Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:44 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Uhm, no you weren't just giving your own experience as you did apply it to the entire gender.

Learn how to present "your own personal experiences."
Oh wow, here we go. Okay you want to be that punctual well here we go. They were addressed in the context of the girls I dated. Women tend to get very clingy at first, let's pick this apart. Women, half way through my paragraph was addressing just that women in general, yes. The next word, tend, is of frequent behavior, but in no way defines all women or even makes a hint at a number of women or even the majority of women. And lastly, this sentence was in regards to my experience, as in the WOMEN I have encountered. Get off your high horse and stop thinking people are attacking women please.

Oh, and congratulations on sucking the wind out of this thread and derailing the OPs topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 09:57 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,174,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Oh wow, here we go. Okay you want to be that punctual well here we go. They were addressed in the context of the girls I dated. Women tend to get very clingy at first, let's pick this apart. Women, half way through my paragraph was addressing just that women in general, yes. The next word, tend, is of frequent behavior, but in no way defines all women or even makes a hint at a number of women or even the majority of women. And lastly, this sentence was in regards to my experience, as in the WOMEN I have encountered. Get off your high horse and stop thinking people are attacking women please.

Oh, and congratulations on sucking the wind out of this thread and derailing the OPs topic.
Learn how to type then. It's not that difficult and no one is derailing a thread but you by applying all of your experience to all women. I simply was clarifying your post.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:59 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,498,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I'm 30 and she's 27. We are in the middle of a fight right now… and I'm thinking…
What is the current fight about? Is it over something petty? Something you guys have argued about before? A fundamental difference between the two of you?

Quote:
How often do normal couples fight? What's the arguments about and what is "normal" to disagree about in relationships?
Ideally, I would say you shouldn't be fighting that much. A minor argument maybe once or twice a month, serious arguments much rarer than that.

To some extent, the amount you argue is a predictor of your compatibility as a couple. Some couples are better in tune than others. They just don't naturally have much to argue about. They have similar ideas about how a household is run, what they want from life, and don't create a lot of conflict. Other couples aren't as naturally compatible but are really good at communicating and adjusting to each other's needs.

The problem comes when you have an issue on which you aren't compatible and one/both parties are unwilling to bend/respect the other's needs. That's why I asked if it was something you guys have argued about before. You mention "nagging." That word usually comes into play when it's something that has come up before, which to me might indicate she's expressed her feelings about *whatever it is* and you aren't doing a good job of respecting them. Or maybe she's freakishly uptight about it. Who knows.

Quote:
Frankly, I feel like all she does is nag at me about the littlest things. Then, when I tell her I feel like she's nagging at me and that she doesn't like me for who I am, she gets even more pissed.
This is a double-edged sword. No woman likes to feel like she has to be a parent to her man. Women want an equal partner. And no man wants to feel like he's being lectured by his mother. The problem comes in when the behavior in question is not one that is appropriate for a 30-year-old man, or conducive to a relationship. You haven't been specific about what's going on, but you need to ask yourself, is what she's asking reasonable? (Pick up after yourself, do half of all chores in the household, do half of shopping, cooking, etc) Or is it unreasonable? (You must put your socks in this order in your drawer. Green beans must sit next to the corn in the pantry.) You can pull the "she doesn't like me for me" line if it's really something extremely picky. But if she's just asking you to pull your weight and not be a slob, then it may be time for the reality check that no woman on this planet wants to be with a guy who's a slouch and doesn't pull his weight. If you want to be part of a couple, not live as a hermit, compromise comes with that.

Quote:
Is this a normal part of relationships or is mine just messed up?!
Again, really depends on the context of what's going on. If she's telling you, "Please quit leaving dirty dishes in the sink," and you're responding with, "You just don't like me for me," then I can understand why she's getting pissed. You're disrespecting what she's trying to communicate to her and not being a respectful partner anyone would want to live with.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,640,523 times
Since you're asking this question, then you do argue too much as a couple, yes.

(I hate arguing too)

Old 01-19-2014, 10:24 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
Having disagreements in a relationship is quit normal; solving them is a different matter. I suggest, you both meet in the middle and come to some sort of an agreement. And If your problems can't be solved, I suggest reconsidering your relationship.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:04 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
If you have to ask, it's too much for you.

Are you a good roommate? If not, man up and make that happen. Then you can consider the romantic side of the relationship.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:36 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,356 times
[quote=MJ7;33085089
Oh, and congratulations on sucking the wind out of this thread and derailing the OPs topic.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Learn how to type then. It's not that difficult and no one is derailing a thread but you by applying all of your experience to all women. I simply was clarifying your post.
Look, it's you guy's first argument...lol.

I'd agree with kitkatbar about a minor argument 1 or 2 times a month. A major argument for me and mine, maybe once or twice a year, serious enough where it lasts longer than a day and someone's on the couch.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:45 PM

22,552 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:

Frankly, I feel like all she does is nag at me about the littlest things.
Man up and take care of those little things... then, no nagging!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:18 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times
I don't know... not enough information to make any kind of opinion. What is is that she nags you about? The toilet seat? Leaving a single dish in the sink? Not taking care of serious business that needs to be done? I can't tell if she's being nit-picky, or you're being lazy.

Details, please.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
I don't think there is any "normal" amount of arguing. It depends entirely upon the two people involved. Do you love her? Are you happy with her? Some people are perfectly happy in relationships that involve more bickering, debating, heated conversations, etc. Some people detest fighting and are only happy in calmer, more peaceful relationships.

What you have to figure out is if your current relationship is right for YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships