Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:51 AM

94 posts, read 324,527 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't care what kind of car it was as long as it wasn't constantly breaking down, because nothing screams sexy like the fear of a tire flying off or being stuck on the side of the road. I'd pick dependable any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:59 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,427 times
I'm a self-confessed car guy, drive and appreciate fine automobiles, but I don't think I'd want to be with someone who was so focused on what I drive that it's practically a litmus test for relationship compatibility.

My wife can't tell the difference between a Maserati Quatroporte and a Jaguar XJ, but that's ok. I love her anyways, and will one day convert her into a car nut or die trying!

--Dim

Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times
When I was young and dating, if the car was dirty/not maintained on the inside, it was an instant turnoff.

Otherwise, I wasn't selective about guys based on what they drove. I was in a long term relationship with a 6'5" guy who drove an old Fiero which I hated squeezing myself into, so I drove the majority of the time. I eventually ended the relationship (not because of his ride) and he tried to get me back by purchasing a Ford pick-up knowing I had a thing for trucks. Well, it didn't work, but at least he finally had more leg & head room in his vehicle.

I did fall in love with my husband's ride when we started dating...a customized 4-Runner. He eventually purchased a luxury vehicle and gave me the 4-Runner.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
For all the years I've known him, my SO has never owned a car (I haven't either), so......no, not an issue to me.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,799,884 times
This is like asking a man if he cares if you have Prada purse that you got from a thrift store or nearly identical purse which is brand new from Payless for the same price.

In other words, just like the purse thing, most women won't care.

I am right up there with I don't care what it is as long as it's reliable, maintained, doesn't smell weird, and is clean inside. I am more likely to be impressed with a man who keeps an old car and keeps it running and in good shape than a man who feels the need to be a spendthrift and try to impress people with new cars or certain brands or car. But that's just a personal quirk of mine.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:28 AM

367 posts, read 696,706 times
I doesn't matter to me as long as he maintains it. I drive an older car and I often think about the same would a man date a woman with an older car?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:58 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,425,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
This is like asking a man if he cares if you have Prada purse that you got from a thrift store or nearly identical purse which is brand new from Payless for the same price.

In other words, just like the purse thing, most women won't care.

I am right up there with I don't care what it is as long as it's reliable, maintained, doesn't smell weird, and is clean inside. I am more likely to be impressed with a man who keeps an old car and keeps it running and in good shape than a man who feels the need to be a spendthrift and try to impress people with new cars or certain brands or car. But that's just a personal quirk of mine.
It's not exactly the same thing. A car is a status symbol, and status is more important when a moman chooses a mate than the other way around. Yes, I know you're different, yadda, yadda...We're all angelic creatures here. Mind you, I don't ven notice women's looks.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,799,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
It's not exactly the same thing. A car is a status symbol, and status is more important when a moman chooses a mate than the other way around. Yes, I know you're different, yadda, yadda...We're all angelic creatures here. Mind you, I don't ven notice women's looks.
Trust me... a purse is a status symbol as well--especially some of those thousand dollar hand bags. But usually only other women notice, men not so much. In my opinion cars are the same. They are status symbols men use, but mainly it's other men who notice. I am not saying that woman aren't into status symbols, I am saying cars are more of a guy thing and you are more likely to impress other men than women with your wheels.

EDIT: One amendment... there is a time when cars are more of a status symbol for women. High school. And that's more along the lines of do you have your license and do you have one.

Quote:
90 percent of the women surveyed said that wearing bad clothes is worse than driving a beat up car. And 75 percent of the women said a man's car plays a small or insignificant role in whether she'll date him.
http://www.tesh.com/story/cc/6/id/3287

Last edited by jillabean; 01-14-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,286 times
I drive a Pacer, and I do alright

Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Women generally aren't into cars very much. Number one priority for a car is reliability

Honestly, all the new cars look alike to me. So I can't look at a car and tell you what brand it is, nor do I care.

If the car is clean and the motor sounds good and there isn't a hole in the floor big enough to watch the road go by, I'm good. Although, I did once date a guy who was restoring a Karmann Ghia that had a sheet of plywood over a huge hole in the floorboards, and that was fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships