Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,179,531 times

Advertisements

"... Your mind and your experience call to me. You have lived and your intelligence is sexy..." -Morphine, "You Look Like Rain.

Listen and weep, my friends.

Morphine - You Look Like Rain - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 02:50 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, I'll even make an exception for a Canadian.....

Oh? Well, in appreciation, I just might send you one of my extra sets of commemorative Queen Elizibeth II china.

Would you like that? It will be in SoCal in 3-4 months, via dog sled. You'll have to feed them and send them back. They run pretty good on maple syrup and poutine.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 01-19-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 02:59 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDancergirl View Post
I don't mean to sound boastful but I consider myself attractive. I get told that ALL the time. I'm a professional cheerleader for a NFL team and do lots of public appearances where I am usually hit on by men...but they usually know they have no chance and it's in good fun. Outside of that it's rare I'll ever get hit on. During the week I work at as a realtor and many of the men I show places to will flirt with me but never ask me out.

This one guy I was really interested in asked my coworker about me by email (he showed me the email between them). He pretty much said he thought I was beautiful and wanted to know if I was single. My coworker told him yes but he never sent him another email. Today I gave him a tour of another property and the whole time he didn't ask me out! I am baffled. This happens all the time! A guy will ask someone about me and not say a word to me personally. There was another customer I had that did the same thing...asked a coworker about my single status but never said anything to me! It's funny guys always ask me how I'm single...well maybe if you'd ask me out! So my question is...could the reasoning be that they are scared/intimidated by me? I never really believed this to be true but I don't know why else
Why couldn't you ask him out? All you had to say was, a little birdie told me that you were inquiring about me, then take it from there. If you look that good, guys just assume you have to be taken already. You can lose out on a good man waiting for him to ask you out, it can work both ways. good luck

Old 01-19-2014, 03:26 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
It's not that I was intimidated by beautiful women; I just learned over the years that they usually weren't all that attractive once you got to know them, so I usually didn't bother. I know this bias of mine isn't always accurate, but it proved true often enough that I did let it affect who I approached for much of my life.
What I notice is that women who are generally regarded as hot or beautiful seem to have this hurdle to overcome - the prejudice that they are stuck-up and shallow. This, IMO, is actually making the prejudice person the shallow one - they are the one judging by appearance.

This also involves also prejudices - such as, a confident woman being more prone to heartlessly reject you, or a quiet woman being cold & into herself, etc. People PROJECT a lot onto others, and it's their own insecurities & not a accurate reading of what the other person is like. And if you're approaching someone with that projection, then you're setting up a negative dynamic from the get-go.

I think the men who say they talk to beautiful women about non-obvious subjects (in this case, don't talk about football or her good looks) and seem to get a more positive reaction are onto something. They're making less assumptions & this will allow a natural dynamic to come through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
"Beautiful" like "successful" is subjective and I hear both often used as reasons by women on why aren't where they want to be when it comes to men
True, but let's not pretend there are not any objective standards. If that were the case, this "cheerleader type" would have no meaning, whereas most here are accepting it usually means "good-looking".
Most of us are products of our generation when it comes to ideas of what's attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Work on YOUR physical cues to let men know you are interested and available. If you talk to him and act like every other woman he meets than you will get the same treatment that every other woman gets. But if you smile, make eye contact, and learn how to ask men questions they will pick up pretty quickly.

I have a feeling that you are not doing some of these things.
I agree....this is what less beautiful but more attractive/approachable women do - they send more signals which boost the man's ego, whether they realize they do it or not.

Even if you're not bringing someone's ego down, if you're not feeding his ego then he's not going to have that much motivation to stick his neck out & ask you out.

Here's an example of feeding an ego - a man sees himself as "the funny guy". He makes jokes. You laugh at some. Another woman uproariously laughs at ALL his jokes. Who is more attractive to him? The physical appearance of each will have less to do with it unless it's a significant gulf & one of you is too far from his general taste.

Even when not interacting, but from a distance, do you seem to be into yourself or are you noticing the men around you & acknowledging them even just in body language & eyes? The latter is ego boosting in simply noting someone's existence. All of these little things add up, IMO.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:52 PM

113 posts, read 275,202 times
Lots of beautiful people have lovely personalities. The stereotypes of pretty people being shallow or vapid is complete horsesh*t

Old 01-19-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideLightning View Post
Lots of beautiful people have lovely personalities. The stereotypes of pretty people being shallow or vapid is complete horsesh*t
Nobody has been 'sterotyping' anyone. Can you read?

Don't you have your own thread on the subject you can go whine in?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:57 PM

113 posts, read 275,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Nobody has been 'sterotyping' anyone. Can you read?

Don't you have your own thread on the subject you can go whine in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
It's not that I was intimidated by beautiful women; I just learned over the years that they usually weren't all that attractive once you got to know them, so I usually didn't bother.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:58 PM

457 posts, read 693,659 times
Most guys consider beautiful women:
- taken
- high maintenance
- out of their league
- assume they're constantly hit on, and will be quick to reject

Old 01-19-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideLightning View Post
Go back to your own whiny thread.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:14 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,731,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
Most guys consider beautiful women:
- taken
- high maintenance
- out of their league
- assume they're constantly hit on, and will be quick to reject
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships