Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,889,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I hear ya, sister. The ex before my last? If I had met him on an OLD site, I would have automatically deemed him "incompatible" based on his appearance. He just wasn't that good-looking. But because I met him in person, I saw how his personality shone through. I was instantly attracted to his mind within five minutes. We took things slowly, getting to know each other's personality, values, goals, etc., over time. Again, an OLD site would have said we were "incompatible" because of our spiritual/religious and political differences -- which never affected us at all.

He's the only ex I still talk to, and the only one I ever considered a "friend" while we were in a relationship together.
One of my exes same thing. We are still friends but I doubt we would have connected online. Our chemistry developed in time and he's a wonderful guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 03:25 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have met they weirdest freaks, got offered threesomes, etc. etc. Interesting, but partially scary experiences.
The "Yick!" factor of online dating really wore me down. For every one guy who sounded semi-normal, there were four who messaged me for "pictures" (translated: nude selfies), who were "in town for the night" and wanted to meet me at a hotel (Do I come across as some kind of hooker?), or who vented at me because I am childless by choice -- those were the worst, because they got really nasty. It made me feel demoralized after a while.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:25 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
I hear ya, sister. The ex before my last? If I had met him on an OLD site, I would have automatically deemed him "incompatible" based on his appearance. He just wasn't that good-looking. But because I met him in person, I saw how his personality shone through. I was instantly attracted to his mind within five minutes. .
Haha, well, that's what I thought, too. I wouldn't have picked any of my exes from dating sites, because their appearance wasn't great, but they their personality made them interesting.

So I chose average looking guys on these sites but forgot that this average looking pic was taken at least 10 years and 40 lbs ago or from their best angle when it was half dark. Most guys were extremely unattractive in person and their personality didn't make it any better.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Never ever again. I rather stay single forever.

I had about 50 first dates last year. 40 of the guys weren't what they said they are, looks wise and other stuff.

10 of them actually were the way they represented themselves online. 5 of those didn't want me. The other 5 either took off when I didn't kiss them right on the first date or abandoned me after the 2-3 rd date when we didn't end up at eithers place. It takes a bit more to get me laid and I am glad they showed their true colors early on.

No more online dating sites. Very frustrating. I have met they weirdest freaks, got offered threesomes, etc. etc. Interesting, but partially scary experiences.
Had all of that happen too. Way too many liars who lied about height, job, weight, age, marital status etc. One guy was honest with me on all levels and he was pleasant to be with, but later that week he said he felt no chemistry. Others, yep expected sex right away and one guy mentioned all the women he slept with from sites.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
The "Yick!" factor of online dating really wore me down. For every one guy who sounded semi-normal, there were four who messaged me for "pictures" (translated: nude selfies), who were "in town for the night" and wanted to meet me at a hotel (Do I come across as some kind of hooker?), or who vented at me because I am childless by choice -- those were the worst, because they got really nasty. It made me feel demoralized after a while.
I'm not really childless by choice (as in I may have had kids with the right partner but it was never a definite)but I can attest to the hatred many childless women get online, especially if they refuse to date dads. I got some heinous messages from those men and some of them made me cry. I also got a lot of nude photos and many men who wanted sex or internet sex.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:30 PM

then there is all these code words and rules who are part of "the game".

I had a first date and even though the guy was kinda mad that I didn't want to kiss him, we agreed to meet again. Since we talked about liking nature and dogs, I suggested a hiking date. He got all riled up and said that daytime dates stand for "no interest" and "friend zone" and disappeared. Weird.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 PM

322 posts, read 504,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
They are paid sites, which suck money and time. Try a free site so you have nothing invested, unless you choose...
Which ones are free?

Old 01-24-2014, 03:34 PM

POF (PLENTY OF FISH) - but I have been there as well. No difference other than more guys just looking to hook up.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm not really childless by choice (as in I may have had kids with the right partner but it was never a definite)but I can attest to the hatred many childless women get online, especially if they refuse to date dads. I got some heinous messages from those men and some of them made me cry.
Me too. And in my profile, I didn't say anything mean about single dads; I just said that I was CBC and looking for the same, that's really it. I'm not one of those angry childfree people who hate parents and kids, either. The main reason I thought that OLD might work for me was that I'd be able to find someone who was childless by choice, too. My last ex was, and that gave us the groundwork for a solid future together. But ... I just think that part of our problem was that we met online and didn't get to know the other important things about each other.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:41 PM

Hmm, I never got any hatred about the child issue. I guess at least one bad thing I didn't have to experience.

I found it scary that so many guys between 35-45 posted that their longest relationship was 1-2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships