Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times

Advertisements

Everyone googles everything these days. Fact of life. Get over it, OP. If I found out you were whining as much as you are, we wouldn't be friends, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Haha my coworkers looked me up and said damn she has nothing. There is a site that links everything from college education and clubs that you were in.

The government already is watching you. The younger kids are teaching us and my son is always teaching me.

Its the norm now, the net took away our privacy.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
This is a situation where the OP cannot control what someone else does. If this guy wants to do a web search on you for whatever reason, he will do one. I suspect he thought he was being clever and that you would, too, butwhen he realized he wasn't nearly as clever as he thought, he added the "I'm just kidding part." I think he's harmless from what you posted, but if it bothers you so much, let the friendship go.

Hell, I'm googling myself right now. Apparently, I'm bad news.
Make sure you google your screen names, you can find out where other people are talking about you.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAdvice View Post
So the consensus seems to be that no one would really care if they were in my shoes and had the same happen to them....

Oh well, guess I'm just an overly private person

I'm totally aware people do this all the time, just kinda surprised someone I barely know did it -and- actually told me they did (and brought up things I care NOT to be reminded of )

ETA: Oh..and then said they were 'just kidding'.
Things that are a matter of public record and found on the internet are not the person who is doing a run of your name's responsibility. He's not responsible for the information you wish wasn't there and would like to forget about. That is the complete and total responsibility of yourself and the entity posting it.

From this post I can also spot someone who is looking to whine and have people agree with them and disregard other posts which state differently by the rolling eyes. Typical.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I just saw a washer and dryer for sale (ad) on Craigslist where the seller said he would do background checks on lookers as well the buyer. He also said he would do one on anyone coming to his home to pick up and move washer & dryer. He said he would be taking down ID information, addresses, etc. Needless to say, that fruitcake has yet to sell primo newish set at a really dirt cheap price! Do you wonder why???!!! BTW, I called about it, and found out his address. No, he does not live in a wealthy neighborhood or expensive home!! He sounded highly paranoid and unreasonable!! I quickly walked away for that bargain.

Same goes for that so called pal of the OP's. You should be running--not walking--away from that one!!

I was told by a very good male friend who is in law enforcement to NEVER sell anything from my home on that site because there are people who will show up as interested to buy, but they are really casing the house to see if they want to come back and burglarize it or worse. I think the Seller should have just stayed off of Craiglist, which is what I do.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I was told by a very good male friend who is in law enforcement to NEVER sell anything from my home on that site because there are people who will show up as interested to buy, but they are really casing the house to see if they want to come back and burglarize it or worse. I think the Seller should have just stayed off of Craiglist, which is what I do.
Perhaps the only real solution to such modern problems would be to sell stuff from a storage unit?

Makes me miss the days of unlocked front doors. Oy!

I don't envy the OP or young people today.

It's issues like those touched on in this thread, which are whacky and depressing.

We are all individually becoming Big Brother.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:27 PM

326 posts, read 313,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Things that are a matter of public record and found on the internet are not the person who is doing a run of your name's responsibility. He's not responsible for the information you wish wasn't there and would like to forget about. That is the complete and total responsibility of yourself and the entity posting it.

From this post I can also spot someone who is looking to whine and have people agree with them and disregard other posts which state differently by the rolling eyes. Typical.
The day needs to come where any and all repercussions that come from some dumb SOB putting your info (UNAUTHORIZED) on the net will be held accountable. If that woman dies because you posted her info online... You should be locked up. If that ICE Officer's identity is revealed and he and his family are killed....nice knowin' ya. Same goes for the Special Operations community...lawyers, Judges....anyone.

I know in my State the media got their asses sued off for posting every single CCW holders names in the whole State. Not only did you open the door for theft, you also jeopardized their safety as well as their families.

You should be locked up!

Someone should not have access to personal information just by doing a simple Google search. It's classified....means mind your own ****ing business.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 AM

^^^ I'm not speaking of extremes like you posted. There are things which are a matter of public record and were printed in the newspaper long before the age of computers. These include Bankruptsy, Arrest Records, Marriage, Divorce, Children Born to, Death Notices, buying or selling a home and for how much, etc.

There is also a directory, which is typically purchased by large business or it can be found at the library and is now found on-line. You can find a person, address, phone numbers (even if they are unlisted) their age, their spouses name, children and their ages, their occupation and place of employment. This method has been around for years. With the information gathered there (which I believe comes from census information) you can find how many times and for what were the police dispatched to their home, the make, model, year and color of their vehicle. Divorces and marriages and financial information such as bankruptsy. Private Investigators, newpapers and real estate people often use it.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
When I was in my twenties, I went out with a guy who was a state police investigator who told me up front that he ran a background check on me before our date, and told me that he'd check out everywhere I'd ever lived to see if it "matched my story." He was a former MP and had worked as a repo man in between his Army time and in working for the state police, and was intensely conservative and a conspiracy theory type. He creeped me out and it was our only date.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
When I was in my twenties, I went out with a guy who was a state police investigator who told me up front that he ran a background check on me before our date, and told me that he'd check out everywhere I'd ever lived to see if it "matched my story." He was a former MP and had worked as a repo man in between his Army time and in working for the state police, and was intensely conservative and a conspiracy theory type. He creeped me out and it was our only date.
I'm surprised he admitted it because it's against the law to use those methods on the job, for personal use. He's abusing the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships