Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times

Advertisements

No, it would not affect my interaction. I would think it was cool to talk to a guy who is not only sober (a rarity in bars), but responsible enough to not drink and drive. I also like that he is making no attempt to drink to appear to "fit in" with his friends. Don't change a thing OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,398,974 times
Not everyone in a bar is drunk.

Not everyone without an alcoholic drink in a bar is sanctimonious.

Some of you really like to see polarity in everything, huh?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post

Sometimes the axis has a tilt.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
Sometimes when we go out I'll just drink diet coke. Might feel like going out to have a good time with the wife and friends but don't feel like drinking.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It's not that people are so obsessed with drinking, but a lot of times someone who doesn't drink at all will tend to look down on people who drink. It can be a little awkward if a guy and all his buddies are out drinking and having a good time and he either can't bring his girlfriend along because she'll judge them or mope the whole time and say "you know..... wwe should talk about your friends...... i don't think they're the best influence, maybe you shouldn't talk to them as much"

I'm not saying that's you.. but that's what comes to my head when a girl says she doesn't drink at all. It would mean she really couldn't hang with me and my friends or even me with my family.

No one cares if you're drinking or not. If you were at the bar and were talking to me, it wouldn't bother me if you were drinking water, pineapple juice or a beer.

However if you were drinking a non-alcoholic drink and saying how you hate alcohol and people who drink and saying how dumb the bar is.. I'd probably get up and walk away.
I don't drink because I'm allergic to both yeast and sulfites and I tend to not like to throw up on people. However, I've found if I tell people I'm allergic, they tend to not believe me and want me to drink so they can prove to me that I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
If I drink soda at a bar I tip like I'm drinking alcohol; it's only fair to the server and far more impressive to a lady.
I tip nicely as well. Not the server's fault I can't drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post

Welcome to the board. Things here are very black and white.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
However I am completely unqualified to give advice on meeting women in bars. I have never had a relationship last more than a month with a woman whom I met in a bar, while all of my serious relationships, including my ex-wife as well as my girlfriend, developed without any booze involved for at least the first month, even on dates. I am not a big drinker and I could not date a woman who was. Whenever I find myself in a bar after midnight, the absolute last thing on anyone's mind is a long term relationship. I cannot imagine why a non drinker would want to meet drunk men/women unless their intentions were sleazy.
You got me way beat. I never had a relationship with someone I met in a bar.

Come to think of it I may not have ever had so much as a date with someone I met in a bar.

As others mentioned - not everyone in a bar is drunk.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:20 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

Come to think of it I may not have ever had so much as a date with someone I met in a bar.

Me either I usually meet people from my social gatherings.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:05 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
I prefer to stay sober, since I hate losing my edge. If fights start, then you have the upper hand.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

The last guy I dated I met in a bar. Should've taken my friend's then 18 year old daughter's advice of "you don't want to date someone you met in a bar." (Technically, I met him through Meetup, but it was still at a bar).

Old 01-22-2014, 07:56 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I'm sorry you had to deal with alcoholics only some of my aunts and uncles went through this. So I do feel your pain.

Both posters just have experiences that hit home for both of them.

Better than an Indian nickel or double sided coin contridicting.
Thanks.

BTW I wasn't judging them. I don't tell people not to drink. Its just my personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships