Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:01 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalmale18 View Post
I had some success in online dating, but I felt it was a lot of work.
For sure. In fact that's the biggest downside. I've always done online dating in spurts, because after awhile it starts to feel like a second full-time job just to halfway keep up with it. I do it for a few weeks, then get overwhelmed and ignore it for a few weeks or months. (Usually by then I'd connected with enough women to last for awhile, anyway.)

When you consider the sheer number of women you can connect with, though, it's still a lot less work than trying to meet that many in an offline setting, at least for me.

Quote:
After awhile, I just waited till a girl I thought was attractive messaged me.
I've done that approach, but I (as most guys, I imagine) would have to wait awhile. I'm not that patient. Most of the women who contacted me first were not that attractive to me. I assume this is because the more attractive women are too busy responding to all the guys who contact them to bother reaching out.

Actually, I think the two most attractive women who ever reached out to me first online were a few months apart on myspace, if that tells you how long ago that was (2005-ish). One was 19 and the other was 23. Both were very attractive. I was an average-looking 31 year old. If it hadn't happened to me, I wouldn't believe it. Sigh...I miss those days.

Quote:
But anyways, I'm pretty good looking, so that helped.
I bet it did! In that case, I bet you do well cold-approaching women at bars and the like, too. I don't. (I think I've had success four or five times EVER doing that, and that's spread out over 15-20 years...and actually at least half of those approached me rather than I approaching them.) If so, no wonder online was more work for you.

Quote:
I had a lot of success with a funny profile. I kinda flipped the script and said instead of saying what I'm looking for, I'll put down what I don't want. I then proceeded, tongue in cheek, to list what I didn't want in a girl. Lines like if your bra size is bigger than your IQ we aren't going to work, and if you flip on me for no reason after I brought you soup cause you weren't feeling well, I'll eat the soup myself, etc. I just made it clear I was writing with a smile. I got a lot of compliments on that profile, and some dates.
I would warn most people against putting anything negative on a dating profile, even if it's funny. Congrats on pulling it off, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
They use "you" instead of "u." At least, the gentlemen who have been successful with me.
Yep.

Sheesh. Why do some people think that they can revert to "dumb speech" once they start typing?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:30 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yep.

Sheesh. Why do some people think that they can revert to "dumb speech" once they start typing?
I've heard that teachers are starting to see "text" style writing on tests now.

U know what I mean........

Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
I like Pig Latin...

Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've heard that teachers are starting to see "text" style writing on tests now.

U know what I mean........
That style of writing was semi-justifiable back during the days of tedious "typing" on the numerical keypads of phones to send text messages. Now that most people's phones have QWERTY keyboards. predictive text, and autocorrect, I don't really understand why any1 still does it.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
That style of writing was semi-justifiable back during the days of tedious "typing" on the numerical keypads of phones to send text messages. Now that most people's phones have QWERTY keyboards. predictive text, and autocorrect, I don't really understand why any1 still does it.
lol

Old 01-20-2014, 02:52 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
lol
Oh you got him!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:56 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Oh you got him!
Not really. the "any1" was a joke.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times
To the OP:

"Successful" is an arbitrary term. For some men it means "hook up." For others, it means to find a quality woman they want to spend the rest of their lives with, or at least a considerable part of their time.

If it's the later, the odds are against you. A lot of my female friends are disgusted with online dating and have thrown in the towel. Now they just hang around waiting for their memberships to expire so they'll have war stories to compare.

From my experience: the vast majority of men on these sites are not "good to go". They have no business being there. They're either right out of a relationship, don't really want a relationship, are separated/secretly married, or they have deal breakers so big, you can see why they don't meet anyone IRL.

The first thing you have to do is remember that these are not just "profiles"; they are people -- living, breathing women with feelings and hopes and dreams of finding a really nice guy. Each one of them is highly unique. This is someone's daughter, sister, or even mother, and they have people who love them dearly. I think that this is the No. 1 thing that people forget when they go online -- that they're not just looking at "people product."

You can tailor your profile all you want (the "lure" to allure), but unless it reflects the genuine essence of who you are, as well as your intent, success is, again, arbitrary, depending on your definition of it. Just be honest.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Not really. the "any1" was a joke.
Are you really nearnorth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships