Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 PM

416 posts, read 870,950 times

Advertisements

To this day, I won't forget the girl I've been smitten for (alright, in love with, to be more accurate) since I was 14. Anyway, there were several contributing issues as to why it just didn't work out. And before you think it; no, I'm not some creeper that is obsessed with a girl for years on end. This girl just happened to always put me in an amazing mood, and I have tons a amazing memories with her. I'm not gonna break into her house and paid raid her or anything, lol.

Anyway, biggest issue was that she is 4ish years old than I (so when I first met her, she was already 18). She knew I was head over heels for her, and she and I got along amazingly well - staying up all night chatting, playing video games, going on long walks... There was a summer spent pretty much every single day hanging out.

I love every aspect of her, and she admitted she loved me as well (I was 15, and she was 19 by this time), but there was no way in heck her parents would ever accept her dating a boy that was underage (I can understand, it can be a major issue), but damn, how I wish I was just 3 years old, haha.

She eventually moved with her parents across the country (her dad is former military, now a contractor for the military), and while we still keep in touch and chat at least once a week, I doubt it'll ever materialize into anything, even with us now both being well into adulthood (I'm now 24, she's 28). Too many variables to even try and line up, but I'm still happy to have her as even a best friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 AM

678 posts, read 1,064,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalmale18 View Post
Many men fail trying to make their wives happy. Supplication to her every want and desire. Happy wife happy life right? Wrong. This is the path to the story quoted. Sorry for your loss, but some serious self reflection on WHY she lost attraction for you and looked for another man is needed.
I disagree that he was the problem in this situation. It was her lack of commitment to the relationship, we have a society that is so focused on individual happiness over collective responsibility that people are always looking for ways to make themselves happy over everything else. Many times people forget that they should be finding ways to find happiness in the life that they've built for themselves. Nobody forced her to get married but also no one forced her to cheat. She could have been an adult and just asked to get out of the marriage or could have stayed committed to the relationship. It sounds like he was actually the lucky one in all of this, if she's lying about abuse and cheating, she's not a quality person.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,101,206 times
If someone voluntarily leaves you or cheats on you then I don't see how they could possibly be the love of your life. The love of your life would NOT do that to you.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 AM

30,950 posts, read 22,022,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
If someone voluntarily leaves you or cheats on you then I don't see how they could possibly be the love of your life. The love of your life would NOT do that to you.
Strawberry, you would be going off of the Love conquers all Mantra. It does not. In my case her kids were stealing from me and her house was full of critters that she saved. She also couldn't help but to assist any person that needed help. I voluntarely left for my own sanity. I don't know how her current BF can handle it either?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,683,541 times
Interesting question LSJuan.

I don't have anyone in my past that I would consider "the love of my life." I've been able to easily walk away from every relationship and not look back.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:26 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,506,712 times
I had The One That Got Away in my teens and 20s. For a long time, I thought we were meaant to be together. The odd thing is that I spent high school chasing after her only to be given the "let's be friends" speech. Then I found someone I really liked and we became a couple. A week later, The One Who Got Away came over and admitted she had done me wrong and had finally decided she wanted to be with me.

I thought, "Wow, this is information I could have used several years ago." No, I did not break up with my then-girlfriend. But when that relationship ended, I came to believe that I had made the wrong decision.

Then I met the Woman Who Became My Wife and knew The One Who got Away was really just some girl I used to know. I am married to the Love of My Life.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I had The One That Got Away in my teens and 20s. For a long time, I thought we were meaant to be together. The odd thing is that I spent high school chasing after her only to be given the "let's be friends" speech. Then I found someone I really liked and we became a couple. A week later, The One Who Got Away came over and admitted she had done me wrong and had finally decided she wanted to be with me.

I thought, "Wow, this is information I could have used several years ago." No, I did not break up with my then-girlfriend. But when that relationship ended, I came to believe that I had made the wrong decision.

Then I met the Woman Who Became My Wife and knew The One Who got Away was really just some girl I used to know. I am married to the Love of My Life.
Way to go!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:30 PM

8,296 posts, read 13,425,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some people have been with themselves their entire life.
Sounds like they already found the love of their life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I almost wasn't with the love of my life. I was engaged when I met him and felt like I had to go through with the wedding. My father was dying and he was trying to hang on for the wedding. I felt like if I called off the wedding, it would take away his reason for trying to live. I also didn't want to hurt my fiance. In the end, I called off the wedding and married the love of my life. I've never regretted it for a second.
Was this a movie? Runaway Bride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I do not have one (yet). If I did I would be with him.
Maybe you already have but you don't know about it? He could be only a PM away?

I had couple of potentials but didn't work out, one definitely would qualify but she was into politics and now works for a governor in DC. I knew I wouldn't like or want to live there but the real problem why I left her was due to the fact she was trying to get pregnant behind my back and she was also into some stuff that would almost certainly guarantee either a birth defect or even a stillborn.

I just couldn't bare the thought of it. I still think about the good times we had and I still have feelings for her but who knows, I think we both eventually ended up better off after our break-up.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Interesting question LSJuan.

I don't have anyone in my past that I would consider "the love of my life." I've been able to easily walk away from every relationship and not look back.
Red, do you desire to have a "Love of your life"?

In my opinion, the chemical(s) that is going off when you feel this way about someone is probably the most addictive drug in the world. The flip side is the withdrawl syptoms are the worst.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:32 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,066,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
In my opinion, the chemical(s) that is going off when you feel this way about someone is probably the most addictive drug in the world. The flip side is the withdrawl syptoms are the worst.
So true. So very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships