Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 PM

38 posts, read 45,947 times

Advertisements

I'm a lean guy and I'm on my feet most the day anyway. I don't really need to work out to be healthy.

I do it anyway because I feel fit women probably want a fit guy. I don't mean a ripped steroid abusing guy but someone with muscles that you can see and a reasonably flat stomach where I have abs when I flex. My goal would be to have the type of physique Jet Li had in his day. I'm white but have a similar body type and have been in that kind of shape before when I was involved in sports in high school.

I'm wondering if its worth my time though. I have to spend over an hour every day in the gym when I could be doing other things I enjoy or maybe being social and meeting women.

So do women really care? I'd think fit women would care about my abs, shoulders, back, and arms the same way I care about a woman's legs, stomach, and butt. I care quite a lot about those things so I find it hard to believe that a woman wouldn't but I have seen that elsewhere online.

EDIT: I know its not the most important or defining factor. I have control over my body though and if it helps me be more attractive to be in shape I'll do it, if it doesn't matter any more than hair color or something like that I'm probably not going to bother.

Last edited by brosef; 01-28-2014 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,066,507 times
It's not the be-all, end-all but it matters for me. My husband is a pretty fit guy, and I find him very attractive but that's not the only reason.

I've been attracted to men that are not as fit as he is as well.

It really is the sum of all parts and not just body parts and isolated personality traits.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:51 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
No, most women don't really care. There are more important things, like personality, character, heart, brains.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
It's not the be-all, end-all but it matters for me. My husband is a pretty fit guy, and I find him very attractive but that's not the only reason.

I've been attracted to men that are not as fit as he is as well.

It really is the sum of all parts and not just body parts and isolated personality traits.
Of course. Its just I have control over my body and if I'm more attractive if I'm in shape I'm going to try to be in shape. At the same time if its rather inconsequential like hair color I'm not going to bother.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:13 PM

18 posts, read 26,796 times
Muscles, schmusles. To me a sense of humor and a kind heart are more important.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:21 PM

136 posts, read 176,480 times
If you're in a decent height rage (5'11"-6'6"), then there's no need to put effort into your body. The only aspect of your body that matters a non-trivial amount to women is your height. The guys I've known who were best with women were about 6'2" and skinny -- I'm talking spaghetti arms and chicken legs, the skateboarder or rockstar body type. If we exclude height as a component of body type, I would say there's a trivial correlation between male body type and attractiveness.

Getting buff will most likely hurt you. If you're a guy who is tall and has handsome facial features, then getting buff is a waste of time unless you're trying to a Men's Health model or unless you're making yourself functionally fit for a sport you play. If you're a guy who's not tall, then getting buff will make women view you as compensating -- which you probably are.

There are plenty of better things to focus on if your goal is to attract more women. Making more money or finding a better hairstyle will do 1000x more than lifting weights will.

(Here's a short video that you should watch about male sex appeal. The conclusion is that muscles don't matter at all. Given pictures of different male bodies, women say they're attracted to the one that looks the most like a Men's Health model, but while this may be true, height overshadows everything when they go out and actually select men.)

Secrets of the Sexes Male Height - YouTube

Old 01-28-2014, 11:33 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,170 times
A bit is nice, but not necessary. I'm more concerned with intelligence, wit, kindness, etc.

For the record, my BF would probably be described by most on this forum as 'scrawny'.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmygibbler View Post
Muscles, schmusles. To me a sense of humor and a kind heart are more important.
Sure other things are more important but I am who I am as a person, I'm not changing that even if I can. I'm just wondering how much being fit counts to fit women.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,628 times
Muscles don't really bother me at all, I just like the average guy as long as he's sweet. Looks fade, personality stays.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:14 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Hot, as long as it's not too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships