Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Actually using the term LTR is for me, strictly online-speak. In life, if it comes up, I tend to just note that, yes, I have a fiance (or boyfriend, before we were engaged). I don't necessarily say, "Oh, yes...I'm in a long-term relationship."

It's just online shorthand.
This. I never say "I'm in a LTR" outside the internet world. I just say I have a boyfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewindmill View Post
I don't know about this forum, but I'm talking real life conversations. It isn't a term used. I've not ever seen it written on other forums either. They say I have a BF, or a partner, or a wife/husband, etc.

It is a description, with dubious meaning since the only variable of any meaning is "long" and that is entirely subjective. Normal people in every day conversations would say "I've been with my BF for three years" as the insertion of LTR into the statement is superfluous.
Correct. As I stated in my post above, it is often used in this particular forum. I, myself, have never heard it used in real life either. I did try to clarify that I was speaking about the use of this in this forum, 'a romantic relationships forum,' but I may not have been clear on that. There is also a 'non-romantic relationships' sub-forum.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:15 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I do know it means Long Term Relationship, but what is your definition of a Long Term Relationship?

This was brought up in discussion in another thread which I do not wish to hijack.

Long Term Relationships to me have been widely known to mean a long term committed relationship by two people in a monogamous relationship.

Another poster declared that he recently lost a long time lover to a relationship because she wanted a monogamous relationship. He stated that this was considered by him to be an LTR. I think the definition that was given means LTR means Long Term Recreation in this case.

How do you see those two definitions and what is your definition and how do you take the term LTR?
LTR= at least 1 year, and potentially someone I could consider marriage but not quite at the stage.

LTR brought up in the beginning of an exclusive relationship? "Means, you're someone I see myself very compatible with and I enjoy spending my time with you, and commit to you 100% (emotionally, mentally, physically) all that!"

LTR brought up post break up? "I was in a serious relationship, and we didn't work out."

LTR during the relationship? "I really like my partner so back off" or "Thanks but no thanks"

And, like you mentioned with your friend, LTR for others could mean all sorts of things like open relationship and long-term. LTR just means people are committed, but their level of commitment varies. Some are serious. Some are not. Some like the convenience of sex. Some are looking for more. Or both parties are in-love.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:37 AM

Very well stated kat.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:41 AM

305 posts, read 376,140 times
Quote:
I do know it means Long Term Relationship, but what is your definition of a Long Term Relationship?

This was brought up in discussion in another thread which I do not wish to hijack.

Long Term Relationships to me have been widely known to mean a long term committed relationship by two people in a monogamous relationship.

Another poster declared that he recently lost a long time lover to a relationship because she wanted a monogamous relationship. He stated that this was considered by him to be an LTR. I think the definition that was given means LTR means Long Term Recreation in this case.

How do you see those two definitions and what is your definition and how do you take the term LTR?
People have different definitions of an LTR. Some are completely open. Some are "don't ask, don't tell" open. Some are open with permission only. Others are completely monogamous. It's important to find somebody who shares your definition of LTR. Then, go from there. In my view, a LTR is a committed and monogamous relationship. Write own rules regarding money, family, work, housing, vacations, holidays, etc..

Last edited by theGreat1; 01-12-2014 at 02:03 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
A long term relationship for me means at least a year or so.

Commitment and monogamy are separate variables from relationship length. (A short-term relationship might be monogamous, and a long-term one might not be.)

Old 01-12-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure that a non-monogamous situation classifies as a 'Relationship.'

Narrow-minded much?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
A long term relationship is a long term relationship. They can be monogamous, polyamorous, open, casual, whatever, they're just long term. A relationship is also obvious: a relationship can be a weekend, a month, a year, ten years or life. They're all relationships.

Simple English.
This.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post

Narrow-minded much?
No need to smack yourself silly their north. Everyone has their own view of what constitutes as a relationship and what kind. I am merely thinking out loud and I am reading the posts to gain a better understanding about the way people see things like LTR or S/O and a ''romantic" relationship. My post you quote was me trying to get objective answers, just mulling over all aspects.

This thread is not going to become your playground to attack others. Please refrain from attacking other's thoughts or posting. If you have something constructive to say then post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships