U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 AM

3,680 posts, read 6,129,202 times

Advertisements

You can still hook up at 50, it doesn't matter. If you can't find someone at a bar, club, or whatever just find some hooker.....just make sure to get tested after. Being a virgin at 26 isn't as a big of a deal as you think it is. I think a lot of that is pressure from other forces and media perceptions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 02:34 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,864,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoceansandclearskies View Post
No you're not "too old." Just don't tell girls that you're a virgin and go for it. I recommend finding drunk girls at bars lol.

I don't know. I'm a little bit older (like 20 years older), and I think that if you met a slightly older woman than you, told her you were painfully shy, a virgin, and really regret all the fun that you've missed, but you just don't know how to go about it now, that she'd likely ROCK YOUR WORLD.

2 things:
1. Be honest, and it will work out. Especially women who are just a little (or lot) older than you.
B. Find yourself a cougar. I wish I had, but now I'm at the age where I'm dating women that you would consider a cougar. Their inhibitions and their level of BS are on average much less. Go for it.

I'll probably get flamed by someone here. I'm actually a pretty nice guy, and painfully honest. Hope this feedback helps.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM

28 posts, read 27,373 times
26 is super young. You should definitely go out with friends and hook up with girls (if that's what you want). Alternatively, you can meet girls outside of party environments too: volunteer, join an organization, take a class at the gym.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 PM

10,937 posts, read 10,475,736 times
You're never to old to hook up.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:47 PM

408 posts, read 635,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This is another case of the much-vaunted (but generally true) 80/20 rule. 80% of the most visible sexual activity, of the sort that forms gossip and popular lore, is done by 20% of the public. So in terms of feeling of having “failed” to partake of a carefree and glamorous phase of one’s social life, the OP has nothing to regret. He belongs to a silent majority.

That notwithstanding, college is a formative time for casual interaction. I don’t mean relentlessly wild debauchery, but building casual acquaintances of either gender. How good was the OP’s social network of acquaintances? Was it sparse and strained, or were people available – just maybe not for sex? Does the OP have acquaintances who might help with changing the oil in his car, or with editing his resume, or provide tips on where to find discount theater tickets? These are just random things, having nothing to do with sex or romance. If such a network is missing, it’s going to be very difficult to find leads for eventual intimacy. If they are present, but the leap to intimacy has for some reason been strained, then that (in my estimation) is a much smaller problem.

What is the OP’s field? Some fields, and some workplaces, are very conservative. Mine is an example. Most of our new-hires are fresh college graduates, freckle-faced nerdy types, who within a year of employment marry, and in 2-3 years have their first child. By their early 30s they have kids starting elementary school. “Parties” consist of neighborhood gatherings on somebody’s backyard deck, with a beer-cooler and grill, with the adults sitting on plastic furniture while the kids frolic in an inflatable pool.

So the point is to start building a network of casual acquaintances in the OP’s new location. This is even more fundamental than being a successful bar-hopper or party-attendee.

That’s the optimistic point. But there is also a cautionary point, and this goes far beyond sex, romance, hooking-up or anything along amorous lines. As people age, and form families, they withdraw into their families. All social contact becomes defined along family lines. If the OP is a successful single guy living in suburbia, he might be viewed as less than fully respectable neighbor. He’ll have a tougher time borrowing a lawnmower or getting help to shovel his driveway – and might be viewed askance, if he offers to shovel the neighbors’ driveway. It will be harder to get invited to those backyard gatherings. This is the reality of a certain segment of American life.
Are you sure they'll look down upon him because of him being single or because they're afraid that he'll hook up with their hot suburban wife? I've a lot of suburban housewives like to have affairs.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:27 PM

4,190 posts, read 3,827,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
I kinda feel weird still being in the " I want to bang that hot girl" phase.
Some guys in your shoes just want to find someone nice to commit to but it sounds like you want to sow your wild oats. I suggest you get it out of your system before you sabotage any real relationship you get into. People may jeer but I suggest joining the PUA crowd for that purpose.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:50 AM

639 posts, read 621,862 times
Nope you are not too old.. this is the age to enjoy your life buddy..

Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 PM

6,737 posts, read 9,292,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
Of course I eventually want a relationship and indeed enjoy being with smart girls but I must say that I am quite envious of guys who went to parties and watched girls make out and kiss/have sex with them just because and I am kind of jealous that I missed out on it. I mean there are parties as an adult but not those kind.
Of course there are. The only difference is that adult sex parties usually do not allow alcohol.

Quote:
And as for serious relationships girls generally consider me to be their friend, rather than boyfriend material.
Most girls are attracted to less than 1% of guys. The key is to understand that every girl is attracted to different men. They all disagree on who the hot one is -- and this is good, because it just means that you have to find the one who thinks you are the hottest thing ever. The rest, you can be friends with.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:20 PM

37,371 posts, read 25,370,128 times
It has nothing to do with age. However, have you worked on the fears and anxieties that prevented you from being assertive enough to make a move toward women in college? I mean, IMO it's much easier to hook up when you're in college with a crowd of friends where everyone's drunk and horny and everyone is on the same "level" (students at the same college), so if you were afraid to try to seduce a woman then, what has changed in your confidence level from then until now that will make it different?

Old 05-11-2014, 02:09 PM

4,187 posts, read 4,829,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I don't know. I'm a little bit older (like 20 years older), and I think that if you met a slightly older woman than you, told her you were painfully shy, a virgin, and really regret all the fun that you've missed, but you just don't know how to go about it now, that she'd likely ROCK YOUR WORLD.

2 things:
1. Be honest, and it will work out. Especially women who are just a little (or lot) older than you.
B. Find yourself a cougar. I wish I had, but now I'm at the age where I'm dating women that you would consider a cougar. Their inhibitions and their level of BS are on average much less. Go for it.

I'll probably get flamed by someone here. I'm actually a pretty nice guy, and painfully honest. Hope this feedback helps.
My first time was with an older woman as well. Back then I couldn't imagine (and still can't) hooking up with someone of my own age; I'm glad it was with someone experienced and mature, relatively speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships