Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 11:28 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,126 times

Advertisements

Some people don't want to struggle and want to make sure the person they are interested in has some type of opportunities in life. While I think a degree is good so is a skill/trade (as we have discovered in this economy).
Sometimes there are social norms and a culture shared amongst those who have earned a degree.
A trade/skill is also valuable as you can work for others or yourself and make good money.

Both (trade or education) show that you have the ability to prioritize your life, hopefully you are not comfortable living in bad conditions/accepting low wages, and seek a certain type of lifestyle. Job security, pensions, and high wages for high school graduates disappeared with the 60's. Both parties share similar respect for money and hopefully have goals and priorities. Usually one has been exposed to different environments, different cultures, and different experience that allows for interaction with others.

When you are unequally matched in lifestyle it brings about a strain in a relationship. Resentment, jealousy, power struggles, and failure next to someone who has achieved more can be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:47 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's simply about trying to narrow the field online in an attempt to find someone you may have a bit in common with. Unlike men, many of whom seem to be able to be happy with relative airheads as long as they look "hot”
You are right. There are superficial men who are totally happy with an airhead as long as she’s hot just like there are superficial women who are totally happy with a man who is rich and drives a cool car regardless of him being cold and unromantic.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,201 times
My brother was a high school drop out and a former drug addict. He's the most sucuessful person in our family. He started out as a Laborer doing electrical work, now he runs jobs and makes 200-250K a year.
He knows enough people and other contractors he'll never have to worry about finding a job if his current one somehow pans out. I have an Engineering degree with no debt, I'm lucky if I make 80K in a year. Which is more than enough for me, I'm content.

They are out there, I wouldn't even say it's that rare.. Ambition and work ethic are key, If you're a total moron but have drive in life and work hard you'll do well. If you're smart but to lazy to work for what you want you'll fail, I don't care how much schooling you have.

Source: I went to college with a bunch of useless morons that somehow graduated. School is not hard.. Just do the work and follow instructions. I don't have anymore respect for graduates than I do for anyone else.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:16 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,062 times
Sure there are very successful well off people without a college education, but its just not the norm now. Maybe it was 10 or more years ago, but having ANY degree will put you ahead of those that don't. Most employers would rather hire someone with any degree than someone without. I see some anti-intellectualism in this thread. Is that anti-education attitude any different than those "anti-no education" people? Sometimes I think the people putting down education are just bitter and regret not going to college.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
These days people wonder if college is worth it. You take on all that debt and you're not sure you will get a job. So it's good to know a college degree is good for something. On the other hand I know a few men who are recent college graduates and don't have girlfriends. And some of them are even employed!

Last edited by pvande55; 01-29-2014 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Add lines

Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 PM

I think college is a good idea as long as you have something to fall back on - Don't plan on making it right out of school or you're gonna have a bad time! Personally, I would just go into the trades if I could do it over again.

I'm happy where I'm at now but I really miss doing construction work. It was a lot of fun! Some of those Ironworkers, Fitters, and Electricians make bank! I'm always amazed at how useless some of my co-workers are when it comes to basic mechanical/electrical things. They're definitely not the DYI type people.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I think college is a good idea as long as you have something to fall back on - Don't plan on making it right out of school or you're gonna have a bad time! Personally, I would just go into the trades if I could do it over again.

I'm happy where I'm at now but I really miss doing construction work. It was a lot of fun! Some of those Ironworkers, Fitters, and Electricians make bank! I'm always amazed at how useless some of my co-workers are when it comes to basic mechanical/electrical things. They're definitely not the DYI type people.
Yea the trades are good for most people but as you get older most people at 50 years old can not Ironwork or concrete you know hard manual labor it is not going to happen.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Yea the trades are good for most people but as you get older most people at 50 years old can not Ironwork or concrete you know hard manual labor it is not going to happen.
Haha

If you're still working in the field at that age you're doing it wrong. Typically you make a name for yourself and become a site supt or at least a foreman. You just train people and keep them motivated, but you're still out in the field.

If progression doesn't happen in the first few years it's time for the next chapter. Life isn't that difficult.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 AM

250 posts, read 399,889 times
What kind of Engineering degree do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
Haha

If you're still working in the field at that age you're doing it wrong. Typically you make a name for yourself and become a site supt or at least a foreman. You just train people and keep them motivated, but you're still out in the field.

If progression doesn't happen in the first few years it's time for the next chapter. Life isn't that difficult.

Last edited by HighPSI; 01-30-2014 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 01-07-2015, 12:07 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
It has less to do with actual intelligence and more to do with socio-cultural background. If the girl is say, from a middle class Jewish family on the east cast, she is probably used to dating and socializing with people who all have at least bachelors degrees. It's likely she will not field advances from someone who went to a technical school and became a mechanic, for example, not because she thinks he's dumb but rather because she figures she will have more in common with someone with a bachelors in medicine or law. Statistics show that people tend to date within their "tribe", meaning similar religion, culture, beliefs, socioeconomic status and yes, education.
You are probably right!

Humans are very egotistical, and we like to think that we can walk on water and that the world revolves around us, so naturally we feel entitled to the best in almost all facets of life. I personally think that is crazy, and I think I am one of the more humble people walking around. I place more value in a person's character than I do in any external achievement, degree, job title, or any of the other fancy 'bells and whistles' that people like to wear to impress people.

Humans overestimate their importance and take themselves way too seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships