Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 05:10 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,371,426 times

Advertisements

This was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Not everyone is honest about their intentions, and not everyone is even honest to themselves about what they want. Some are confused and simply don't know.
That's the biggest danger of OLD. It makes genuine people instantly accessible to inaccessible people.

Believe me, after this last break-up, my ego shouted, "Go back online! Find someone else to date! There are other fish in the sea!" Because I'm astutely self-aware, I realized that this wasn't what I wanted nor needed. I remember the times when I went out with guys who were just totally confused, and although I know what it's like to hurt/be confused, I didn't appreciate their misuse of my time. That's what therapists are for.

A lot of people are not self-aware. They need the self-esteem boost, and OLD is the perfect vehicle. Quicker and cheaper than hanging out at a bar and spending money. Also, the other people on the other end of the wire can't read your body language, hear your tone of voice, see how you communicate in person, to make an informed decision.

I had a lengthy online engagement with a man who presented himself as being totally together. We met. He started crying right there in the restaurant because his fiancee had broken up with him. Two years before.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:12 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Because everyone should have a passion that is his or hers alone -- something that one doesn't share with one's spouse.

I have gone through extensive marriage/relationship counseling, and one of the bigger mistakes people make is choosing someone with their exact same interests. People change over the years and take on new hobbies and interests. Sure, you should have some things in common. Just not everything, and maybe not even most things.

A lot of people who do OLD fail miserably because they want a clone of themselves. This woman just got lucky. I don't think it had anything to do with "reverse engineering."
I don't see how excluding golf constitutes looking for someone with the "exact same interests".
I know LOTS of women that wouldn't want anything to do with a guy that considered himself a golf fanatic, and you can add me to that list. But I would have no problem being with someone that loved to play tennis, or mountain bike, surf, or build cars, for example. I do none of those things.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:19 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
That's the biggest danger of OLD. It makes genuine people instantly accessible to inaccessible people.

Believe me, after this last break-up, my ego shouted, "Go back online! Find someone else to date! There are other fish in the sea!" Because I'm astutely self-aware, I realized that this wasn't what I wanted nor needed. I remember the times when I went out with guys who were just totally confused, and although I know what it's like to hurt/be confused, I didn't appreciate their misuse of my time. That's what therapists are for.

A lot of people are not self-aware. They need the self-esteem boost, and OLD is the perfect vehicle. Quicker and cheaper than hanging out at a bar and spending money. Also, the other people on the other end of the wire can't read your body language, hear your tone of voice, see how you communicate in person, to make an informed decision.

I had a lengthy online engagement with a man who presented himself as being totally together. We met. He started crying right there in the restaurant because his fiancee had broken up with him. Two years before.
OLD does not make anyone "instantly accessible". You should use common sense, just like meeting any other person in real life. Any idiot can "present himself as being totally together", and scam you or any other girl, if the girl is not sensible and using her head. It happens ALL the time, no matter where you found the person...online, or on the street in real life.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
OLD does not make anyone "instantly accessible". You should use common sense, just like meeting any other person in real life. Any idiot can "present himself as being totally together", and scam you or any other girl, if the girl is not sensible and using her head. It happens ALL the time, no matter where you found the person...online, or on the street in real life.
Speaking of scamming, did anyone notice how easily she fell for her first OLD date's restaurant scam? He ordered enough food and wine for an army, then left? And she paid the bill, even though she hadn't ordered anything? That was weird. Legally, the restaurant couldn't force her to pay the bill.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
By Amy Webb. This is a great video. About six minutes in my jaw hit the floor. What an asshattery move. Wow.

A perfect example of over-thinking it.

[i hate the machine-like approach to relationships]

Old 01-12-2014, 04:15 PM

250 posts, read 399,938 times
That is quite possibly as repulsive a woman as I could imagine without being morbidly obese on top of a personality like that. But hey, she found a plug for that socket, good for her!

Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 PM

543 posts, read 534,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Because anyone who hates golf isn't credible of course. golf is god's gift to mankind
Golf is Scotland's drunken gift to mankind!

Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 PM

543 posts, read 534,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't understand the need for these people to go to a seminar to watch this lady.

How hard is it really to sign up, write a few sentences about yourself and send messages out to people who interest you.

Statistics, and everything like that does not mean anything. Really all it comes down to is finding someone who is interested in you.
Not too hard, but certainly disappointing when it doesn't work and you can't find anyone.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:50 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
I now pronounce you: Keyboard & Wife
You may now kiss the mouse.
That was classic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships