Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:04 PM

113 posts, read 275,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
There is no reason you can't meet people the old fashioned way. You are just making excuses. Widen your social circle.
I already do. I meet new people all the time...just none of them are attractive single women. I met 5 new people yesterday. 3 dudes and a couple girls who were already taken

I have absolutely horrible luck when it comes to dating in traditional means. I don't know if I can keep leaving this to luck

Old 01-19-2014, 03:05 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideLightning View Post
Really? Most women don't seem to be open to that. They want to date somebody from their social circle
I had my social circle, but they were and became just friends. I found it not prudent to date someone who you saw all the time or saw at the same events and fundraisers because what happens when you break up? You see that person all the time, picking up someone else.

Zentropa explains it more in this post as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
There is no reason you can't meet people the old fashioned way. You are just making excuses. Widen your social circle.

I went to a fundraising dinner last night and sat with a bunch of singles who started as strangers but were all best buddies by the end of the evening, and went off to a bar together after.

Volunteer. Join a non-profit board. Rescue dogs. Take a class. Join a co-ed sport.

My lord, why do basic social interactions have to be explained by total strangers on the Internet?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I had my social circle, but they were and became just friends. I found it not prudent to date someone who you saw all the time or saw at the same events and fundraisers because what happens when you break up?

I see people saying this online, yet in real life, nearly every guy I know met their GF at work/social circle (college if they are of that age). I wonder why this is?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I already do. I meet new people all the time...just none of them are attractive single women. I met 5 new people yesterday. 3 dudes and a couple girls who were already taken

I have absolutely horrible luck when it comes to dating in traditional means. I don't know if I can keep leaving this to luck
I gave money to a non-profit organization and then received invitations to fundraising events for EVERY non profit organization's events. So did my friends and we would eventually just get a whole table for us at these events. I met them all at one fundraiser. Some of them are quite fun. Bid For Bachelors for the March of Dimes was a scream.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:11 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
I make good income, am decent height 5'10', have a college degree and am pretty decent looking. Would OLD work for me?
Of course it would! Don't get me wrong, it is not an easy process. But even if you have 50 lousy dates and 5 good ones, you are practicing and finding out what works for you, and gaining confidence. Which is more than will happen if you stay home and do nothing.

Remember, it is called Online Dating, not Online-Meet-your-life-partner-right-away. It should really be called Online MEETING. You have absolutely nothing to lose.

I've been doing OLD for 8 years (which does not sound like a good track record, but I'm a middle-aged mother of 2) I went on some good dates and a LOT of LOUSY dates. But I learned something from every single one of those dates that helped me be more ready for the guy I'm supposed to be with when I finally met him.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Of course it would! Don't get me wrong, it is not an easy process. But even if you have 50 lousy dates and 5 good ones, you are practicing and finding out what works for you, and gaining confidence. Which is more than will happen if you stay home and do nothing.

Remember, it is called Online Dating, not Online-Meet-your-life-partner-right-away. It should really be called Online MEETING. You have absolutely nothing to lose.

I've been doing OLD for 8 years (which does not sound like a good track record, but I'm a middle-aged mother of 2) I went on some good dates and a LOT of LOUSY dates. But I learned something from every single one of those dates that helped me be more ready for the guy I'm supposed to be with when I finally met him.

For me the whole battle is just getting the date. I am usually very good at "closing" the deal (IE I have gotten nearly every job I interviewed for and could have dated almost every woman I've been on a date with)

Old 01-19-2014, 03:19 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Really? Most women don't seem to be open to that. They want to date somebody from their social circle
Where do you live? In the places where I've lived, some women are open to friendly chat in the check-out line, the coffee shop, the bakery, etc. A few women prefer not to be bothered, some women are already in a relationship, but it's not unusual for single women to go to the grocery store with the thought in the back of their minds that they might strike up a chat with someone. Instead of assuming the worst, stay open to the possibilities. Just practice being friendly to people.

Also try sports groups, public gyms or the local college gym, political or enviro orgs, volunteering, hobby groups, etc. Is there a popular coffee shop, bakery or pizza place in your town where the singles hang out? Most cities have at least one such place. Follow your interests--get involved in the local film society, photography classes (those tend to have predominantly female participants), or whatever interests you.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where do you live? In the places where I've lived, some women are open to friendly chat in the check-out line, the coffee shop, the bakery, etc. A few women prefer not to be bothered, some women are already in a relationship, but it's not unusual for single women to go to the grocery store with the thought in the back of their minds that they might strike up a chat with someone. Instead of assuming the worst, stay open to the possibilities. Just practice being friendly to people.

Also try sports groups, public gyms or the local college gym, political or enviro orgs, volunteering, hobby groups, etc. Is there a popular coffee shop, bakery or pizza place in your town where the singles hang out? Most cities have at least one such place. Follow your interests--get involved in the local film society, photography classes (those tend to have predominantly female participants), or whatever interests you.

The unfortunate aspect for me is I live in a suburb instead of a big city. There aren't really a ton of activities here with a bunch of young single people

Old 01-19-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I make good income, am decent height 5'10', have a college degree and am pretty decent looking. Would OLD work for me?
Nope it wouldn't work for you. Other people yes, but not for you. Why? Because you are already speaking on it in the negative.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
The unfortunate aspect for me is I live in a suburb instead of a big city. There aren't really a ton of activities here with a bunch of young single people
Do you know what a suburb is? It's a satellite of a big city. So you live near a big city. What's stopping you from participating in activities in the city?

btw, that city wouldn't happen to be Chicago, would it? There's a great network of soccer leagues there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships