Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 AM

8 posts, read 7,156 times

Advertisements

This is kind of silly but I thought I'd ask because I don't know.

There is this new girl at a place I work at part time. She's sort of my "responsibility" so it makes sense she'd spend a lot of time with me throughout the day.

I just find it weird that she is always around me even when we're on breaks. She's also always in my personal space and I keep bumping into her because she is so close to me all the time. At the same time she doesn't seem interested in me the same way I would think women would normally be. She has my number and we never text, she also doesn't talk to me much about things other than work. I wonder if the personal space thing is just cultural.

She is from Guatemala and has like 10 siblings but she has also lived here most her life.

EDIT: I'm not really a clumsy person either I just don't expect someone to be less than a foot away from me when there is so much open space around. I've accidentally touched her breasts with my elbows a bunch because she is right behind me and our hands and arms keep touching when grabbing things. This is all fine with me but I'm just wondering.

Last edited by westcoastdude; 01-26-2014 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastdude View Post
This is kind of silly but I thought I'd ask because I don't know.

There is this new girl at a place I work at part time. She's sort of my "responsibility" so it makes sense she'd spend a lot of time with me throughout the day.

I just find it weird that she is always around me even when we're on breaks. She's also always in my personal space and I keep bumping into her and have accidentally touched her in ways that would normally be "inappropriate" because she is so close all the time and I'm not expecting her to be right there. At the same time she doesn't seem interested in me the same way I would think women would normally be. She has my number and we never text, she also doesn't talk to me much about things other than work. I wonder if the personal space thing is just cultural.

She is from Guatemala and has like 10 siblings but she has also lived here most her life.

You're looking into it way too much.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:45 AM

8 posts, read 7,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You're looking into it way too much.
I just think its really weird. Maybe this belongs somewhere else on here but I've always felt that if I keep making physical contact with a girl it means she likes me.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:06 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
She might be hanging around you a lot because you're her "superior" in a sense. She's probably looking to you on how to direct her and she may also be nervous. Hence why she's even around you on breaks. Keep in mind, people from other cultures have different ideas of personal space so hers may not be as stringent as the typical North American's view.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:31 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
She might be hanging around you a lot because you're her "superior" in a sense. She's probably looking to you on how to direct her and she may also be nervous. Hence why she's even around you on breaks. Keep in mind, people from other cultures have different ideas of personal space so hers may not be as stringent as the typical North American's view.
I would agree with this^^^

You would probably hear the jungle guide say the same thing. Lol!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:01 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
hahaha

Tell her you are highly contagious (don't elaborate)

Old 01-26-2014, 08:04 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
If it's bothering you why not just tell her? Who cares if it's cultural? She's living in America where we have "personal space", SHE needs to accept that things are different here. I really get tired of Americans being expected to conform to others when THEY are the ones who came here and should conform to OUR ways! Next time she does that just be like "Can you give me a little personal space, please?".

Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Puzzled why her race was brought up, especially in the thread title.

Quote:
I wonder if the personal space thing is just cultural.
No, it's not.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:42 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Do you work for a fairly large company? Go immediately to your personnel people and tell them what is going on and ask them to reassign her to someone else. You are CRUISING for a sexual harassment allegation even though none of this appears to be your fault. She may not be this innocent not understanding personal space woman that you think she is. She is harassing you and you need to take this seriously before you lose your job. All men and women understand the language of what is going on when a woman is getting so close that you are brushing up against her breast.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
If YOU are interested in her then simply ask her out after work? If she's not into you, she'll run the other way. Problem solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships