I am now. Before I 'hang' out in this forum I was heavily debating all atheists in religion forum. They made me realize that atheists are not the evil murderer immorals i've assumed them to be.

Like my husband if he was evil I never would even come back to him. No one knows what happens really when we die I still don't get the atheist's POV on death as for me I believe in Catholic's POV of death and I will always be and will die a Catholic.

My husband sometimes annoys me though when he talks about God and Jesus one time I told him stop or I'm gonna punch you in the face and he ask me why and I said because you are being blasphemous then he S-T-F-U. LOL.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:39 AM

210 posts, read 238,913 times
I couldn't. Religion is important to me. My beliefs define a lot of who I am, so I would want someone who I share those beliefs with.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have more than once and married a few of them.

You make it sound like you have LOTS of experience (lol)

Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 AM

416 posts, read 871,547 times
I'm an Agnostic, former Christian.

I wouldn't have an issue dating, or marrying, someone who may have faith, but is not a Bible thumper. I would have issue if it was a Bible thumper type of person.

That being said, I'm currently seeing (I wouldn't call it dating, yet) a Jewish girl and she's very strong in the belief that each person has their right to make up their mind about religion. So we'll see how this goes - I like her position, though - we need more people like that.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:34 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I voted "sometimes/it depends."

In general I could date someone of a different religion. In practice, I have found that most people who place their faith somewhere other than where I place mine are easy and pleasant to get along with. Meanwhile, there are those where a differing faith is a huge sticking point.

So although I would be willing to in general, in practice it would be case specific.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
Sure, I wouldn't mind (I'm an atheist btw) and as long as he's not trying to convert me nor is close-minded then there should be any issue.

If he's a super religious fanatic than it's a deal-breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships