Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 AM

79 posts, read 315,149 times

Advertisements

Do you think friendship after a serious, committed relationship can work? Why? Or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Im not sure about 'serious and committed' with an ex but both of mine and I are better now as friends than we were when we were married.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:57 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
You can be friends with an ex after two years or when you have found someone else and are in another committed relationship.

Trying to be friends right after a breakup is simply another way to stay in denial and delay the separation. It's also a way for a man to assure himself a continued source of sex -- heaven forbid that disappears! And for women, being friends after a breakup keeps her "bonded" to her ex. As long as she is still bonded, it's very difficult for her to open her heart and mind to someone else.

After a breakup, the best thing, for a woman especially, is just stop seeing the guy cold turkey. No phone calls or visits or anything like that. In the long run, it ends up being much less painful and speeds the healing process. Just tell him, "We can be friends once I marry someone else."

Greenie

Old 11-28-2007, 03:33 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I wouldn't want to be friends with an ex.
When it's over, it's over.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:37 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
songinthewind,

It's not healthy to have strong and fast rules that you apply to everything. Life is never that cut and dry. What if you and your ex had a child together? It's never over in that case.

And what about the history you shared together? I have an ex-boyfriend from college. We still exchange emails and last week he sent me a picture of his brand new baby girl. We are not close friends by any stretch, but he remembers some of the same old people that I do, and we can laugh about things that happened 25 years ago. I need my old friends because they hold parts of my history and help me remember who I was...

Greenie

Old 11-28-2007, 03:48 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I agree--unless you have a child with that person. Otherwise, I don't see how being friends with an ex can be anything but bad news. When you're in a committed relationship or married, how can you be friends with someone who you once had feelings for, and/or had sex with? I don't see how that's possible when you're in a new relationship. It doesn't seem fair to your partner.

Personally, I have never had any further contact with any exes, and I have no interest either. My husband feels the same way. I don't think it's healthy to have any sort of friendship with an ex, unless, of course, you've had kids together. There are plenty of other people out there to be friends with--people who won't cause any potential upsets in your current relationship.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:14 PM

13 posts, read 59,171 times
I think it depends on your personalities, and whether or not you two still have feelings for each other.

I have a close relationship with an ex, who was the ex. I was crazy about him, but that was years ago. I do go on group outings with another ex.

When I get over somebody, I am really over them. I am not attracted to them emotionally (as a boyfriend) or physically. So I have affection for him as a friend, but I couldn't care less who he dates.

If one person or both still have feelings for the other, then that's obviously not going to work. If both of you are over each other, and are not jealous seeing each other with somebody else, I don't see why not, but just because two people break up doesn't mean they should stay friends. I only talk to people who I feel I have a true friendship with.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:34 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Default Yes, Indeed

I can and have....

My son's father and I were very close growing up together, he was always there for me...we married when I was 17...he was 4 years older...I thought I loved him...and did, but as a brother, no more...after we divorced, we were good friends and had a really good working relationship which was so good and healthy for my son. He even came to dinner now and then, when I remarried...my husband really liked him. But then he married a very controlling woman, who was so needy, and demanding...my husband warned me and I didn't believe him...he said, we are going to loss so and so as a friend...and I said, why? And he said, b/c she is very jealous and I said, no, he won't...and he said, yup he will and there will be a lot of other problems as well...

and he was soooooo right...awful and very sad and yanno who suffered the most? My son...none of us, but him...very very sad...and I refused to play tug of war, so I gave up most of the time and just gave in...

It wasn't about me, but more importantly, about my son's welfare.

and I loved him, like a brother, and if he'd have married a secure woman, we all would have been friends. matter of fact, he was dating this marvelous friend, who I would have been proud to have as a step mother to my son...you see, the nice thing about it is...now, he had four people to help him develop instead of just two...which can be a very healthy situation if people would just stop trying to be so controlling and jealous.

Thanks
Creme

Old 11-28-2007, 05:36 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Yes it's possible, specially if during the relationship there was always respect, and a desire to keep improving things.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Not if someone was really hurt in the break-up (or if it was one-sided and/or extremely emotional). If there was just no chemistry so you moved on or something like that, then I don't really see why not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships