Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCrab View Post
I don't think it's so black and white. For some women, money and stability are the most important traits. For others, it's not. I don't think it's necessarily true that women who value money the most are gold-diggers. It's pretty natural; just because guys value looks the most doesn't mean they're shallow.

Women who expect a guy to earn more than them are lazy pieces of crap. That's not looking for stability, that's looking for someone to take care of you because you're useless.

I think a woman who is making 150,000 a year should look to be with a guy who is making about the same. When there's a gap in earnings, it only creates problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 04:35 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCrab View Post
I don't think it's so black and white. For some women, money and stability are the most important traits. For others, it's not. I don't think it's necessarily true that women who value money the most are gold-diggers. It's pretty natural; just because guys value looks the most doesn't mean they're shallow.
What I've found is that most women I date have careers they are passionate about, they earn enough to support themselves, and they are looking for a man who has the same. I don't fault them at all for that. I look for the same in a woman. It's not about wanting someone to financially support you so much as wanting someone you don't have to financially support. I'm sure there are women who are looking for a man to completely support them (aka golddiggers), but they are few and far between, at least in my circles.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I disagree. Men don't talk about money much, and they probably don't care about it when their goal is just to have sex. But I think they definitely care about it when it comes to choosing life partners. You rarely see anyone, male or female, marry below their class.
Exactly. You also have to take into account of women who think they are girlfriends when they really are just side pieces or something good for now until something better comes along. It happens alot.

Thats why in alot of cases where men just straight up cheat on their "girlfriend" or continuously cheat on their girlfriend they do so because they don't view their girlfriend as a girlfriend.

Going by recent studies men do seem to care if women make good money nowadays.

I think alot of men are getting tired of picking up the dinner tab every date.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
I've only seen one guy get it right in all 14 pages.

Having a high income and relying on it to get women will get you attention, might even get you a beautiful wife who promises she loves you and not your wallet.

But I can guarantee you that that beautiful wife is going elsewhere for her fun, her passion, her attraction. Guess what guy she goes to? The sexy, carefree, charming, great in bed guy who isn't necessarily rolling in money. She gets her security and lifestyle from the chump and has another guy for everything else.

Which one would you rather be? The chump who pays for all the girls s*** and doesn't get much of anything great in return, or the guy who pays nothing (and likely is getting gifts bought with the chumps money) and gets all the fun?

Lets not ignore the fact that the carefree guy also has women around who would jump at the chance to be with him exclusively, so it's not like he's limited to non-exclusive relationships. They want to lock that tongue, johnson and charm of his DOWN.

Money ain't even close to everything. I wouldn't EVER put down that I make 150k on a dating website. That's just asking for the wrong kind of attention, and if you need that to make yourself look interesting then your really lacking, and the situation above will be your reality.
It seems to me if you make 150,000$ a year all you need to do is work on your appearance, hit the gym, and be good at sex and that would negate her from cheating.

As long as you upkeep yourself and satisfy your women in bed there's no way (even a stud could compete). Sure he may be a stud but you would be the jack of all trades.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
It seems to me if you make 150,000$ a year all you need to do is work on your appearance, hit the gym, and be good at sex and that would negate her from cheating.

As long as you upkeep yourself and satisfy your women in bed there's no way (even a stud could compete). Sure he may be a stud but you would be the jack of all trades.
It's not about being a stud muffin, there Veyron. I think you missed the point after all these posts in here.

You may also be seeing more women ISO of a man when you consider many of them don't have the time, due to their careers, to go to all these places whereas someone with a lower income is able to search in many public places.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
... a woman will know how much money that man makes by what lifestyle he has relative to where he lives.
By and large I agree. This speaks to the point that what's "attractive" isn't necessarily income or assets, but the lifestyle regarded as being commensurate with the income and lifestyle.

If Warren Buffet weren't famous, and were dating today, I doubt the he would be regarded as a prized catch in purely material terms. The man lives in a modest house (even by Omaha, Nebraska standards) and dresses like a typical middle-class professional.

It's also important to note the difference between dating for purposes of finding a spouse, with whom to have children, and dating for purposes of a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. In the former, there is legitimate premium placed on long-term earning potential, career stability, pensions and the like. The ideal husband would be capable of providing for the family, and this is an appealing trait, irrespective of the financial wherewithal of the wife. But if there is no interest in children or a conventional family, the attraction of financial stability becomes muted. So for a man who is looking for a girlfriend, as opposed to a wife, attributes such as proven status in the community, a rewarding and prestigious career and so forth, are at most peripheral accouterments.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,577 times
With all things being equal, MORE money is always better!

/thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think a woman who is making 150,000 a year should look to be with a guy who is making about the same. When there's a gap in earnings, it only creates problems.
The numbers don't work out that way.

Many times more men than women make around $150,000 a year.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:13 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The numbers don't work out that way.

Many times more men than women make around $150,000 a year.

I'm 26. Times are changing for our generation and by the time I'm old enough to be making 150k, there will probably be plenty of women making 150k also.

Regardless, it still doesn't change the fact that a woman's feeling of entitlement to a guy who makes way more than she does isn't ridiculous.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If you don't make 40,000 already, that means you qualify for financial aid and you can go to community college for free. Get a certification, anything.

Hell, you could make 40k a year if you made 10 bucks an hour with enough overtime.

I qualify for zip zilch nada squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships