Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,283 times

Advertisements

I am not a dog person. Never have been. I think they smell and eat their own poo. No way do I want one in my house.

I recently went to a party at a friend's house and started talking with someone who mentioned their dog. Not only is it in their small NYC apartment, but its a large (75 pound) dog with lots of hair. I shudder to think about this.

A friend started complaining that she thought the dog guy was cute, but when he asked for her number later, she wouldn't give it, saying she "didn't want to lead him on- he's a dog person." She, like myself, is clearly not. I got this, completely, but another friend said "Are you kidding? Just go out with him. You can worry about the dog later."

I realized that throughout my dating life, I, too, have avoided the self-professed "dog people" because I know I never ever want a dog. If the person has a large breed, I REALLY crossed them off the list. I wonder if I should have just "worried about the dog later."

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Most people have their "deal breakers" when it comes to what they will or won't tolerate in life and in relationships.

However, the more rigid you are about other people and situations the less likely you are to find a good partner or BE a good partner.

So if your extreme dislike of dogs is not something you can rethink and be willing to change then don't date a dog owner. You need to understand that the dog is NOT going anywhere and you are setting the potential relationship up for many problems.

Just be sure this is only one of a handful of deal breakers you have, and that you are flexible on many other things, and you should be okay though

Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I am not a dog person. Never have been. I think they smell and eat their own poo. No way do I want one in my house.

I recently went to a party at a friend's house and started talking with someone who mentioned their dog. Not only is it in their small NYC apartment, but its a large (75 pound) dog with lots of hair. I shudder to think about this.

A friend started complaining that she thought the dog guy was cute, but when he asked for her number later, she wouldn't give it, saying she "didn't want to lead him on- he's a dog person." She, like myself, is clearly not. I got this, completely, but another friend said "Are you kidding? Just go out with him. You can worry about the dog later."

I realized that throughout my dating life, I, too, have avoided the self-professed "dog people" because I know I never ever want a dog. If the person has a large breed, I REALLY crossed them off the list. I wonder if I should have just "worried about the dog later."

Any thoughts?
I might be ok with a large dog once I knew that it was friendly, but my cat would never go for it, so it's a dealbreaker for me also.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:30 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
I ♥ dogs.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Unless there is a shortage of guys without dogs, why bother?

Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,283 times
I am okay with cats, as long as there aren't more than 2 and the house doesn't smell or have tons of hair. I have had several cats as pets over the years, and generally enjoy them. I just don't get the dog thing. I can certainly pet them and some of them are cute, but I don't like being in enclosed spaces with them for extended periods of time. They generally have a smell that I am really sensitive to.

I also don't get why anyone wants to spend all their time with a dog. They seem to be really in need of attention. A partner who has to cut out early on an evening to take the dog out, or walk their dog all the time, take the dog running, etc., just holds no appeal. So its always been an immediate "no" but maybe I have been overreacting?

Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,551 times
I probably wouldn't date someone with serious intentions, if they had a large dog. I'm not afraid of dogs, I'm just not really a dog person. I don't mind smaller dogs as much, but I still prefer either cats or no pets.

I wouldn't have an issue with casually dating someone who owned a big dog, but there's no way we'd be able to move in together or anything like that. I don't want to live with a dog, and I doubt the dog and my cat would get along. (And hey, he might hate my cat.)

I did briefly date a guy who had a big dog - some sort of boxer mix - and this dog drooled like crazy. It was disgusting. I didn't even like being at his house.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
I was raised basically alongside my father's pack of hunting dogs. I grew up with litters of puppies trailing at my heels. My deepest secrets were not told to my best human friends, but whispered into a hound dog's floppy ear. My dogs sleep in my bed with me when there's no one taking up the other side, and they take up quite a bit of my time in terms of exercise, training and care.

I'd prefer to know immediately that someone WASN'T a dog person. So I could scratch them off. I can't be with someone who has an actual aversion to an integral part of my life.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I also don't get why anyone wants to spend all their time with a dog. They seem to be really in need of attention. A partner who has to cut out early on an evening to take the dog out, or walk their dog all the time, take the dog running, etc., just holds no appeal. So its always been an immediate "no" but maybe I have been overreacting?
Well, I'm this way with my cat so I can understand it. lol

Old 01-16-2014, 05:12 PM

537 posts, read 1,242,446 times
Before I owned a dog, I didn't really care either way, but that would never be a deal breaker for me. From experience, I feel like people who love their animals tend to be very caring people. There are always jerks, but anyone who adopts an animal and takes the time to care for them is, well, awesome in my book.

But I totally understand where you are coming from. Some people just aren't into owning dogs or other animals and have no intention on doing it in the future. If that's a deal breaker for you, then that's totally fine. It might limit your choices drastically, but it takes all kinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships