Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:50 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
That's the thing, they don't say it, they just don't call back if the man doesn't act according to her expectations.

Refer back to my original post: don't listen to what women say, watch what they do.
And that's the advice that matters, for the men who want it.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Exactly! Let's see the average man on the street being approached by an overweight woman versus a thin one and see what we wind up with.
You'd see the same thing. Of course you would. But that's not the topic. (Edit: To clarify, I mean you'd see men doing the same thing you see the women doing)

You can call it out for being hypocritical (which would just make both genders equal in doing so), or start another thread about men who are biased towards fit women. Both would be accurate.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
That's the thing, they don't say it, they just don't call back if the man doesn't act according to her expectations.

Refer back to my original post: don't listen to what women say, watch what they do.
Despite all the women who are drooling on their keyboards in rage at me, all I've really been saying is that these things are equal. Women are biased. Men are also biased. We justify it in the name of "preferences". The catch is that I think a lot of women deny it (and if the men have been denying it too, I just missed it).

I don't call a woman back if she doesn't act according to MY expectations, either. It goes both ways. Everything does.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,799,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Despite all the women who are drooling on their keyboards in rage at me, all I've really been saying is that these things are equal. Women are biased. Men are also biased. We justify it in the name of "preferences". The catch is that I think a lot of women deny it (and if the men have been denying it too, I just missed it).

I don't call a woman back if she doesn't act according to MY expectations, either. It goes both ways. Everything does.
I think women aren't denying it... they are denying the heavy handed, far extreme presented when these threads say, "All women ONLY care about ___." Sometimes that blank is money, sometimes height, sometimes looks, sometimes status, etc. And usually the posters spouting it insist that all women are exactly like this and are all alike. You just don't see as many posts where women claim All men only care about ___. They happen, but these kinds of "woman are one dimensional based on ___ threads" seem to happen a lot more.

It just gets irritating. No one denies all those things could come into play or that some women have preferences for a man with money, or a man with good looks in a man, or a man with status.... but not all women prefer the same things. Some prefer a combination of things and some really do prefer men with good personalities, sense of humor, etc. What's irritating is this notion that all women are shallow unloving monsters that all only care about whatever the theme of the thread is. Usually it's something the Op can feels he can't control.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:16 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,697,399 times
Unfortunately the truth is there is no enough rich men. Many women are married with a poor/average income guy.

I am against richness , It is a deal breaker for me.

Rich People More Likely to Lie, Cheat, Study Suggests | Socioeconomic Status & Unethical Behaviors | Warren Buffett & Bill Gates | LiveScience

And perhaps there is exceptions but they are rare.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
Ultimate income or wealth is not the end all and be all for some people and therefore, is not the prime factor they are looking at in a partner either.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 AM

11,783 posts, read 12,019,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
What's irritating is this notion that all women are shallow unloving monsters that all only care about whatever the theme of the thread is. Usually it's something the Op can feels he can't control.
Nailed it!

And even better, when women give their opinions, a guy will come along and say we're all liars anyway, which begs the question why any of these guys want a date with a woman in the first place since we're all so horrid.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I think women aren't denying it... they are denying the heavy handed, far extreme presented when these threads say, "All women ONLY care about ___." Sometimes that blank is money, sometimes height, sometimes looks, sometimes status, etc. And usually the posters spouting it insist that all women are exactly like this and are all alike. You just don't see as many posts where women claim All men only care about ___. They happen, but these kinds of "woman are one dimensional based on ___ threads" seem to happen a lot more.

It just gets irritating. No one denies all those things could come into play or that some women have preferences for a man with money, or a man with good looks in a man, or a man with status.... but not all women prefer the same things. Some prefer a combination of things and some really do prefer men with good personalities, sense of humor, etc. What's irritating is this notion that all women are shallow unloving monsters that all only care about whatever the theme of the thread is. Usually it's something the Op can feels he can't control.

I get it. And it would suck to see that all the time, just as it does with the "all men do xyz" threads.

But we won't see the end of OPs of either gender complaining about things out of their control. Hell, a lot of the stuff upsets me and I actually fall into the "tall guys with money" category. I can only imagine how pissed off I'd be if I didn't. But the counterarguments aren't very reasonable either, and equally frustrating to see.

If people think it's hypocritical, say so. Or start another thread complaining about what you don't like. But we are in fact seeing people passive-aggressively denying that things like this exist outright, or that they're justified because the other gender does it HARDER. Or whatever.

Anyway, you're one of the voices of reason around here, jilla. Thanks for contributing

Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,344,147 times
I suspect that the men who seem surprised or indignant about real women's preferences either believe the cultural myth that women are somehow above all that, or they hope that women are. I know women get tired of the hollywood story where the externally beautiful woman comes to recognize the internally beautiful man, especially since the man is often not so beautiful on the inside, either. But those stories don't help men much either because they keep Joe average holding out for the beauty and feeling like a loser because he can't "create attraction." Joe average would actually be much happier noticing attraction when it's coming from Jane average.

The thing is, women are people, and people are going to take care of themselves and their interests. Women's interets are still a bit different from men's, but on balance they add up about the same. And plants need a certain amount of water, and it's cold here in the winter time.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I suspect that the men who seem surprised or indignant about real women's preferences either believe the cultural myth that women are somehow above all that, or they hope that women are. I know women get tired of the hollywood story where the externally beautiful woman comes to recognize the internally beautiful man, especially since the man is often not so beautiful on the inside, either. But those stories don't help men much either because they keep Joe average holding out for the beauty and feeling like a loser because he can't "create attraction." Joe average would actually be much happier noticing attraction when it's coming from Jane average.

The thing is, women are people, and people are going to take care of themselves and their interests. Women's interets are still a bit different from men's, but on balance they add up about the same. And plants need a certain amount of water, and it's cold here in the winter time.
Definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.