Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:42 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times

Advertisements

You are definetly right about that. I was engaged to an Elvis impersonator when I was 21 and he was 34. It lasted 3 1/2 years ( this was back in the seventies folks) I cannot imagine being married to someone that is that much older than me now that I am older! Eeewww! He had been married twice before I met him and I think four times after I left him. Lucky me got away with just an engagement. It's like time stood still for him..almost all the other girls were 21 also after me. The Elvis thing is a whole other thread!lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,567 times
How many marriages should one have?

Are marriages really needed?
Can't one have the same kind of relationship without a signed piece of paper?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:22 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times
I may be old fashioned, but I believe if you are planning on having kids with your mate then you should get married, hopefully first. I waited until I was 35 to get married and had our only child at 37.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
My dad was married four times. I learned from his mistakes. My first one is still going strong after 23 years together, 18 of them as husband and wife.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 AM

272 posts, read 620,962 times
How many? None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almighty View Post
I got a good laugh out of a conversation I was part of last night with an old friend of mine who is going through a divorce. He tried to explain why "the first marriage isn't supposed to work". I couldn't help myself! I wanted to be there for him, but it was too funny! He said he was in "group" with other divorceés and this was what the "counselor" told them.

According to him, the first marriage is to find out what you're looking for in a marriage. To figure out what you enjoy, what you don't, and what you expect of your spouse. (trying very hard not to laugh) What do you think of this?

I mean, maybe I'm a little too old-fashioned. I thought that one of the marriage vows was 'until death due us part'. Maybe I misread them. lol I, personally, don't feel at all as if there should be the option of "second marriage", "third marriage", "fifteenth marriage"... You know? I mean, can you see what I'm saying here? I think if you go into a marriage thinking, "hey, if it doesn't work I can always get rid of you," that you're dooming yourself. Just my opinion...

Old 12-03-2007, 11:32 AM

22,173 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
For me once is enough, I know I am young but I honestly feel that if anything ever happend to my husband I would never marry again.
Yes that does sound like a "young" comment, as in young and idealistic, or young and inexperienced, or young and sure of how the world works, or young and sure of how you may be feeling in 5 or 8 or 27 years. That is not a criticism, just an observation. I had similar views when I went into my marriage, which lasted 12 years.

But now a couple decades later, life is too precious to waste either staying in a relationship that is not working; or pining for one that has passed; or pining for a person that is gone. Yes, people do that, but it seems to me a waste of life and joy. Also...I can't help but think that the people who truly love me best and really have my best interests at heart, would NOT want me "putting my life on hold" for their sake, they would want me out there enjoying life and love to the fullest.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
Are marriages really needed?
Can't one have the same kind of relationship without a signed piece of paper?
No, it is a very different relationship. There are significant financial advantages and protection. There are legal advantages and protection. And if you have ever tried to see a loved one (but not "married" loved one) in a hospital room, and they deny you access because you are not married, it is a heartbreak.

It is also a measure of a person's commitment, to the person, to the long haul, to the relationship. Not saying it's better one way or the other, but it is a MEASURE.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
You are definetly right about that. I was engaged to an Elvis impersonator when I was 21 and he was 34.
LOL that made my day. I have a buddy who does stand up comedy and he appears sometimes as an Elvis, and it totally cracks me up. He sent a xmas card that was 8 look-alike elvis in white suits, all shovling snow.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
I joke sometimes that the marraige license should come with an renewal options or an expiration date....
But if I had given up on my dh after our 1st two years, I would have missed out on one of the most caring and loving people I have ever known...and that's 20 yrs later.

Trust me he even tells people that he doesn't understand why I didn't either kill him or leave him during that time.

I always hope for just one marriage for everybody but understand when things don't work out that way. My own parents split after 26 yrs.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 17,152 times
I think you can look at things the counselor says as putting positive spin on the situation where a first marriage doesn't work. In other words, it wasn't a waste of time and the person got somthing out of it. I think its a little judgemental (no, change that to really judgmental) to say all you get is one bite at the apple - one marriage or you don't get the true meaning of marrige. But, for most people, even on their 4th marriage or whatever, they don't go into it with thoughts that its not going to work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships