Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm thinking about where the happiest couples I know met.

My two sets of aunts and uncles who are very happily married grew up together in the same neighborhoods.

My British buddy met his wife at a party the night before he was to leave the country they were both living in. He knew she was the one and, if I recall correctly, skipped his flight to stick around a bit longer. They are still together some 15 years later.

My cousin met his wife at a night club (and a rather cheesy one at that).

A friend of a friend met her husband through a club they were in - either cycling or speed skating, can't remember which.

Still another friend met her significant other through a dog-sport club (See why I tell everyone to get a hobby?)

One of my buddies met his wife at the retail bookstore where we all worked.

A friend of mine married a guy she met while standing in line for concert tickets.
And this is why we tell people to chat up people you're waiting in line with!

Great stories, Jrz!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
LOL. I thought you meant the guys behind the counter
Oh hell no! Lmao!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
I'm thinking about where the happiest couples I know met.

My two sets of aunts and uncles who are very happily married grew up together in the same neighborhoods.

My British buddy met his wife at a party the night before he was to leave the country they were both living in. He knew she was the one and, if I recall correctly, skipped his flight to stick around a bit longer. They are still together some 15 years later.

My cousin met his wife at a night club (and a rather cheesy one at that).

A friend of a friend met her husband through a club they were in - either cycling or speed skating, can't remember which.

Still another friend met her significant other through a dog-sport club (See why I tell everyone to get a hobby?)

One of my buddies met his wife at the retail bookstore where we all worked.

A friend of mine married a guy she met while standing in line for concert tickets.

Oooh! Great post! We should all do this, maybe it will give some folks ideas?

Okay, gonna go through all the couples I know who are married 15 plus years..

My sisters both met their husbands in church. Married around 25 years each.

My kid's godparents met at college, they started dating and the rest was history. Got married shortly after graduation... I think it's been 15 years?

I know quite a few long term couples that met in college actually. That one is popular.

My favorite college story is my hubby's mentor. He was a ***** in college, he had sex with all her friends and she was the one who refused him. 8 years or so after graduation, they ran into each other randomly and got to talking. He had matured, she agreed to a date. They got married soon after. Heh. Reformed manwhores FTW!!!!

My hubby's best friend met his wife because she was the girl always hanging out in the bar he frequented while in grad school, usually beating everyone at pool while all the guys swooned. She also also intelligently argued with him about underground hip hop and comic book characters. It was love at first sight. LOL

My best friend met her husband because they were dating each other's friends (SCANDAL!!!!) They broke up with the friends and started seeing each other. Married 15 years, 4 kids.

One friend met her husband because he hit on her in the street and she gave him her number. Later that night her roommate's date knocked on the door. It was him. The roommate was offended that the same guy hit on both girls and refused to go out with him. My friend said "what the hell, free meal" and went in her place. They've been together 25 years or so, 2 kids. LOL

Old 01-24-2014, 06:39 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Oooh! Great post! We should all do this, maybe it will give some folks ideas?

Okay, gonna go through all the couples I know who are married 15 plus years..

My sisters both met their husbands in church. Married around 25 years each.

My kid's godparents met at college, they started dating and the rest was history. Got married shortly after graduation... I think it's been 15 years?

I know quite a few long term couples that met in college actually. That one is popular.

My favorite college story is my hubby's mentor. He was a ***** in college, he had sex with all her friends and she was the one who refused him. 8 years or so after graduation, they ran into each other randomly and got to talking. He had matured, she agreed to a date. They got married soon after. Heh. Reformed manwhores FTW!!!!

My hubby's best friend met his wife because she was the girl always hanging out in the bar he frequented while in grad school, usually beating everyone at pool while all the guys swooned. She also also intelligently argued with him about underground hip hop and comic book characters. It was love at first sight. LOL

My best friend met her husband because they were dating each other's friends (SCANDAL!!!!) They broke up with the friends and started seeing each other. Married 15 years, 4 kids.

One friend met her husband because he hit on her in the street and she gave him her number. Later that night her roommate's date knocked on the door. It was him. The roommate was offended that the same guy hit on both girls and refused to go out with him. My friend said "what the hell, free meal" and went in her place. They've been together 25 years or so, 2 kids. LOL
Lol. Those are nice stories and all but they aren't exactly inspiring.

Some pretty sleazy stuff and they all kind of prove that good looking sleazy men win.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 PM

887 posts, read 1,100,154 times
If we had a thread for this, I wonder how many guys know how their good friends met their SO's. I personally don't have a clue. Only other couple I know how they met is my folks, on a blind date, and the only reason my mom gave my dad a second date was because he drove a mustang HAHAHA. I am under the impression that this is something women discuss because of the romantic interest. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:50 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Lol. Those are nice stories and all but they aren't exactly inspiring.

Some pretty sleazy stuff and they all kind of prove that good looking sleazy men win.
The funny part is only one of the guys is particularly good looking.

The only sleazy stories is the college manwhore and the ones who were dating each other's friends. The rest were pretty tame. Crush on the cool girl at the bar? College sweethearts? Church dudes? All rated G. Even the guy who accidently hit on the roommates didn't have a girlfriend at the time or anything, he was just trying to take out pretty girls in search for a girlfriend, but failed to comprehend just how small the town was. LOL. He had only met the roommate a few days before and was trying to take her on a first date.

If it helps, I met my hubby online!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptacular View Post
If we had a thread for this, I wonder how many guys know how their good friends met their SO's. I personally don't have a clue. Only other couple I know how they met is my folks, on a blind date, and the only reason my mom gave my dad a second date was because he drove a mustang HAHAHA. I am under the impression that this is something women discuss because of the romantic interest. I'd love to be proven wrong.
I know how my guy friends have met their wives. Almost every single one.

Not only that, but I know how my female friends have all met their husbands.

It varies. Everything from foreign language programs to online.

One of my friends is almost as bad with women as me, and he met his SO online and they are going to get married. He had to go through a lot of rejection and women doing crappy, crappy things to him to get there though.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
All of those ideas sound like a pain in the ass.

I'd rather just say hi to someone I find attractive.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
All of those ideas sound like a pain in the ass.

I'd rather just say hi to someone I find attractive.
Thanks for your support and information LOL.

I, myself, am very comfortable going to social functions and also talking to people in everyday circumstance. I dated a guy for years I met at a self serve car wash. But we are addressing those who have been hibernating behind their computers and don't know what to do without them for the most part.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Thanks for your support and information LOL.

I, myself, am very comfortable going to social functions and also talking to people in everyday circumstance. I dated a guy for years I met at a self serve car wash. But we are addressing those who have been hibernating behind their computers and don't know what to do without them for the most part.
I do think it's true and has more of an impact than you think.

I think it's a problem for lonely men. Maybe some guy doesn't go out that much. Maybe he meets a girl at work and they get along pretty well and he falls for her.

Little does he know that she has men she has met from meetups, online dating, her school social circle, her friends social circle, bars she frequents, etc, etc, the SELF SERVE CAR WASH! and she has all of those options to choose from. He obviously has no chance.

So basically, lonely men need to ramp up their social life and get with a faster social pace to have a chance. It's just not easy to do that a lot of the time, for different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships