Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 AM

326 posts, read 313,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
I'm just curious. What do you think about all the women who do the same thing to men? Do you consider those women leeches or bums as well?

I've seen this question asked on these forums, and usually the women ignore it. Or they have no problem with it. Why is it acceptable for a women to be a bum or a leech on men's salaries?

There's plenty of women who don't and/or don't plan to do squat and just look for a rich man to take care of them. Aren't they losers or low lifes like the men that are talked about on these forums?
I think you hit something there. Most men would go for looks and how good she was in the sack over a wealthy woman who was homely. I bet 9/10 would in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 01:20 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
In many cases, for the same reasons some employers require at least a 4-year degree in any field, not necessarily one related to the specific position - simply because it shows that the applicant has what it takes to set a goal, stick to it over a period of several years, and accomplish that goal. A lot of people in this thread seem to be ridiculing it, but to me, it sounds like an entirely valid screening tool. I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 AM

572 posts, read 709,035 times
Yea, but honestly, how many women are REALLY ATTRACTIVE WOMEN for men to not give a crap? It's pretty damn low. So 99% of women are not in that boat.
I've seen men bashed on this forum quite a bit if they don't have a great career, great job, great credit. They're bums, losers, not good enough, blah blah blah.

But there's PLENTY of women in the same situation, if not more. So....are they bums and losers too?

Like I said, I've seen a lot of female posters ignore it or just beat around the bush.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
In many cases, for the same reasons some employers require at least a 4-year degree in any field, not necessarily one related to the specific position - simply because it shows that the applicant has what it takes to set a goal, stick to it over a period of several years, and accomplish that goal. A lot of people in this thread seem to be ridiculing it, but to me, it sounds like an entirely valid screening tool. I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

What I'm saying is that a degree vs non-degree isn't a good sample, because people without degrees can range so much. Take someone like meh_whatever's example who is a self taught programmer. He didn't go to college, however he did manage to teach himself programming languages and make it on his own. Plenty of other people are in skilled labor, who go there without a bachelors. Can you really call these people unsuccessful, anti-intellectual and unintelligent because they don't have a degree?

Can you call someone who skated through college, didn't study hard, drank booze and lived off their parents and now make 35k a year in a cubicle successful?

There's so much range between the two scenarios that a degree is a horrible way to judge a person's character or success.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 AM

572 posts, read 709,035 times
Many people start their own business without completing a degree. I don't think it's a good indicator of a person's drive or character at all. You can't measure a person's drive or ambition off a college degree.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 AM

326 posts, read 313,856 times
Spend a 4+ year hitch with Uncle Sam once. You'll never mouth off about your degree in political science ever again...nor some other worthless one.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Having a degree, STEM or non-STEM does not gauge whether or not a person is intelligent and successful.

However, the difficultly in getting a STEM vs non-STEM degree is not comparable.
If you have no intelligence in the field you are pursuing, your degree is going to be difficult. Interest does not always equate to ability.

My husband has advanced STEM degrees and never found it all that difficult. It came easy to him because that's how his brain thinks and functions. Some people have higher non-verbal intelligence while others are more verbal or quantitative. This is what drives whether your degree will be difficult.

I'm surprised you wouldn't acknowledge this, being a STEM grad.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I hate STEM majors. They're always so smug and pointing their noses down at everyone else. I'm an English major and I don't really care if you think it's easy or that I'm less of a person because of it. I'm horrible in math and engineering requires a huge amount of math and there is no way I could ever get through those classes. Most lawyers have degrees in things like English, Philosophy, and History. They are in no way "dumb" or less of a person. Grow up.
Meh.

Just another way of separating people into those who you are better than. Degree, STEM degree, MBA, JD, MD, pHd.

No different than a short woman wanting a man at least 4 inches taller really.

All the same beautiful game of love.

At least degrees are something you can earn.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
There's not too many people who are book smart but at the same time are street smart

Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What I'm saying is that a degree vs non-degree isn't a good sample, because people without degrees can range so much. Take someone like meh_whatever's example who is a self taught programmer. He didn't go to college, however he did manage to teach himself programming languages and make it on his own. Plenty of other people are in skilled labor, who go there without a bachelors. Can you really call these people unsuccessful, anti-intellectual and unintelligent because they don't have a degree?

Can you call someone who skated through college, didn't study hard, drank booze and lived off their parents and now make 35k a year in a cubicle successful?

There's so much range between the two scenarios that a degree is a horrible way to judge a person's character or success.
Burgler.... I have agreed with all your posts on this thread... I think requiring someone have a degree can be a faulty way to judge one's success, wealth, intellectualism, etc. It is very small-minded thinking to me and hints at an individual's dependency on established social norms, rather than independent thinking. It is also often an attempt to stereotype, brag, seek validation. I am immediately turned off when people ask about degree/career or proclaim their degree level.

Get to know the person - their work ethic, character, ideas, dreams - before trying to pigeon-hole them. I think many people have been indoctrinated to follow the established route - get a degree, work for a company, make X amount, buy a house in the burbs, have 2 kids, retire to FL, etc., all the while judging others' paths against their own choices. Boring.

I'd prefer some innovator in the trades, without a degree, who has passion and drive, and creates something unique (a product, business, lifestyle, etc.) and is excited about life, over someone with a Masters degree who unhappily tows the same mundane line for years and operates in a dispassionate state. I'd prefer talking to someone worldly with amazing life experiences to share (like my grandma who dropped out of school at 16 and has lived in 10+ countries and started multiple businesses) rather than a sheltered college grad regurgitating stories/ideas they read in a textbook, but have never applied.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 01-22-2014 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships