Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Length of time doesn't have as much to do with it as depth of feeling.

You just don't seem into her enough to marry, so what's the point. You are now bringing an ultimatum to the table. That is not very romantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:33 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
It sounds like she's a sweet girl and you really care about her, but she's just not the girl for you. Marriage is really really hard and it's a lot harder if you don't agree about how to manage your money, where to live, etc. I don't think you should feel guilty because all the concerns you listed are valid. It sounds like you want things to work out because you've been dating a certain amount of time and you have mutual friends now and your lives are so closely linked, but you can't ignore that voice in the back of your head telling you that she's not right for you.

In my opinion, you should just end the relationship. Be honest, but kind. Tell her you don't have the same ideas about money or where to live and that although you care about her deeply, you two are not right for each other. I think you should be kind, but firm and clear - this is the end of the relationship, period. She may love you enough and desire marriage enough that she might say she'll change, she might plead it can be worked out. And she might want to change, but no one should have to change the core of the person they are to please someone else. And it's not fair of you to let her even attempt to try.

You might be the bad guy in her mind and in the minds of your friends for awhile, but ultimately she will realize you did her a favor and she can meet someone who knows for sure they want to marry her and can't imagine life without her because she deserves that. And so do you. It's just not going to be with each other.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddev1l View Post
the challenge here is that I want to put some distance between us to collect my thoughts about the situation without the influence of being close to her which can sway me to stick on. She constantly wants to see me each and every day and constantly makes plans for us to go out or to do stuff with her friends. There is also the situation that many of my close friends have become friends with her as well and I know any breakup will be a huge disappointment to our friends as well... I know I shouldn't care about anyone else but this only puts even more pressure to stick on or at the very least question and second guess any decision one makes.
This sounds a little stifling. Everyone needs alone time, it's healthy. Also: don't make such an important decision based on disappointing your friends. That's the wrong reason to make a decision.

I think Elnina was right; she's not the right one, otherwise you wouldn't have so many doubts. Have you tried talking to her about giving you a little space, like not seeing each other every day, not spending the time you do have together always doing stuff with her friends? Bonding time at home is important, as is some alone time for each of you. It's all about finding the right balance.

P.S. I read your long post about the cruise, etc. You need to let her go. She picks fights over nothing. And she's not a good communicator. Good communication is essential. You've put in enough time waiting for things to improve. They haven't. Move on. I can see why it's hard to make that call, since you two have so much in common. But if you've truly tried to work on the communication issues and there's been no improvement, it's time to quit. If you really want to give it one more try, you two should get counseling on communication skills. Probably both of you have something to learn in that regard. And that co-signing thing with her family should scare the daylights out of you. Weird family.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-31-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 04:14 PM

79 posts, read 139,669 times
soo... IF I want to take a 6 hour drive to Phoenix (from LA) to do some real estate research by myself and just needed some alone time to do it and she gets upset that I am going without her. Do you think this is being too clingy? I plan to drive up Fri eve and come back Sun eve.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
It's all about intent and history.

If she ALWAYS acts like this when you go somewhere without her, it's bad.
If you ALWAYS want to go without her, however, it's bad.

As a mature adult, you should be able to do something you want to do without your SO freaking out.

If you find yourself dreading to tell her things, you have a problem.

You already know this, though. You just don't want to face it.

Listen to your gut.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:25 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
Sit her down, tell her exactly how you feel, and stress that you need to take a few days to collect your thoughts, since the stress at work and your arguments have been somewhat overwhelming. You dont really have to talk about marriage or your future together, just tell her you need some alone time. Dont let anyone pressure you into marriage, its a losing proposition for men in general. If you really want it (for whatever unknown reason), then get married. Good rule of thumb is to think of your SO that they will be who they are today, for the rest of their lives. Dont wait for her to change.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:36 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This sounds a little stifling...
It's also a big indicator that the OP is probably not ready to be married to this girl, since being married usually results in constant contact with one another.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:39 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddev1l View Post
Me and the GF have been together for just about 2 years and I would say in the past 6-7 months we've had some rifts between us. I'm 39 and she is 33. As the current situation stands we're doing ok but in the last month or two i've been having some doubts about the long term viability of the relationship especially since she has been waiting for marriage for a while.

I've always been clear that I am not yet ready but I seriously do not know when I will be confident enough to marry her. I've considered breakup many times but keep changing my mind as I do not know if that is the right course of action and at the last minute feel I should wait a bit longer to see how it goes. In addition, the last month I've had a lot of pressures at work and it's just been impossible to add any more stress to the situation without seriously compromising my performance at work so I just decided to put taking a decision off.

As I said our relationship has been up and down and sometimes I have a strong urge to stay and make it work and at other times I have a strong urge to just split up and forget about the whole thing. These are two extreme conflicting emotions and it's really confusing. How does one resolve this dilemma?
You break up for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships