Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
I can't see the logic in automatically assuming "a guy drinking soda" = "a responsible person who values his and the people he is with lives more than a good time". Especially as that was not included in the scenario and that hasn't been my experiences or observations.

Seems you're reacting quite emotionally and projecting some possible personal issues to suddenly go off on not getting with the guy drinking with soda equates to getting with a drunkard. So it seems you deal in absolutes and extremes particularly negative ones meant to shame/guilt the other and there is no middle social drinker....and that is why I avoid the guy drinking soda because it seems to be outrage, guilt-trips, lectures, and holier than thou attitudes.
Lol, soda drinkers are holier than thou? I thought they were just addicted to caffeine? Or here is a thought don't like the taste of alcohol?People that do get drunk get loud and stupid.

Try telling a drunk no vrs. A sober person.

Yes you can get the straigh edge telling you ewww alcohol is so bad for you. While I like alcohol myself but the truth of the matter is, it IS bad for you.

It's a another for of a drug. Over use it, it causes horrible problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Lol, soda drinkers are holier than thou? I thought they were just addicted to caffeine? Or here is a thought don't like the taste of alcohol?People that do get drunk get loud and stupid.

Yes you can get the straigh edge telling you ewww alcohol is so bad for you. While I like alcohol myself but the truth of the matter is, it IS bad for you.

In my experiences/observations yes they are and this thread supports this.

Meh I've tried telling both types no it seems the only true difference is gender. Gals tend to accept it and guys don't.

Here's my point it seems to many soda drinkers drinking alcohol = over using it. Hence my dealing in absolutes and extremes with holier than thou attitudes.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:

It is indeed a drug. Since alcoholism runs in both sides of my family I can attest to this.

Udolipixie and lightning otf both leap to extreme conclusions in their arguments and that makes them merely two sides of the same coin.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:50 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
I don't go out to bars very often but when I do it's to see live music.

I asked a bartender a few weeks ago (female who smiled at me when I walked up) if she had Perrier.
If looks could kill...

OP - If one feels pressure to order a drink with alcohol in it the person or people you're trying to impress isn't worth your time.
If she has a problem with you not drinking alcohol it's best to move on. Not everyone feels that way and it should score points with many women.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:05 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning OTF View Post
I don't care if other people do. I'm not a drinker, I'd rather have pop. I don't lecture anybody. I do tend to get upset when you back into my truck in a 3 acre open parking lot though as any man would. You should always have a driver and a "strong arm" with you. That way when your date gets trashed you can punch the guy trying to rape her when she goes to the girls room in the face.
If she goes to the girls room in the face, then she's had WAY too much to drink and really shouldn't be out in public. She might even need to be taken to a hospital.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,237 times
I didn't read all those posts; I'm just adding my 2 cents.

If I drink soda at a bar I tip like I'm drinking alcohol; it's only fair to the server and far more impressive to a lady.

I can't drink as much soda as I can booze so I'll make the first tip more substantial and also have ice water as an accompaniment to all drinks.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
I don't go to bars very often, but if I did go and noticed a guy not drinking booze, I would not think he was a whimp. I would think it is good he is responsible enough to not drink and drive.

If you are worried about it, order something like a coke with a lime...could pass for rum and coke. It is sad when we feel like we have to "impress" somebody by drinking.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Drunk people want to talk to other drunk people and sober people want to talk to other sober people. A sober person that goes out of their way to interact with drunk people or vice versa is odd and suspicious.

As for not drinking at bars, it all depends on the time, the place, and the person. I know of some bars where you will get dirty looks if you don't just drink the same whiskey that everyone else drinks. I cannot think of any good reason why a non-drinker would go there though, so you can see where the suspicion comes from. It is the same suspicious looks that you get if you are very overdressed. If everyone else is wearing dirty work clothes, your sport coat and plaid bow tie is going to make you stand out, and not in a good way.

On the other hand, if a place serves food, shows sporting events, or caters to a diverse crowd there is no awkwardness associated with not drinking. After a motorcycle wreck I was on some painkillers for a while that prevented me from drinking any alcohol at all. I didn't see any difference in my ability to meet women with a coffee in my hand vs. a beer or whiskey.

However I am completely unqualified to give advice on meeting women in bars. I have never had a relationship last more than a month with a woman whom I met in a bar, while all of my serious relationships, including my ex-wife as well as my girlfriend, developed without any booze involved for at least the first month, even on dates. I am not a big drinker and I could not date a woman who was. Whenever I find myself in a bar after midnight, the absolute last thing on anyone's mind is a long term relationship. I cannot imagine why a non drinker would want to meet drunk men/women unless their intentions were sleazy.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
It is indeed a drug. Since alcoholism runs in both sides of my family I can attest to this.

Udolipixie and lightning otf both leap to extreme conclusions in their arguments and that makes them merely two sides of the same coin.
I'm sorry you had to deal with alcoholics only some of my aunts and uncles went through this. So I do feel your pain.

Both posters just have experiences that hit home for both of them.

Better than an Indian nickel or double sided coin contridicting.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 AM

457 posts, read 605,044 times
Quote:

That's me as well, it gets almost gaggy at times trying to drink beer. The light beers have a blah taste, and the mixed drinks have a potent taste that I guess is just not for me. I'll occasionally buy a beer because I feel I have to, but that's about it. I'm a bit of a control freak, so getting to the point of drunkenness is uncomfortable to me. That said, I will not take a holier than thou attitude unless perhaps dealing with a raging alcoholic who is showing no willpower in controlling him/herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships