Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times

Advertisements

Beautiful, intelligent, ambitious women are no doubt intimidating, but they still put on socks one at a time just like anyone else. Even though I'm pretty high on myself, I still try to feel such a girl as described earlier out before I just flat out ask if she'd like to go on a date. Shouldn't we all swing for the fences though when looking for a partner? If I'm not somewhat nervous around her for the first few weeks, she probably isn't the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with.

I feel like what I just posted was completely contradictory, but it's whatevs b/c this is city data and I can do what I want to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 PM

250 posts, read 399,788 times
Im not intimidated in the slightest, but my first thoughts if you're exceptionally hot is that you're going to be an exceptional pain in my ass.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:26 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
I've had the lovely opportunity of hooking up with a professional cheerleader before. She was taken aback by me because I treated her like a completely normal human being lol. I never complimented her on her looks and we engaged in a deep conversation; I wanted to frolic in her mind to uncover what drives her, what motivates her, what her perspectives about world events and social processes are, and create an interplay of emotions based on shared interests. I never brought up football, money, or made assumptions about her based on her profession.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:45 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
I like to have a little intimidation. No intimidation at first probably means I feel no attraction.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:00 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Idk Me personally I dont think gorgeous girls are intimating because of there looks. I think there intimating because most of the time they have these impossibly high standards that even they cant reach. Im a winner, for the odds i overcame but im not superman.

@Op hes prob shy, ask him out. Or flirt with him to let him know your interested. This my give him the courge to ask.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:20 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times
Hot guys aren't intimidated by beautiful women.

Beautiful women chase them.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:39 PM

686 posts, read 1,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDancergirl View Post
True or False...Guys are intimidated by beautiful women?
False. Next question.

Insecure guys may be intimidated by women period, doesn't matter if they are cute, pretty, beautiful, frumpy, etc. Confident men are not intimidated.

Beautiful women don't join internet message boards to ask strangers questions like this. Nor do they go on and on about how beautiful they are and such. Unless they are insecure themselves. Im sure in a few weeks we will all be able to look back on your posting history and find that it doesn't exist, save for the few replies you make here.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:48 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
1) If you're as attractive as you say you are and I saw you in public, I'd assume you're taken, which means I wouldn't approach you unless I was having one of my IDGAF days. Since you mention that some of these guys knew you're single, that would necessarily apply to me. Not "intimidation" (though I know many guys who would feel that way), but just a time/ego saver. There are too many potential reasons to say "no", and since I'd be the one doing the approaching, I'll approach someone who's more likely to say "yes". That said, you should have an enormous amount of success asking guys out yourself. I'd recommend it.

2) As mentioned before, cheerleaders don't make much money (very loosely related: neither do minor league athletes). Sometimes there are other related opportunities (modeling, etc.), but cheerleading alone isn't very

Old 01-19-2014, 12:26 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Most men will make the first move, but they need the women to give them some cues. Personally, I'm not intimidated by so-called beautiful women. In fact, I probably come across as a bit gruff. I hate when guys go overboard over a pretty face. These women receive that type of attention all the time. If you want to grab their attention, talk to them and engage them in conversations that don't revolve around their good looks.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
Im not intimidated in the slightest, but my first thoughts if you're exceptionally hot is that you're going to be an exceptional pain in my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post

I have come to the conclusion that being pretty, or aesthetically pleasing, is not the same as "attractive". And there are women who are attractive who are not particularly pretty, and so they get approached & asked out.
These are the two posts that really resonated with me.

OP, you sound like a really nice, interesting woman, but one thing I learned from experience over the years is that an awful lot of women who are really beautiful in the classic sense often turn out to be not very interesting people. They often tend to place much more importance on how they look than on who they are on the inside, and once you get to know them, you come to find that the only things that are really beautiful about them are their face and their body. Whereas on the other hand, some of the most absolutely amazingly attractive women I've ever met were women who many other men didn't even notice, but - once I talked to them and got to know them even for just a few minutes - turned out to be so utterly fascinating all I wanted to do was just sit there and listen to them tell me more about who they were and what made them tick.

It's not that I was intimidated by beautiful women; I just learned over the years that they usually weren't all that attractive once you got to know them, so I usually didn't bother. I know this bias of mine isn't always accurate, but it proved true often enough that I did let it affect who I approached for much of my life. I met my wife over the internet, and got to know her over a period of several years before she ever showed me a picture, but if I'd known what she looked like when I first "met" her online, I have to admit I probably wouldn't have been too interested. Which is part of the reason she didn't show me a photo until I was already head over heels in love with her. She wanted me to want her for who she was, not what she looked like. So yeah, this preconception is certainly not always accurate, but I lived by it for years, and I think a lot of other men do as well. For better or worse.

But as I said, you really sound like a very nice, down to earth, interesting person. If there's a guy with whom you're "smitten," as you put it, I say go for it. Make a move of some sort, even if it's just dropping a hint about being single or something like that. Sometimes the nicest guys, and the best catches, are just really shy and need a little help getting out of the starting gate. Best of luck to you; I hope it works out really well for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships