Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,551 times

Advertisements

Every now and then we see a thread about cars and what car attracts the opposite sex. I saw this article on Yahoo and immediately though of this forum. Sounds like a fun topic (really, I wouldn't take this too seriously... it's a Yahoo automotive article after all). But I think it does give some insight to how, on average, the opposite sex might view your vehicle.

I fit the stereotype as I can say that I do find guys in trucks to be more sexy. The man I am dating now has two Ford trucks (and a Harley... they didn't mention bikes here). And I drive a little red Pontiac myself (not a BMW... but it's still a kind of sports car... and it's red! lol).

Yahoo!

Quote:

Women ranked these styles as cars that attractive men drive:

• Pickup trucks: 32%
• Sports cars: 27%
• SUVs: 16%
• Sedans: 11%
• Hybrid or electric: 9%
• UPS truck: 4%
• Minivans: 2%
• Mail truck: 1%

The top brands of car for attractive men, as ranked by women, were Ford (16%), Chevrolet (13%) and Porsche (11%). Women overwhelmingly point to black (53%) as the color of cars driven by good-looking men, followed by silver (16%) and red (13%).

Here’s how men ranked car types for attractive women:

• Sports cars: 39%
• Sedans: 22%
• SUVs: 20%
• Pickup trucks: 10%
• Hybrid or electric vehicle: 6%
• Minivans: 4%

Men envision desirable gals in BMWs (16%), Mercedes-Benzes (14%) and Porsches (10%). The top car colors for attractive women were red (40%), black (23%) and silver (14%).
I have to wonder why or how mail truck came up.

Aside from the type and color, they talked about what is really the most important and the least important things too the people surveyed.

Quote:
These observations are supported by survey results. When asked what’s most important about a car belonging to the opposite sex, people say:

1. That it is clean. (Women: 45%. Men: 43%.)
2. That it is reliable. (Women: 37%. Men: 29%.)
Less important are:
3. That it is interesting. (Women: 7%. Men: 12%.)
4. That it is new or new-ish. (Women: 6%. Men: 9%.)
5. That it is expensive. (Women: 4%. Men: 6%.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
It almost seems like people were just saying what they thought they should...

Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Probably a uniform thing...

Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
I would have voted the same.

Pickup trucks: 32%
• Sports cars: 27%
• SUVs: 16%
• Sedans: 11%
• Hybrid or electric: 9%
• UPS truck: 4%
• Minivans: 2%
• Mail truck: 1%

Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
It almost seems like people were just saying what they thought they should...
Could be... there is always that risk. But some people tried to dissect the answers to find a reasoning. The reasons tended to be a bit sexist though, I will say that. For example:

Quote:

"Among the general public, a black pickup truck is a reflection of a masculine owner. A woman walks up to a black pickup truck and says to herself, 'Here's a guy who can help me move, bring me large gifts from Crate & Barrel and do repairs around my condo.'"

Wiesenfelder thinks there a several factors at play in the choice of red BMW sports car for women. First, the BMW is a luxury car, so it suggests the owner has a disposable income. "As a single man, that's attractive to me," he says. "I don't want to carry the entire relationship."

Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,720 times
anybody that is attracted to a person based on a vehicle should kill themselves

Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,573 times
Unless he had a need for a really large truck, I always wonder what he's compensating for.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
How funny. There is a running joke in our house that guys who drive oversized black pickups are usually ******* drivers.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Every now and then we see a thread about cars and what car attracts the opposite sex. I saw this article on Yahoo and immediately though of this forum. Sounds like a fun topic (really, I wouldn't take this too seriously... it's a Yahoo automotive article after all). But I think it does give some insight to how, on average, the opposite sex might view your vehicle.

I fit the stereotype as I can say that I do find guys in trucks to be more sexy. The man I am dating now has two Ford trucks (and a Harley... they didn't mention bikes here). And I drive a little red Pontiac myself (not a BMW... but it's still a kind of sports car... and it's red! lol).

Yahoo!

Aside from the type and color, they talked about what is really the most important and the least important things too the people surveyed.

Don't laugh at guys in UPS trucks, they make decent money.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
anybody that is attracted to a person based on a vehicle should kill themselves
I agree that someone's vehicle should be a non-issue and I don't think any of the people surveyed (or the surveyors) were actually saying that the vehicle was really all that important. Like I said, this is kind of a "for fun" thread and it was a lighthearted survey. It's certainly not scientific by any means. It's kind of like asking what you think of how the opposite sex dresses or something. It might be a head turner and some people might have an idea of what is sexy and what isn't, but for most people, it's the person and the substance of the person that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships